Question about Bill Acceptors and Coin Mechs...

Hi all! 

This is kind of a two part question... first part is something I've been wondering about for a long while, second is an issue I'm having!

1) I have like 6 bill acceptors in storage that all have all have different cords (i.e. some have several wires where some just have a few, some have wires going into __x__ position in the clip and others go into __X__ position on the clip... It just seems like there are a BUNCH of varieties of cords for these acceptors... can anyone make sense of them for me? Also, I would say the same thing for the oppositie end of the cords, the cords that actually plug into the acceptor... Some plug into the side-computer(?)-thing and some go right into the acceptor itself.

I feel like a COMPLETE rookie with these things, the only thing I feel comfortable with is perfect fits, which seem hard to come by unless you're talking MDB cords!

2) I have a MARS Series 2000 on a an old DNCB single-price that today when I arrived on account seemed to be working fine. There were a few bills in the acceptor and the lights in front and the rear-led-light indiciated it was working fine. An  employee came in and told me the acceptor wasn't taking his money... so lo-and-behold I tested it and it made noises but didn't take the bill. I then checked the rear-LED and it indicated a bill-jam. There was no bill-jam so I unplugged the machine, and then too out the mech and cleaned the sensors with water/rag. I turned the machine back on and the bill acceptor pretty much completely stopped working. There was no rear-LED light but 2 of the 4 red lights in the big diamond-shaped sensor on the bottom on the ramp would blink once every few seconds or so... And then the stacker moved and got stuck in the forward position, enough so that I couldn't put the casette back on...

Never seen an issue like this. I tried another bill acceptor (one of the really old metal Mars acceptors), it was the only one I had with matching cords (thus my Question #1). The acceptor itself is kind of messed up so it doesn;t suck up bills but it did try, indiciating to me that the machine was able to get power to the test-acceptor...

Any ideas on a fix? I'm wondering if 1) I could replace just the cord for the MArs2000 OR 2) Do I just need to replace the entire acceptor/have it serviced?

The "acceptor end" of the harnesses are interchangeable among the same series and voltage. For instance, Mars 2000 series 110 v are intercheangeable.

So are Coinco BA 110v, etc. One confusing thing is that MAG series Coincos can do both 110V and 24V MDB, with the right harness.

The other end is dependent on what machine it goes to.

10 minutes ago, orsd said:

The "acceptor end" of the harnesses are interchangeable among the same series and voltage. For instance, Mars 2000 series 110 v are intercheangeable.

So are Coinco BA 110v, etc. One confusing thing is that MAG series Coincos can do both 110V and 24V MDB, with the right harness.

Ah, so there are many different ends because there are many different makes/models of machines basically? Unless of course you're talking MDB, which is kind of a god-send from a "universal" point of view? 

16 minutes ago, orsd said:

A good reason for as a rule of thumb 1) always buy MDB machines... Granted there are always exceptions, especially when an insane CL deal comes around!

You need to rebuild the VN2500 validator.  The fact that the VFM validator tried to work means that there is nothing wrong with the harness.  Your lack of knowledge in these things after being in vending as long as you have means you really need to rely on a vending repair tech to fix your machines.  That way you don't waste your time dicking around with them.  Find someone you trust and just let them do their thing and be confident that your machines are fixed and making you money.  Some people just can't grasp the concepts of understanding logic boards, bill validators and coin mechs and that's okay.  The repair person does and can keep your machines running.  I always had service calls for customers that just wanted their machines to work so they could make money from them worry-free.  

On 6/14/2018 at 3:19 AM, AZVendor said:

You need to rebuild the VN2500 validator.  The fact that the VFM validator tried to work means that there is nothing wrong with the harness.  Your lack of knowledge in these things after being in vending as long as you have means you really need to rely on a vending repair tech to fix your machines.  That way you don't waste your time dicking around with them.  Find someone you trust and just let them do their thing and be confident that your machines are fixed and making you money.  Some people just can't grasp the concepts of understanding logic boards, bill validators and coin mechs and that's okay.  The repair person does and can keep your machines running.  I always had service calls for customers that just wanted their machines to work so they could make money from them worry-free.  

I appreciate your comment but in my defense this is pretty much the first time I've made an effort to understand this particular topic. I definitely already do rely on a repair guy but I would like to understand this stuff too. 

I may have miscommunicated a little. The metal accetptor (the VFM) already had a harness connected into it so I plugged it and its harness into the machine, Where it clearly had power and was trying to work.

I wasn't able to attach thr harness from thr VFM into the VN2500... So power from the machine to the bill acceptor plug was confirmed, but I was unable to isolate if the problem with the VN2500 was the harness or VN2500 itself. 

Either way it sounds like carrying around a larger inventory of parts might be helpful in the future!

Archived