Bev/Snack Location Worth Trying?

BGJ

Is this worth it at all? 15 employee logistics company with trucks coming in and out in Los Angeles County.

I have a location about 2 blocks away  that I recently got (also logistics, I'd say 25 employees). Approximating 2k+ in sales annually.

I might be on a limb here, but I would say combo, for a couple of reasons.

1. Near a location you are already servicing.

2. Cans last a long time, and margins are good.

3. Put some relatively long shelf life chips in it. You can probably fill it with onevariety box.

4. Stay away from pastries, but cookies have better shelf life. Amos/Linden/Grandmas.

5. Candy, normal stuff, but extra m$m`s, drivers can pocket them for later.

It's never going to be great, but you can probably grab $100 every 2 weeks for a half hour of work.

It really depends on the drivers and what other options they have while they are there.  I have a trucking terminal with only a handful of regular employees, but it easily does 150-200 per week with the drivers who end up killing time there.  In my favor is that it's rural and there aren't many other options nearby. 

20 hours ago, Southeast Treats said:

It really depends on the drivers and what other options they have while they are there.  I have a trucking terminal with only a handful of regular employees, but it easily does 150-200 per week with the drivers who end up killing time there.  In my favor is that it's rural and there aren't many other options nearby. 

It is weird how efficiency can affect sales. I had an industrial parts supply with trucks in and out 6 days a week. The orders manager was a big fat guy that bought 2 honey buns every morning. He got sick, and they put a young go getter in there. The new guy is way more efficient, so the drivers aren't waiting around in the lobby for loads. I also lost the 2 buns a day. My sales went from $500+ a month to under 100. Ended up pulling my machines. I miss that guy.

One of the sites on the first route I bought was a trucking depot. It was great. The staff count wasn't high, but there were a lot of independent truck drivers that would deliver from the main city four hours away. Safety rules dictate mandatory rest periods for drivers, which meant a lot of truckers waiting around in the staff room where the machine was.

I got another trucking place later and it didn't do nearly as well, so it depends on the make up of the business.

Archived