Credit card reader compatible

I currently don't have any credit card accounts, but I have gotten a request for one from one of my accounts.  That account currently has a FSI 3014A snack machine and a Dixie 368 drink  are either of these machines able to have a credit card reader?

There are upgrade kits out for older machines. Here is one, I believe, for the snack: http://stores.vendorstech.com/inone-control-board-upgrade-kit-for-usi-3013-3014-3015-no-drop-sensors/. I have been looking at a upgrade kit for another model of machine, but I have no experience with them. Maybe some of the people on here with give some input.  I also stumbled across this the other day that gives single priced soda machines credit card abilities: http://stores.vendorstech.com/sem-sp1-single-price-to-mdb-conversion-kit-dex-credit-card-readers-supported/. Again I have no experience so I would love input. These conversions are expensive, but depending on your accessibility to newer machines, may be cheaper in the long run. Just a thought that would like some experienced input. 

The only reason those kits make sense is if the machines in question are upstairs, or have been walled in.

For the price of those kits you could almost get newer machines.

The main advantage of newer machines, especially for the soda, is the ability to have a multiprice, higher capacity, bottle capable machine.

The dicie machined depend entirely on what's in it (single price, sii, siid, mpc) as well as what you want to do.  The royal 650 can handle mdb but i think the oldest boards cannot handle card reader data (i could be wrong.  I do know, however, that older royal 650's need the boards replaced if you want to get cash sales reported. 

Unlikely.  The "extra" board is probably not extra at all.  Nationals of that and older eras came with multiple boards.  There is usually a main board and at least one more which is called a coin mech interface board or something like that.

Card readers, to my knowledge, all connect via MDB.  It doesn't matter how many boards you have if none can run MDB.

For the National 147 as well as the USI 3014a you can use an Inone Kit to upgrade to MDB.  The National 147 can also be upgraded with a Vendors Exchange kit.

I've upgrade both of these models of machines with these kits and have been pleased with the results.  To install a card reader you'll have to drill holes in the door and run cabling appropriately.  The face of this machine makes mounting a card reader problematic in that the reader will have to be mounted inconveniently high for short people.   I personally won't upgrade any more National 147's.  The shelves can be problematic if the don't contact the tray connector appropriately and I've had numerous issues with the delivery door getting stuck from wear and tear.  

If I had to describe the USI 3014a it is a good machine for an amateur vendor.  The cabinet is lightweight, but durable enough for smaller accounts.  When upgrading with an InOne kit I miss not having a door button and I've found that LS size chip bags will frequently block the drop sensors, but the machine will do the trick and is easily dressed up with a tough front.

I hope this helps.

Archived