Overprotective managers

VAVending

Is it just me or do y’all find a good amount of managers tend to ruin the first week or two of sales by putting a sticky note on the box telling people they’d better pay? I even had someone put one over the money hole stating “NO TOUCHY unless you pay $1.25.”

I mean, I appreciate the thought, but don’t they understand what that does to sales? Plus I always stress the box isn’t their responsibility. Ah well, I do appreciate the honest people out there.

Had one manager this morning try to pay me $17 for the last few weeks of shortages, I appreciate it but that’d be me stealing from him. He’s been paying. Gotta love managers.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 3:25 PM, VAVending said:

Is it just me or do y’all find a good amount of managers tend to ruin the first week or two of sales by putting a sticky note on the box telling people they’d better pay? I even had someone put one over the money hole stating “NO TOUCHY unless you pay $1.25.”

I mean, I appreciate the thought, but don’t they understand what that does to sales? Plus I always stress the box isn’t their responsibility. Ah well, I do appreciate the honest people out there.

Had one manager this morning try to pay me $17 for the last few weeks of shortages, I appreciate it but that’d be me stealing from him. He’s been paying. Gotta love managers.

Hi... Want  to give you a tip. Having managers make up for their workers shortfall is wonderful, but in the end you lose. Make sure the manager realizes that he alone is not responsible for the box. In the end if this goes on you'll lose the account.

10 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Hi... Want  to give you a tip. Having managers make up for their workers shortfall is wonderful, but in the end you lose. Make sure the manager realizes that he alone is not responsible for the box. In the end if this goes on you'll lose the account.

Definitely, I always turn them down and I always pay back overage. The “honor” goes both ways in this business.

It’s part of my locating script that they are in no way responsible, and I reiterate it every time I go in (assuming the manager is being overprotective).

Some locations they calm down with time, others they just buckle down. All in all it’s worked out so far though.

But no, I never let a manager cover shortage, and the only thing they hear from me is, “Thanks, but we’ve got it covered” essentially.

2 hours ago, VAVending said:

Definitely, I always turn them down and I always pay back overage. The “honor” goes both ways in this business.

It’s part of my locating script that they are in no way responsible, and I reiterate it every time I go in (assuming the manager is being overprotective).

Some locations they calm down with time, others they just buckle down. All in all it’s worked out so far though.

But no, I never let a manager cover shortage, and the only thing they hear from me is, “Thanks, but we’ve got it covered” essentially.

Yes I had that happen to me once where the manager was taking up the slack, and in the end out of frustration and embarrassment, he told me to pull the box.

One thing to keep in mind, sometimes PULLING the box is a way to work the shortages.  There is nothing wrong with temporarily removing the box for a short period of time, and then replace it again.  And many managers will go along with that.  Just my 2 cents!  :) 

2 hours ago, flintflash said:

One thing to keep in mind, sometimes PULLING the box is a way to work the shortages.  There is nothing wrong with temporarily removing the box for a short period of time, and then replace it again.  And many managers will go along with that.  Just my 2 cents!  :) 

Interesting idea. Thanks!

12 hours ago, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Let me know if that works. I might want to try that on the customer that I lost. Flint will that work still if it's been a year?

Well, after a year, you are pretty much reselling the box again.  It only works if you talk to the manager/owner beforehand and replace the box in a short time span.  But communication is the key.

Archived