Most likely a dumb question but

A picture would be very helpful but if you are seeing leakage there then have it repaired by a vending refrigeration tech.  The unit needs to be evacuated, repaired, tested for vacuum then recharged.

The rule of thumb with refrigeration is.. if you have to ask, then have someone else work on the system.  You can change fans, thermostats, and a few other parts, but not the pressurized system.

1 hour ago, Steve Waters said:

On the side of my compressor there is the tube thing that has some coils, It looks to be copper. I see a Freon leak right at the fat part. Is this something that can be silver solder and what is it? Is it replaceable if not?

Yes it is replaceable.

No, you can’t do it yourself.

To do it right, you need a: recovery machine, recovery tank, gauge set, vaccuum pump, oxyacetylene torch, refrigerant scale, and a tank of R134a.

About a few grand of equipment.

Get a tech to do it.

21 minutes ago, Steve Waters said:

Thanks for the reply. No recovery needed as it is now empty from the leak. I have everything else. I will silver solder it back up and pull a vac and replace it with 12... 

I recommend you absolutely not do that, but i would really like to know what happens after you do this.

Because at one time in my life I was going to be a refrigeration tech. Went to school and now am a Network Analyst. More money better environment and allot cleaner conditions. I will have a friend who is an a/c certified tech come over and assist but like to learn and do things on my own.

Archived