$40k to start

I'd like to hear a few opinions on how you would start and do your SODA machine only route if you had 40k to start over again. I've been in bulk for 25 years and I am going to take the plunge into soda machines. Please dont tell me all about the snack side. I'm not interested in that at all.

So please let me just her about the soda side and how you would do it. 

Thank you for your time and thoughts  

It's going to be hard to run a soda only route. Most locations that make money also want snack machines. And most good soda only locations tend to have been spoiled by coke to expect ridiculously large commissions.

That said, if you are in a large metropolitan area you could theoretically run a soda only route with the marginal locations that big vendors won't touch. Tire shops, mechanics, small blue collar locations. Buy single price Dixie Narco's for 300 a pop, service once a month or so, can soda only. Basically a full line route run like a bulk vending route.

A soda only route is almost impossible. The bottlers have the best locations for soda. Full line vendors have the rest of the locations and with no snack machines you got no shot at there business. The only thing left are small locations that do marginal sales. 

Yeah... what you are trying to do is offering only part of a service.  You can do it, but you'll only get mostly slow accounts.  It's hard for a full line guy to advise you on how to run soda-only because we want good accounts and snacks are not only required (usually) but it's extra profit anyway.

Pepsi and Coke have the market covered for drink only accounts.  There is a way and we can talk about it.  Message me or give me a call. 

909-583-9068

Thanks for the thoughts and maybe I should share a little more of what I'm thinking and you can add to the thoughts on here. I live in a town of 600k and have 600 bulk charity locations. Just sold off 400 out of my town and would like to just service my hometown as I slow down and bring it closer to home. i would like to do soda only for the convenience, as I have done with the bulk. I am targeting the accounts that no one else will service because they are smaller, 100 a month net. I have many of my customers now that would like a soda machine but the full line guys wont do due to their size. I think out of my 400 accounts I have a possible 25 right now to place soda machines.

Sounds like a start of a plan.  ORSD's advise is good, there should be good used machines available in your area, Dixie Narco is a good brand as is USI and Royal.  Single price is OK, but get machines that have working bill validators.  Avoid the cheap mechanical machines and the imports.  Stick to cans as they have the best shelf life (except for diet drinks).   Set your pricing at .75 or 1.00 (quarter increments) to make it easier on the changers, running out of change hurts sales.   Stick to best sellers as much as possible to make your inventory easier.  Bottled water can be a big seller as well in machines that can handle it.   If you are going to place that many machines you will probably need to get some moving equipment of your own (trailer and dolly) unless you have a reasonable alternative.  It would be a good idea to have a refrigeration guy on speed dial as well; you will learn how to handle most problems, but compressors are usually better shopped out.

Honestly, if your gonna do this, stick to Dixie Narco.

Vendo's single price machines are often the crappy lowering shelf units.

Royal didn't produce many single price machines.

USI's are a pain in the golpher to fix.

Also for refrigeration, it simplifies things, as all 2 deep Dixie Narcos used the same removable refrigeration deck. Not cooling? Pull the deck (a half dozen screws and 45 min) and send it off for a rebuild.

Also, bill validators are cheap, no reason to pass on a machine if it doesn't have a working bill validator, if it is a Dixie. I agree with the no import/mechaincal though.

I agree, soda only and can only, go Dixie Narco. Royals are good, but with back front loading they can be more difficult. 501s and 276s share a lot of parts. 368s are cheaper but far older than e models. I don't have any USIs so I can't comment. Vendos are good but not as prevalent. If you are getting former Coke or Pepsi machines, Pepsi is preferable. Easier programming, and one more selection.

Archived