Vending Hand Trucks/ Moving Equipment DUTRO

Looking for opinions on hand trucks. I'm leaning towards the Dutro Brawny Brute. I see it recommended on here as well as several vendors locally. Is there any downside to going with the 1888-78 over the standard 1888? Also I see an optional lower belly strap available on both models, is this needed? Is this a bolt on option that can be added later? I've never used an overhead strap system, any issues with them? Any other brands recommend over the Dutros? Anyone got recommendations as far as where to purchase? Haven't been able to find locally.

Edited by jeremiah

Get the overhead hook and you'll never look back.  I've had both and would never use the side strap version again.  A local material handling business should carry them.  Don't settle for anything else.

Edited by AZVendor
  • Thanks 1

You can get good use out of the 1888 but if you move very many 79" tall machines, or when you have one to move, you'll wish you had the extra height of the 1888-78 which is the model I prefer though I had one of each.  I found that I actually used my 1888 more often and could move almost any machine with it easily.  The taller the handles are the more leverage you have to pull the load over.  The minimum load height on the 1888 is 62.5 inches and on the 1888-78 it's 68.5 inches.  But how many DN180s will you move?  Even with a short machine you just need a ratchet strap around the dolly and the top of the machine to pull it over.

Edited by AZVendor
  • Thanks 1

I'm still looking around, not having much luck local. I found some places online if I have to. How does the overhead strap work? What I mean is how do you get it under the bottom or do you have to break the machine over before you can strap it? With my Northern Tool death trap, I had to strap it around before I broke the machine over. Also, does anybody have any experience with Wesco, specifically https://catalog.wescomfg.com/item/hand-trucks/wesco-steel-vending-appliance-trucks/230075-1

You put the foot plate at the edge of the machine and just push up on the side to slide the plate under the machine.  Then you put the hook and strap over the machine, cinch it down, stand on the axle and throw your weight back to break the machine over.

• Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

So after searching forever I picked up a dutro vending dolly locally for 250 bucks… but I didn’t realize that top strap was preferred. Can a top strap be added to the horizontal one?

actually have it strapped to a 501e but having never used one.. kinda nervous so trying to watch videos and reading ran across the top strap issue:

btw accidentally I picked up a dutro convertible dolly as well.. being used to mag liners does dutro just make everything hd?

oh the accident, ad said appliance dolly pic was bad got there realized it wasn’t what I thought but the people wanted it gone so they said take it for 20.00 figured why not:.

now I’m debating between truck with lift gate or trailer.. 

not planning to be a mover but a few vending companies I’ve talked to recently have told me they would have given me machines. So why not..

Plus I have machines in a storage unit and they are packed in so figured a good moving dolly would make shifting them around easier.

You can use the wrap around strap without problems but the center of gravity of the strap will be lower so it will take more work to tip it over.  You can't retrofit a top hook to it.  I used a short wrap-around for years before I got a tall Dutro with the top strap.  My old dolly moved a hundred machines but the Dutro was magic.  If you find you need extra leverage you can just add a ratchet strap around the top of the dolly and machine.

Edited by AZVendor

2 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

You can use the wrap around strap without problems but the center of gravity of the strap will be lower so it will take more work to tip it over.  You can't retrofit a top hook to it.  I used a short wrap-around for years before I got a tall Dutro with the top strap.  My old dolly moved a hundred machines but the Dutro was magic.  If you find you need extra leverage you can just add a ratchet strap around the top of the dolly and machine.

Ahh… yep I’m not huge but 5’9 220 roughly and I’m standing and pulling this morning.. thinking not as easy as i thought but the top Rachet strap makes sense.

Thank you