Bev Max issue driving me crazy

So we have a bev 2 or 3 that was 'upgraded,' to a bev 4. For the life of me I can never tell the difference.

Anyhow, occasionally we get reports that the display and keypad are blank and unresponsive. It only happens right after a customer inserts money (but before a selection has been picked). OR when a customer walks up and tries to insert money, coins fall through to the coin return and the validator is not flashing. I find it strange that it has never cut out mid vend, with a drink in the cup.

We have removed a malfunctioning gfci cord cap, replaced the coin mech, made sure the zip ties from the board are not too tight, unplugged and replugged all AC power related connections... 

Has anyone ever had an intermittent power issue with these machines before? 

Thank you in advance. 

Hi Anacapa

I had the same issue on a Bevmax 3. Once I loosened all the ties and made sure they weren't being crimped when I close the door, I have not had the problem since. It's a wiring issue. Drove us crazy for quite a while too.

Hope this helps!

I had a bevmax 2 (currently upgraded to bev 4) where the display would go out randomly, but it ALWAYS worked when I restarted the machine.  Sometimes it would last for hours, sometimes days.  The machine did work even with the display off but people would call saying the machine wasn't working.  The problem appeared to be a weak connection from the board to the harness but it's difficult to prove that as the board was replaced.  The reason I had it upgraded was because the refrigeration deck went out, so I had it picked up and repaired/upgraded all for something like $1,800 I think.  It broke my heart to pay that much but it is what it is.. still cheaper than a new one.

I don't remember if my display board was replaced or not in addition to the board and other components (like the picker cup), but I haven't had a problem since.  I WAS told through a couple sources that it's possible that the connection on my board may have had a broken solder joint as it would explain the intermittent issue perhaps.  You never know because opening and closing the door could be enough movement of the harnesses to make the problem go away I suppose.

I had a similar issue, but it sounds like yours is more extensive.  The display cable sometimes gets loosened by repeated opening and closing of the door over time.  The display goes off, but the machine is still working fine.  You get all sorts of weird reports of whats going wrong from people because of the missing display.

An upgrade cannot just consist of a control board.  There are a lot of parts that have to be replaced for the conversion to actually be real, and for you to be able to delete all the problems the 2s and 3s had.  I have people call all the time and claim the upgrade didn't fix their problems, but when I start asking what they replaced, they'll often say just the control board, and maybe one other part. 

For those interested, we do assemble and sell the complete and proper upgrade kit, complete with instructions and a video.  Here are the links.

Kit: http://stores.vendorstech.com/dixie-narco-bevmax-2-3-upgrade-to-bevmax-4-kit/

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrjmY1i43Q8

IMPORTANT!  Most every time you have a display that regularly goes blank on a BevMax, it can be fixed merely by separating the display harness cable between the control board and display from ALL other harnesses, and running it on a route of its own that isn't near or touching other harnessing in the machine.  Use zip ties or some other form of harness retainers to run it on a new route.  The reason it dies most of the time is because of electronic interference of some kind from other wiring.  Don't know how or why other harnessing causes that problem, but separating the cable is the official manufacturer solution to that problem, and they're the ones who have told me it is caused by electronic interference.  I fix this problem a lot using this method.

13 minutes ago, Vendors Tech said:

An upgrade cannot just consist of a control board.  There are a lot of parts that have to be replaced for the conversion to actually be real, and for you to be able to delete all the problems the 2s and 3s had.  I have people call all the time and claim the upgrade didn't fix their problems, but when I start asking what they replaced, they'll often say just the control board, and maybe one other part. 

For those interested, we do assemble and sell the complete and proper upgrade kit, complete with instructions and a video.  Here are the links.

Kit: http://stores.vendorstech.com/dixie-narco-bevmax-2-3-upgrade-to-bevmax-4-kit/

IMPORTANT!  Most every time you have a display that regularly goes blank on a BevMax, it can be fixed merely by separating the display harness cable between the control board and display from ALL other harnesses, and running it on a route of its own that isn't near or touching other harnessing in the machine.  Use zip ties or some other form of harness retainers to run it on a new route.  The reason it dies most of the time is because of electronic interference of some kind from other wiring.  Don't know how or why other harnessing causes that problem, but separating the cable is the official manufacturer solution to that problem, and they're the ones who have told me it is caused by electronic interference.  I fix this problem a lot using this method.

Thank you for the help.

12 hours ago, AZVendor said:

You have to make sure all 110v harnesses are away from any logic harnesses or cross them at right angles to prevent interference.  That is why.

Ah!  110 volts, that makes sense.  Dixie never specified what exactly it was.  There isn't much in that bundle harness that carries 110 volts though, so I never would have thought of that.

23 hours ago, Vendors Tech said:

I've purchased a couple of your upgrade kits and wow! My Bevmax 2 & 3 that I upgraded are operating just as good if not better than my  Bev 4's! Thanks for  making it easy for me by putting the kit together and making it available, VT! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2018 at 9:57 PM, MAW Vending said:

I've purchased a couple of your upgrade kits and wow! My Bevmax 2 & 3 that I upgraded are operating just as good if not better than my  Bev 4's! Thanks for  making it easy for me by putting the kit together and making it available, VT! :)

👍 Great to hear the feedback!

• 1 month later...

Archived