Free water/Gatorade battle

We had an account a few years ago that started providing water and GatorAde to their drivers (delivery company with 50+ drivers).  We talked to management and sold them the product directly, saving them a trip to Sam's Club.  Of course, we only marked up the product a modest increase instead of our normal pricing in the machine.  ( I think we were selling a $4/case water for $6 and added $3 to a case of GatorAde.  My route driver would drop the product off when they filled the vending machines.  They would get 15-20 cases every delivery.  They loved it because they didn't have to send an employee to go pick up the product, and we made a little money off of the lost pop machine sales for the summer.  The drivers still bought pop from the machine, so I don't think we really lost much sales.  It worked out really well.  We only lost the account last year when the owner retired and sold off the business to a competitor who closed the operation and moved out of state.

The machines I service are in Flint Mi. When people talk about water in the machines I just tell them '"You can't compete with free."

So I was cleaning and filling the coffee machine today and looked up to see a staff member making a cup of Tasters Choice for a resident....

Somebody can't come up with a quarter.

6 hours ago, Joe101us said:

At a manufacturing plant I do about 20-25 cases of propel a week 

I have recently started selling propel. I had to order spacers because most of my machines are Vindo 721. Do you ever have a selection with mixed flavors? 

On 6/8/2018 at 7:08 PM, 57thTom said:

The machines I service are in Flint Mi. When people talk about water in the machines I just tell them '"You can't compete with free."

So I was cleaning and filling the coffee machine today and looked up to see a staff member making a cup of Tasters Choice for a resident....

Somebody can't come up with a quarter.

Hello there fellow Flintstone!  We still sell tons of water in our machines.  The "free" water hand-outs don't really make their way to businesses.  Most businesses don't have the water problem anyway.  Feel free to PM me if you need help with anything.  :) 

14 hours ago, 57thTom said:

We used to get one and a half skids form the food bank on average weekly. Staff still brings bottled water.

That stinks that your business was affected by the water problem.  We were fortunate that all of our downtown customers didn't have a water problem, so they did not have water shipped to them.  Any of the buildings built after 1957 or were renovated after that, did not have the lead pipes in the building (so the studies say).  Being located in the township ( and having a newer building), we were blessed with safe water.  I hope the water lines are fixed for your company soon, my friend.  

• 7 months later...

I had a location where the employees asked me to put water in my drink machine for them.

The next week I put a column of water in.  I came back the next week to find only one sold.

One of the employees told me that started giving them free bottled water right after I put the water in my machine.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2018 at 8:05 PM, Snack Man 2000 said:

I have recently started selling propel. I had to order spacers because most of my machines are Vindo 721. Do you ever have a selection with mixed flavors? 

I have a few. I have an all Gatorade machine with one column labeled Mystery. That column sells fastest, I think they like being surprised. I sell V8 Splash in a mixed column, with a custom label that shows all three flavors. I also sell Arizona juices mixed. Again I made a custom label that just says Arizona Juice.

Archived