disposing of machines

maestro489

I've upgraded several of my accounts this summer which is great, but it has left me with a garage full of vending machines that I most likely will not put back out on location, they are just to old and out of date.  What do you guys do with machines when you have no more use for them?

Scrap them after you be sure to scavenge out any common parts(motors, boards, spirals, harnesses). I hate when I scrap old machines then have a need for apart and have to buy new. You can probably get a Ryder or U-Haul with a gate for about 75 bucks and would most likely get a couple hundred bucks for a truckload

1 hour ago, cvending said:

Selling these to someone on Craigslist is selling to your competition. They get them cheap and then try to place them. 

Hadn’t considered that. I guess I don’t have a competitive enough mind.

I strip off anything still good, remove the cooling decks, and a couple times a year I call the scrap yard and they bring me a roll off container. I spend a couple days loading it and then they come get it and I collect the money from them. Usually get couple hundred dollars from a 30 yard roll of container. 

Honestly in my market there are so many machines for sale that scrapping them to deprive my competitors would be like pissing in the wind. If they are worth 100 or more I’ll sell on CL.

With that said, most of the machines I’ve gotten rid of lately have been really old junk like flat face DN 440s, Rowe 4900s, and AP 4500s, which went to scrap. Or I’ll repurpose them, had a buddy that needed a secure locking box so I gutted a Rowe and riveted sheet metal on the front. Great for tools or as an ammo locker. Also turned an old AP into a paint booth for small parts. I’m fixing to make a sandblast cabinet out of whatever snack machine I junk next. I’m also toying with making a chilled air dryer by placing old AC condensers in a chilled, gutted single price DN. But I’m not even sure that it’s possible yet.

Archived