Anderson vending dolly

6 hours ago, jiuchessu said:

What is it exactly that you can't picture being done though? The tilting? The sliding? The height clearance? It's a very simple process to do and also imagine in your mind, it's what, 3 steps at most?

Do you know how I know you have never dropped a vending machine? Once a machine tilts past 30-40 degrees from vertical there is nothing that will stop it from falling down. I don’t care if you are strong like bull, unless you can deadlift 400 lbs you are not gently letting that machine down onto the 2x4s. And if you let it down anything but gently you will snap those 2x4s like twigs. Also, sliding will be difficult too.

In any case it takes me 5 min to load a machine if I have all the right gear and trucks/trailers. 

• Like 1

On 8/2/2018 at 10:51 PM, orsd said:

Da fuq?

NYCandyman uses a minivan and said machines are 3x3.

Why are we roasting Snack Man 2000?

lol, yes in a minivan, machines are normally 33in x 33in the van is a bit bigger and can fit a full 79in machine without a problem :) 

On 8/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, AngryChris said:

I'm confused.  You have a trailer but you will load and unload machines out of a minivan??

trailer is for a 2nd machine if needed, i no longer use my van or a trailer to move machines, as of 2019, i rent out 16 footers with lift gates, and have a nice 2 ton jack that'll lift a machine in 5 min or less :)

1 hour ago, orsd said:

Do you know how I know you have never dropped a vending machine? Once a machine tilts past 30-40 degrees from vertical there is nothing that will stop it from falling down. I don’t care if you are strong like bull, unless you can deadlift 400 lbs you are not gently letting that machine down onto the 2x4s. And if you let it down anything but gently you will snap those 2x4s like twigs. Also, sliding will be difficult too.

In any case it takes me 5 min to load a machine if I have all the right gear and trucks/trailers. 

Dropped as in "slipped/oopsed it?"? No, I have not. I also mentioned that 2x4s are not needed. They are more of a hassle than they are helpful. I moved Hot Tubs from 2012 to 2015, we used to use 4x4s to slide them, average weight of a hot tub was 600lbs. 4x4's were needed when there was a wall, we would dolly them parallel to the way on a high dolly, tilt them so that the wall was balancing it right down the middle, put the 4x4rs under it and it would slide down. The 12x8s were 1200lbs.

Vending machines are on the heavy but lighter side of what ive dealt with. Ok I'm 33, 220lbs and a former wrestler, but I didn't mention that because I don't think that would matter, I use the noggin not the muscle. I can deadlift diddly squat (pun intended), just a father now that gets zero exercise these days. I'm pretty sure I'm about the weakest guy in this room, (benchpress probably 100lbs?) but know how to focus weight and power on the right point at the right time. 

Sliding CAN be difficult if you just use one blanket. Use 2. Blankets slide easily against each other. It wont slide easily on the machine. It will get caught on the top 2 corners once its laid down. 

So whats the answer/How would I do it?

1. Dolly the machine right up to the van. (I can use a dolly right? otherwise I'm out this mother...)

2. Thrown a strap over (Veritcally not Horizontally) the machine. 

3. Put a wood box/piano box between the machine and van bumper

4. Push Machine overslowly

5. As its going down, start walking back, give yourself a lot of slack.

6. Once machine is flat/horizontal, slide it forward. Blankets should have already been placed. at least 2 laters, 4 total since blanters are usually 72" long

Vending Machine into minivan.jpg

3 hours ago, Corvus Corax said:

Not saying you can'tmove a soda machine. But it would be pretty stupid to try. Especially when you can rent a box truck for $40.

I have the resources and equipment now, 2200lbs 8ftwide by 4.5ft deep liftgate, dollies + I don't physically work out there anymore, we have a team. But this reminds of the old days when I had to figure stuff out, under equipped, not enough man power but a customer right there watching us do a job we said we could. Stupid? No. Ok maybe yes. I saw it as a dude in need of money and a customer to help him survive . The Golden Era in every movers turned owner's history.

Edited by jiuchessu

45 minutes ago, NYCandyMan said:

trailer is for a 2nd machine if needed, i no longer use my van or a trailer to move machines, as of 2019, i rent out 16 footers with lift gates, and have a nice 2 ton jack that'll lift a machine in 5 min or less :)

Here here to the liftgate and to you moving on up!

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I had my doubts about this, but once I saw this excellent image of a man clearly installing a 79" machine into a minivan, you've almost won me over.  Now if you can just add a unicorn and maybe draw some Bob Ross birds in there, you'll have me sold.

I'm a crappy artist.

Edited by jiuchessu

Flat earthers have the same approach to things. If you wanna go above the atmosphere due to limited imagination, you gotta pay the fee to go into get on the ship. I'll get a minivan and move that model machine (please don't tell me its gonna be the same serial number, i would just die). When I do, ill use the method in the above masterpiece, but you gotta send me $200. I'll meet your "i believe it when I see with" with a "No dough? No show".

Do we have a deal?

2 hours ago, jiuchessu said:

Flat earthers have the same approach to things. If you wanna go above the atmosphere due to limited imagination, you gotta pay the fee to go into get on the ship. I'll get a minivan and move that model machine (please don't tell me its gonna be the same serial number, i would just die). When I do, ill use the method in the above masterpiece, but you gotta send me $200. I'll meet your "i believe it when I see with" with a "No dough? No show".

Do we have a deal?

I'm not opposed to chipping in with others to see it.  Has to be a stock 79" machine, full size, (approx 37" x 33x) with a continuous unedited video.

I'll chip in $50.  Anyone else?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jiuchessu said:

Do we have a deal?

Btw, how can you possibly compare this to flat earthers?  The truth is... flat earthers are the types to use poor drawings with stick figures to make their point.  Just saying.

2 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I'm not opposed to chipping in with others to see it.  Has to be a stock 79" machine, full size, (approx 37" x 33x) with a continuous unedited video.

In for $50.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, AngryChris said:

When you go to the movies, the ticket doesn't get multiple people in. Each need their own ticket. Or share the vid after paying the $200. I don't move stuff anymore, it's not about $200. It's about YOUR $200 :) Otherwise wheres the fun.

55 minutes ago, jiuchessu said:

When you go to the movies, the ticket doesn't get multiple people in. Each need their own ticket. Or share the vid after paying the $200. I don't move stuff anymore, it's not about $200. It's about YOUR $200 :) Otherwise wheres the fun.

Good thing is that this isn't the movies.  Oh well, I already had $100 in pledged dollars and I'm sure I could have gotten more for you but oh well.  I guess i'll just stand with my original statement that I will believe it when I see it, even though your stick figure diagram was mighty convincing!!  That kind of "proof" would make you a great politician.

Come to think of it, I am convinced that you don't have much real vending experience.  Then again, we have made it pretty clear that I spend too much time thinking about facts than i spend using my imagination to see how people do imaginary vending so maybe I'm wrong.  Oh well.

Well, at least you just admitted that you don't use your imagination so kudos for self awareness but there lies the problem. Anything is possible. Vending machines are under 1k lbs. Is that a lot of weight for you? anything under 1lbs is childs play for me. I gotta admit, its very strange for someone that's moved way heavier stuff to hear the limitation of others who haven't a tenth of my experience moving stuff. You definitely have no clue what a piano box is. If you did, that alone would have made you say "oh golpher, I didn't think about that". That diagram is one of many ways a vending machine can be moved. Yes, I said those words "many ways". There are methods out there that you're unaware about, imagine that 😆

Edited by jiuchessu

This conversation is getting really dumb now.  Regardless of how anyone thinks they can move a vending machine there is only the professional way and the unprofessional way.  All of them include the danger of being injured or the machine being damaged but those dangers are exponentially higher if machines are moved unprofessionally.  Having the right equipment and the correct tools for the job are what minimize the dangers.  If someone prefers to use muscles over machines then that is their risk, and hopefully not a risk to anyone else.  

This conversation should be ended as it has really gone off the deep end into pointless rhetoric.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AZVendor said:

This conversation is getting really dumb now.  Regardless of how anyone thinks they can move a vending machine there is only the professional way and the unprofessional way.  All of them include the danger of being injured or the machine being damaged but those dangers are exponentially higher if machines are moved unprofessionally.  Having the right equipment and the correct tools for the job are what minimize the dangers.  If someone prefers to use muscles over machines then that is their risk, and hopefully not a risk to anyone else.  

This conversation should be ended as it has really gone off the deep end into pointless rhetoric.

This is true. My moving background took a persons self imposed limitations as a challenge. It's like a retired boxer being called out at a bar by a drunk out of shape dude, I know I shouldn't buuut... i....just...cant....resist lol

This post is interesting to me - as a small ham n egger  I have found moving the machines to be the biggest pain in the golpher part of vending.

For the record, I have dropped multiple machines by moving them incorrectly - 1st one I dropped was a freaking heavy USI CD 10 pop machine - was moving it with a standard hand truck (no kick out wheels, no strap) - knew as soon as we kicked it back it was a doomed effort, made it about 20 feet across a warehouse floor before she got away - smashed up the front pretty good, crappy machine anyway.

Used to move snacks in a Ford F150 short bed - two of us would tip one in on it's back and then get in the truck, stand it back up and slide in another one and leave that one on it's back - moved a lot of machines that way, but also dropped a nice AP Studio when we were standing it back up in the truck, feet slid out and over she went.

Did some trading with another small potatoes operator a few years back, he's been in the game for decades and told me about moving full size beverage machines in a van by himself (think it was a full size not a mini) - he said he would tip the machine up against the back of the van and then use ratchet-straps and maybe a come-along to slowly winch it into the van

I loaded/unloaded an AP 7600 by myself once in that old Ford - the trick for me was using rope/straps to keep the thing from kicking out when I tipped it back against the tailgate - found the balance point after leaning it back a few times and then heave ho in she went, same getting it back out - just run ropes/straps  through the tie down loops in the bed of the truck and down around the bottom of the machine.

Rented trucks with lift gates a few times - rail lifts are best, those stupid tuck-unders tilt enough to drop a machine if you are in a hurry - lost a DN2145 bottle drop when it decided to drop off a tommy lift.

Finally bit the bullet and bought a forklift for the shop - load/unload no longer a problem except at location and have been using rental trailers and pallet jack to move most everything.

5 hours ago, flintflash said:

AZ is 100% correct.  This is a STUPID conversation.  This is a VENDING forum for folks in the VENDING industry to give and receive advise on proper or preferred methods of running their vending business.  This is NOT a BRAGGING site for old weight-lifters or a puzzle site on how to cram whatever-heavy-thing into a small space.  The question is NOT "Can it be done ?" but "SHOULD it be done?" and the answer is NO!  Just because a vending machine "might" be able to fit in a minivan on it's side does NOT mean it SHOULD be transported that way.  (By the way, while you were brainstorming how to get it in there, you certainly were not thinking about how to get it OUT).   Your suggestions, while slightly entertaining, are doing a HUGE DISSERVICE to those who come to this website and seek advise on the PROPER equipment and methods for moving equipment.  The original thread was an inquiry about the proper/preferred equipment dolly that various vendors use.  Your goofy diagram and suggestions are not realistic for most in this industry and could cause someone a serious injury.  Let's leave the "pissing contest" for the Golpher Page or go visit Lunkheads_R_Us.com.  Just my 2 cents!  

I agree its a dumb conversation (I can do something, someone disagrees = back n forth). About bringing it back out, what do you mean? How to bring it out is the exact same way it was brought in.  Slide it back, gravity takes care of half the weight, strap was set up at loading, just pull back. 600-700lbs isn't heavy. 

As for being a huge disservice, I would agree if I was recommending this method. I say buy the equipment, but some don't have money and/or are starting out. What they are doing is apparently a way bigger risk than what I suggested.

I'm picking up 2 machines for free (i get free working machines every other month) next week. Just waiting for the keys to arrive by mail. I'll bring it to my property and post a video when I have time. If someone is going to move it themselves, they need to see someone that knows how to move stuff do it (yours truly). I will put in the vid, this is a last resort option if you don't have the right equipment. There have been, currently is and will be people that will do it this way due to $ and equipment shortages. The diagram was made using a mouse on microsoft paint by a non artist under 5minutes.  

43 minutes ago, ABCVending said:

This post is interesting to me - as a small ham n egger  I have found moving the machines to be the biggest pain in the golpher part of vending.

For the record, I have dropped multiple machines by moving them incorrectly - 1st one I dropped was a freaking heavy USI CD 10 pop machine - was moving it with a standard hand truck (no kick out wheels, no strap) - knew as soon as we kicked it back it was a doomed effort, made it about 20 feet across a warehouse floor before she got away - smashed up the front pretty good, crappy machine anyway.

Used to move snacks in a Ford F150 short bed - two of us would tip one in on it's back and then get in the truck, stand it back up and slide in another one and leave that one on it's back - moved a lot of machines that way, but also dropped a nice AP Studio when we were standing it back up in the truck, feet slid out and over she went.

Did some trading with another small potatoes operator a few years back, he's been in the game for decades and told me about moving full size beverage machines in a van by himself (think it was a full size not a mini) - he said he would tip the machine up against the back of the van and then use ratchet-straps and maybe a come-along to slowly winch it into the van

I loaded/unloaded an AP 7600 by myself once in that old Ford - the trick for me was using rope/straps to keep the thing from kicking out when I tipped it back against the tailgate - found the balance point after leaning it back a few times and then heave ho in she went, same getting it back out - just run ropes/straps  through the tie down loops in the bed of the truck and down around the bottom of the machine.

Rented trucks with lift gates a few times - rail lifts are best, those stupid tuck-unders tilt enough to drop a machine if you are in a hurry - lost a DN2145 bottle drop when it decided to drop off a tommy lift.

Finally bit the bullet and bought a forklift for the shop - load/unload no longer a problem except at location and have been using rental trailers and pallet jack to move most everything.

I found this post searching for the anderson dolly. Once I read it, I cancelled my plans, took the gloves off and had to make some corrections. People not believing something can be done (when it clearly can) called for my hand pulling the back of their jacket and saying "whoaahhh there partner, now you wait just a damn minute".