Anderson vending dolly

Just now, 57thTom said:

So would I if that is what it came down to. Anything can be moved.

I was just commenting on a statement that machines are 3x3. That's just too general of a statement to be true.

Now, I just don't know exactly how big of an object could be fit in a minivan. I have never owned one because I think they are ugly.

I agree on the minivan look. Not really my cup of tea either. I like my hydraulic drop deck and my Ram. Maybe in the near future I will be purchasing a box truck with a lift gate.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Snack Man 2000 said:

I agree on the minivan look. Not really my cup of tea either. I like my hydraulic drop deck and my Ram. Maybe in the near future I will be purchasing a box truck with a lift gate.

I'm confused.  You have a trailer but you will load and unload machines out of a minivan??

Just now, AngryChris said:

I'm confused.  You have a trailer but you will load and unload machines out of a minivan??

No,

NYCandyman is the one that uses a minivan I believe. I use a hydraulic drop deck. I have seen a large company that uses a minivan to move snack machines for some reason. They have 3rd party drink. I would never attempt to put a machine on it side. 

• 1 month later...

so I've moved everything from a DN 276, 501E, Seaga office Deli, 7800, Royal 600 model (I think) , 804 model (yes its 72" high), USI CB300, and lately, the vendo 540, and 721/N21, I do use help, I decided to not throw them in the back of the van anymore, trailer is only $36 for the day, and I can fit 2 nicely, and 3 for a tight squeeze, but I still use gravity :). simple process with the roughneck. if I was doing this daily, I could see myself getting the stair climber, but at this rate, once every few months, it'll never pay itself off.

• 1 year later...

New here. I thought I would just read this thread but felt like responding to some stuff. Found this website and thread by Googling "Anderson Dolly".  I had a good time reading this old post. I'm going to post some stuff, hope you guys don't mind the new guy. I've moved everything the wrong way at some point and eventually ended up moving them the right way. Started as a regular mover in 2005 at 19, im now 33. Went from apartments, to pianos, to hot tubs, to safes and now vending machines. Did each individually for at least 2-3 years.

I am now getting into moving vending machines and arcade machines/games. 

I have never owned a Dutro/Stevens Dolly or used them before. Never used Rol-a-lifts, or other similar hydraulic dollies either. When I moved Safes, I would either use the wrong dolly, method and equipment, but always made it work. A dumb move, but when that job is paying for your past due rent or phone bill is going to cut off, something special happens, you figure golpher out and make it work lol. 

Regarding the Anderson. Why I chose it. It still being delivered, has not arrived yet so this isn't a review, it's more of a post about why I decided to purchase it over the others. Main reasons:

1. Weight. At 26lbs each (54lbs total) it makes each moving experience that much smoother and cases less of a "ah golpher, gotta carry that dolly" feel. Yes it has wheels, but sometimes you gotta lift/carry them for whatever reason. Rol-A-Lift have wheels as well, but the LIGHTEST pair is 160lbs. For vending machines, the Anderson Dolly more than covers that. The 160lbs Rol-a-lift have a 2000lbs capacity. The Anderson Frame has a 3000lbs max, so just upgrade the casters and your 2000lbs covered no problem. (According to Anderson, each of the HD Red 5" casters that he provides are 500lbs capacity, but to be safe he advertises them at 1600, not  2000lbs... meaning you might not have to upgrade the casters at all if you're careful when maxed out. The Wesco Hytraulic may lift 3,950lbs but weighs 190lbs

2. NO MECHANICAL PARTS like the hydraulic units. I kept reading that the Wesco Handwinch Furniture Mover set kept having parts fail and would repeatedly need replacing/fixing. Unless you're handy and enjoy being handy (2 different things, I am handy but hate being handy/working with tools/parts with a passion) then I can see why you would be ok with it, but why if being handy means having to buy the parts as well? It's the 2nd lightest, but the manual version has a 1,350lbs capacity only. 

3. Weight Capacity. As stated above, Frame is rated at 3000lbs (I would not put something on them that's that heavy thought, but its good to know that if I ever had to/was in a bind, I could technically do it. My lift gate has a 2200lbs capacity and wouldn't risk maxing it out so the Anderson dolly would ever need to provide me with 2200lbs max weight anyway.

The only thing that I am worried about is having a 2000lbs safe and releasing those straps. I see that the safety strap is just for that, but am skeptical until I can use it/see it in action. I like the fact that the Anderson dollies are "small" when compared to the other Hydraulic units like rol-a-lift, wesco Hand winch, wesco hydraulic version and the other Vestil/Wesco 4000lbs capacity set that weighs 240lbs.

Also, the Anderson Dolly doesn't have a way to adjust the height (he said he has a new dolly that does so I'm excited about that one) so i am a bit worried about possibly getting stuck, but i hear people don't have that problem. It would be nice to have the adjusting version of the anderson dolly (he said hes selling it already but not on the site) because you can always keep one end lower and the rear end higher when going into/through doorways on a ramp (having the front end lower allows you to not hit the top of the door entryway/frame when passing it).

Having a low (1.5") lift is not all bad. The average Viking fridge is 84-85" Tall and my box truck clearance is 88.5" tall. Once you pass the entryway, its about 8-10" taller in all box trucks. Currently (without the Anderson Dolly), I can't dolly these Viking/SubZero refrigerators into the truck. Once the liftgate reaches the top, theres "inching it in" left to right to left to right etc.... or, in some cases they have wheels that can be used to roll back (wheels on these refrigerators only go back and forth) so i have to remove the appliance dolly, roll it back then puck the dolly back on... not a big deal, but why do it if it can be avoided. 

As for the reclining Handtrucks. I do have the red Strongway 1200lbs capacity dolly, but don't like using it for things above 600lbs or so. I have the idea of having NARROW/Too close together wheels as the back wheels that for some reason are also SMALLER. I don't even thing they should be the same width, but the Stevens and Dutro have BIGGER n WIDER set wheels. Sucks that they are that heavy/bulky but I would rather have one of those. The strongway is a good dolly to be honest, handles most average sized heavy stuff (about 600lbs). 

• Like 1

On 7/2/2018 at 1:27 PM, arkhusker said:

I use the Anderson. I have modified mine though by getting larger , more durable casters from Caster City and upgraded the retractable straps. They will do just about any machine move except up stairs

What do you mean upgraded the retractable straps? are they the same width? Wider? Higher break strength or different ratchet type?

On 7/18/2018 at 8:04 PM, Snack Man 2000 said:

I now refuse to sell machines to people without hydraulic drop deck trailers, or lift gates. Too much liability. I have been hurt too mNy times trying to help people load with u-haul trailers and such.

I have a piano moving and storage business in Los Angeles. We come across a lot of pianos and I keep the good ones (ones that I can sell). I no longer allow people to come and load it themselves either. Here are the issues that I have experienced.

1. They always say they have help. The helper is usually a kid or another man that probably still lives with his parents even though hes over 30.

2. They don't have a dolly. Didn't think about straps either.

3. They still come even though their helper bailed on them. It doesn't matter though, I always end up helping them even though the ad says "If you're picking it up yourself, bring your own helper, I can not help you load". I figure its best I help them than have one of them get injured and sue me.

People will always try to save money sure, but some really push it and don't take someone else's time/help/risk into account. 

I stopped offering the option to pick up. I say get your own movers or hire us (they think we're too expensive because the pianos that I sell are usually less than $500) A free or $100,000 piano weighs the same. 

On 9/4/2018 at 4:32 PM, AngryChris said:

Royal 804 is 79".  I still want to see you do it.  What's interesting is that now you say you use help, but you implied it was easy for one man to move them before.  I'll believe it when i see it.

It's very easy to do, even at 79". Put a blanket at the edge of the van/above the bumper, start leaning it until it makes contact then slit it down/into the van. Depending on the length of the van, the doors might not close, but that's not an issue as long as you have enough straps/tie downs.

On a minivan with a door that opens up: Doable, but not very easy with 1 person

On a van that has doors open side to side: Very easy, even its its only 1 person

That being said, I would not want to move a vending machine like this, but sometimes people don't have an option. Gotta start somewhere.

On 8/2/2018 at 9:24 AM, NYCandyMan said:

why should you worry about other peoples problems? everyone has a way of doing what they do, if I was moving 10 machines weekly, lets say, then yes I would definitely invest in a good powered unit, the fact that I am moving 1 machine every 3 months or so, makes no sense, in cash wise or in moving wise, I just don't see the need of investing into something and letting it sit, I don't have cash to spend like the big boys, im on a budget, so I found the best one for the buck, and its been fine to this day, my helper will always be there, and there hasn't been any issues, honestly I can do it myself, but prefer not to.

Their problem can easily become your problem with the right lawyer. Unfortunately it's how it works. Happy customer if it works out, but if something goes wrong, customers want to point the finger at a business. We're not people to them, were all possible settlement/lawsuits/easy money to many. Especially in the city. I live in Los Angeles. Everyone always hoping they get hurt lol

Sorry for the spelling errors. On the first (long post) i meant to say that i HATE the idea of having rear narrow wheels as the reclining wheels.

On the post about the van+vending machine i meant slide not slit. Cant figure out how to edit my previous post. Where's the edit button?

16 hours ago, jiuchessu said:

What do you mean upgraded the retractable straps? are they the same width? Wider? Higher break strength or different ratchet type?

I found the straps to be cheap and flimsy. broke the retracting mechanism after only a few moves. So I upgraded to a wider, higher quality retractable strap. 

4 hours ago, arkhusker said:

I found the straps to be cheap and flimsy. broke the retracting mechanism after only a few moves. So I upgraded to a wider, higher quality retractable strap. 

Were you able to mount the newer straps onto the dolly itself? The dolly should be arriving tonight or tomorrow so I cant actually see it. But I would like to order tougher ones now, but not sure what I should be looking for.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:41 PM, jiuchessu said:

It's very easy to do, even at 79". Put a blanket at the edge of the van/above the bumper, start leaning it until it makes contact then slit it down/into the van. Depending on the length of the van, the doors might not close, but that's not an issue as long as you have enough straps/tie downs.

On a minivan with a door that opens up: Doable, but not very easy with 1 person

On a van that has doors open side to side: Very easy, even its its only 1 person

That being said, I would not want to move a vending machine like this, but sometimes people don't have an option. Gotta start somewhere.

This was regarding a single person loading a 79" machine into a minivan.

Again, I'll believe it (that it's easy) when i see it.

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

This was regarding a single person loading a 79" machine into a minivan.

Again, I'll believe it (that it's easy) when i see it.

It's really not that hard at all. If the doors opening height is adjustable on the minivan (most newer vans are) it will take me 5min alone. 

I would show you myself if I had a vending machine and minivan outside right now. Here's a guy doing it. He uses 2x4's, but you don't even need 2x4's. I've moved safes into customers vans, they are just as heavy. Only issue is height clearance and the person moving it can't be an idiot or have below average strength.

I think the guy did it quite easily in the vid, but overthought it. I once had the owner or Knauer Pianos buy a 7.5ft Grand Piano off of me and did all the work himself. He insisted to let him to it. Since I had never seen one man move a grand piano alone, I gladly watched the show. He was like 55 years old and 150lbs. The technique that he used made me feel like there was still a lot to learn. Ive moved maybe about 400 grands by now, but that day I realized there was more to learn.

Minivan.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, arkhusker said:

I see what you mean. I just received the dolly, the spring that pushes the locking mechanism so that you can crank again doesn't always push. Sucks. I was planning on getting a better set anyway but figured I'd use it as is for a month or so. Oh well. A few design improvements can be made (and I will for fun). Like eliminating both straps. They take up about 3" on each side. Just use one big one set in the middle on the same level. It will give you another 6" side to side and allow just one bigger/tougher crank. Going to weld a plate for the new bigger strap/holder. Wheels lock so both hands can focus on strapping.

11 hours ago, jiuchessu said:

Yes i know thats a fridge, not a vending machine, but the method is exactly the same.

You're right in that it isn't a vending machine.  It's also not 79" tall.  And it's probably half the weight.

2 hours ago, AngryChris said:

You're right in that it isn't a vending machine.  It's also not 79" tall.  And it's probably half the weight.

What is it exactly that you can't picture being done though? The tilting? The sliding? The height clearance? It's a very simple process to do and also imagine in your mind, it's what, 3 steps at most?

29 minutes ago, jiuchessu said:

What is it exactly that you can't picture being done though? The tilting? The sliding? The height clearance? It's a very simple process to do and also imagine in your mind, it's what, 3 steps at most?

It's everything.  The whole thing here is saying it's pretty easy, but there's nothing easy about moving a vending machine, ESPECIALLY a 79" tall one.  But it's not that bad with the right equipment, but a minivan and elbow grease is NOT the right equipment.  Again, anyone can say it's easy.  It's a petty argument really and I'm at fault for that, but the problem I have is that someone will get led to believe that moving a 79" machine with a minivan is "easy" and they might get hurt as a result.  As I said multiple times, I'll believe it when I see it!