economy-related changes in account income

AngryChris

Random thought here, but I have noticed big changes in card-reader sales which appear to be due to the economy.  I believe that the high-demand for qualified workers (and thus higher competition for them) is causing a lot of rooted employees to leave their employers to seek "better" jobs.  Meanwhile, younger people seem to be filling in the vacancies but they are totally unpredictable when it comes to if they will stay or not.  This is has caused my sales to drop drastically at some places, which seems to be a combination of employee vacancies and the lack of card acceptance at those accounts.  This has also caused my sales to increase drastically at some places as well.. particularly the ones that take $1-20 bills and accept cards.  One of my locations did about $2500 when I first got them but they actually started to hire at least 10 temps so they can add on a 2nd shift to keep up with production.  The machines don't take cards yet but they do take $1-20's.  The location is now doing about $7,500/year.

I don't know if it's just a coincidence here locally, but it has forced me to reinvest into the business quickly so I can capture sales as the labor force continues to shake-up.  Anyone else noticing this?

I've noticed that our credit card sales have more than doubled in less than a year.  We plan on investing in more readers also.  I also notice that with the card readers, we are seeing more multi-vends and customers are not shying away from higher price point items.  :) 

Credit cards are growing quickly, still seeing steady cash sales at most locations; but the day is getting closer when a machine without a card reader will be as bad as a machine without a validator today.... upgrading as fast as I can afford.

14 minutes ago, orsd said:

Do the USAT lease.

There is a time and a place for using credit. This is one of them.

I get that, and I will when the time is right.

My current focus is on snack boxes and my soda location doesn’t currently bring in enough to justify credit imo. (Barely justifying the placement honestly.)

I’m getting my finances in order and when I do CC reader is first on the list, but at this point it’s a “luxury”.

My problem is not that I can't get card readers.. my problem is that I need to upgrade many machines to do so.  It simply doesn't make financial sense to dish out many thousands of dollars right now.  However, I am about to order my first wave of readers for what IS ready.

Compatibility is a sticking point for me as well, too many older machines... I am at about 40% cashless equipment but from here it is going to be an issue of upgrading or replacing equipment (or just closing the accounts that are too small to keep anyway).

I only have one location that I would not put a CC reader.  It is a concrete production facility with 4 machines. 1 Coke 660, 1 Pepsi 501E, 1 Pepsi 720P, and 1 Rowe 5 wide with an updated MOB board.  All machines are subsidized by ownership.  The 720P all Gatorade and is subbed with a token for.  Both soda machines are subbed .25 on top of price, and the snack is .45.  This place gets so unbelievably dusty that I would not want readers in there.  I am already refurbing the validators and coin mechs every 18 months or so.  Also the readers would not reflect the subsidies.

53 minutes ago, Corvus Corax said:

I only have one location that I would not put a CC reader.  It is a concrete production facility with 4 machines. 1 Coke 660, 1 Pepsi 501E, 1 Pepsi 720P, and 1 Rowe 5 wide with an updated MOB board.  All machines are subsidized by ownership.  The 720P all Gatorade and is subbed with a token for.  Both soda machines are subbed .25 on top of price, and the snack is .45.  This place gets so unbelievably dusty that I would not want readers in there.  I am already refurbing the validators and coin mechs every 18 months or so.  Also the readers would not reflect the subsidies.

Readers should do better, no moving parts.

Archived