Honor Box Placement Spiel

VAVending

So I was part of a discussion about this in a separate thread and figured I should pull it over here so it would be more easily searchable.

Anyone is welcome to post their way of “selling” here. Specifically Honor Boxes please. 

My recommendation is to find the points you like and practice them at random with a helpful friend or family member.

Mine hits five basic points and is adaptable to the situation. Credit to @bhumphrey829 and @flintflash for helping me put this together in my head.

Here it is:

Hi, my name is Benjamin, and I’m currently offering vending service in the area.

What we like to do is take care of small businesses who might not have enough employees to warrant a full size snack machine, but still want the snacks.

The way it works is people just put money in and take a snack out. And, I know what you’re thinking, what if there’s product missing? We take care of that entirely, this is a hassle free box so you don’t have to worry about it at all. Its all on us.

What I’d like to do, is leave this box here for a week on a trial basis and see how it goes.

Where would you like it? I could put it up front here, or if you have a breakroom I could put it back there.

It should be noted that two parts of this are less than ideal in my opinion. First, you should really cover the honor system and shortages after introducing the idea of placing the box for a “trial”, I just can’t seem to get it to flow that way.

Second, I’m selling as a “we” but don’t give the name of my company. This is due to an unforeseen predicament that I created when choosing my company name. My company name is “Vending by Benjamin” with a super nice handwriting script and a personal feel to it, yay. However, if I introduce myself as “Benjamin from Vending by Benjamin” it’s redundant and makes them feel like I’m a one man outfit with no ability to service them properly. I’m thinking of making it an acronym or something, like VBB. Regardless, introduce yourself and your company if you can.

Hope this is helpful to someone.

I got the go ahead to share @bhumphrey829‘s and @flintflash‘s spiels and comments here. So here we go.

Here’s @bhumphrey829‘s:

“Here is my "spiel".  I walk in and say, hello, I 'm looking for a decision maker.  Once I get the decision maker in front of me this is how it goes.  My name is bryan humphrey and I'm with gator snacks.  What we do is go around to small businesses like this that are too small to put a full line snack machine in because there aren't enough employees. So we take care of everyone else.  Ours are honor boxes.  The way it works is, you just put the money in and take out what you want, but what we like to stress to you as a decision maker is that you have absolutely no responsibility to this box.  You aren't responsible for product, or money or shortages.  We don't do contracts because everything we do is on a trial basis to see how you guys like it and see how works out and I was wondering if we could leave it here a couple of weeks and just see how it does."

I actually try to be as casual as I can when talking instead of trying to sound so professional.  I have found that gets them to let their guard down a little because as soon as they see you come in, they tense up knowing you are just another salesman trying to sell them something.  So I try to put that ease from the start.

Another thing I have learned through trial and error is when I get the objection "well, the decision maker isn't in"  and they tell me after I have already made my pitch.  And they say " I can't make that decision, do you have a card you can leave?"  I used to always leave cards and of course I never got a call back.  What I have been doing the last 2.5 years and it's worked really great is when they ask me for a card, here is what I tell them.

"Well, the thing is, we don't leave cards only because then you are trying to explain it your boss and he has no idea of what you are talking about, so what we like to do is leave the box because my card is on the box.  Now you are not committing to the box or anything like that, but at least he can see it and see what it looks like.  If he doesn't want it all you have to do is call me and I will come pick up."

I have had about 90% success doing it this way as far not getting calls to come pick up the box.”

And here’s @flintflash‘s (sorry for all the pings guys, credit where credit is due):

“BOTH of you guys have great presentations.  I basically have my reps use a combination of both of yours.  A couple things that might help:  Don't be so focused on talking to a manager, especially asking to talk to one.  An easy way for them to get rid of you is to tell you that they are not in.  As Bryan stated, he then sells it to the employee (secretary, receptionist, office manager,etc.) and has them try it and if the manager does not want the box, call and he'll pick it up.  My suggestion is Why not start out this way?  We talk to the FIRST person we meet.  Trust me, if you sell the receptionist on the idea, they will help you sell it to the manager.  Also, start out with the "trial basis" right away and show them the box and all the goodies that you have in the box, THEN explain the Honor System.  Most companies that have been exposed to Honor Snacks before already have an idea about it, and those that haven't may get turned off right away from the "honor" part.  I like the explanation of "small vending for smaller accounts" that Bryan uses.  That is a GREAT starting point.  Then get them looking in your tray at all the treats.  Once they are a captive audience, then a nice, casual explanation of how the system works.  Finally, end your presentation by asking them WHERE they would like you to leave the box; "up front here in the office, or if you have a breakroom, I could place it there."  NEVER be pushy or HARDCORE SALES, but act as if the service is GREAT and "of course they would want to try it."  

Don't get discouraged by the accounts that blow you off right away.  Certainly, we would all love to hit 10 businesses and place 10 boxes, but it doesn't work that way.  You will have to hit 40-50 business to get 10 boxes placed.  That is what my sales reps try to do.  Sometimes you can go an hour or two and not place one box, and then in hour three, place four boxes.  Honor Snack sales are like that.  AND FINALLY...ALWAYS GO BACK AND SELL THE SAME AREAS 6-9 MONTHS LATER!!!  Never write off a business (or area) as "well I've been there and they said 'No" so I won't go back there."  No, No, NO!  ALWAYS GO BACK.  Different day, different circumstances, different attitudes.  You will never grow if you don't resell your territory over, and over and over again.  THIS INCLUDES BUSINESSES THAT YOU MAY HAVE PULLED BEFORE!  Always go back!  

WHEW!!  Enough of my long-winded rambling...LOL.  Now go out and sell, Sell, SELL!!   “

Archived