brendio

My New Chocolate Claw Machine

It gets pretty quiet in here, so I thought I'd make a quick video today of a new chocolate claw machine I placed. This is an upgrade of an older (13 year old) machine on the site.

There were a couple of niggles I needed to sort out once I had it on site with getting credit card reader settings right, and the connector on the modem was loose, so SMS reporting wasn't working at first, so I spent probably an hour on the phone all up getting that sorted and troubleshooting.

They are made here in Australia, including the claw gantry now as the quality of their previous Taiwanese supplier was slipping.

Let me know what you think of it and feel free to ask any questions.

• Like 1

The idea is not new here. They have been made like that here for 20 years. The guy sold his original business, and then redesigned and improved the boards and cabinets a few years later and started a new company.

I am going to restock it tomorrow. It has been quite a bit more generous to players than the last one. I adjusted the claw opening a bit last time I was there, but I think I need to do a full audit over the next cycle to check that I'm not losing money on it.

Another thing. On Saturday night, I was out at a birthday party. I got a text message from the machine with a bunch of errors. Seemed like the claw was stuck. I texted back to reset the machine, and it soon reported back error free. I could get back to focusing on the party and my machine could get back to making me money.

Screenshot_2018-10-25-23-18-21-457_com.android_mms.thumb.png.db16e4eb5b79c350d9b7bec7613dba96.png

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether they are available from anyone in the states. I know he has been in discussion with international distributors, but not sure where. They are around $5000-6000 USD with our dollar down at the moment. There are cheaper Chinese knock offs, but I wouldn't go there. Taiwanese plush machines can be okay, but not the chocolate ones. This their website: http://www.cashflowgames.com.au/

On 10/26/2018 at 12:21 AM, Coal River Vending said:

What’s the price tag on one of these? Do you know anywhere in the states that sells them?

Update: No stateside distributor, but he has done container load shipments there and the UK in the past. He is big into making candy floss machines at the moment, which are interesting for the right site. They are not cheap, but the gross profit margin on it is insane (~95%).

you can find one here in the states every once in awhile they are called chocolate factory i have one everyone really likes it BUT it is so frustrating because it picks up a lot but then it has to get past the pusher mostly just falls right back in the showcase. They also come in 2 models refridgerated to keep chocolate cold or not refridgerated. I do not have the fridge one therefore in the summer when it is hot and the chocolate was melting I renamed the treasure factory and put toys and other stuff in it. You can sometimes find one on craigslist or ebay for about $1000 it makes me $$$$

17 hours ago, vendbend said:

you can find one here in the states every once in awhile they are called chocolate factory i have one everyone really likes it BUT it is so frustrating because it picks up a lot but then it has to get past the pusher mostly just falls right back in the showcase. They also come in 2 models refridgerated to keep chocolate cold or not refridgerated. I do not have the fridge one therefore in the summer when it is hot and the chocolate was melting I renamed the treasure factory and put toys and other stuff in it. You can sometimes find one on craigslist or ebay for about $1000 it makes me $$$$

If it made by Win'n'Grin, then it is from the same guy. That's his original business, and it was  Chocolate Factory that this machine replaced on this site. The newer machines have a piece of perspex between the pusher deck and the main area where the chocolates are. That stops them falling back off.

I was having problems with melting chocolates too. The Chocolate Factory I took out had refrigeration, but it was disconnected by the previous owner before I bought my business. He said it was having problems with condensation. I have been tested it back in my shed and can see some condensation on the ducts under the cabinet. I am thinking of trying to add insulation to cut that down a bit.

They are well worth $1000.

Last week, I worked out what was giving me the error messages. I got the homing switch errors again, and this time they weren't clearing with the remote reset command. I was going past the venue the next day to visit another site, so I called in along the way and found the claw stuck to the air conditioning duct. (I had noticed in testing that the claw when engaged attracting itself magnetically to the metal duct.) I unstuck it and went on my way.

IMG_20181123_172931-600x800.thumb.jpg.077d67d2995417f89f3b6443531901f6.jpg

On Thursday night, I got error messages again, and went out again to find the same thing happening. I rang the manufacturer, and he said to put rubber stoppers on the top rails so the gantry doesn't go back as far. I looked and they were already there, but perhaps not thick enough to stop this happening. I found I could bend slightly the brackets holding these rubber stoppers and was getting better results.

Over the weekend, I had an idea for an improvement. I have been playing with 3D printing, so decided to print a collar for the claw to cover the bits sticking out and getting stuck. I have not yet installed it in the field to try it out (but have also not had any more errors yet either).

IMG_20181124_153504-600x800.thumb.jpg.bf0fd774e1e298117e35cd9be6b84411.jpg

The machine did over $150 in sales over the weekend, so this SMS alerting is paying for itself in avoiding lost sales. (The other account I visited this week had two machines out of action from someone trying to stick a steak knife into the coin mechanism and breaking the mounting plates in the mean time. The manager had been away, so I wasn't called straight away. Who knows how long there were out of action and how much income I lost from that?)