Dixie Narco questions - compatibility

I currently have a DN 100-5 Dr Pepper machine that I purchased for a pretty cheap price ($125). Hauled it carefully and put it in place, waited 3-4 days to plug it in. It ran and cooled for 3-4 days and then it stopped cooling. I am not overly disappointed as I bought it as is. But, the machine will not vend at all. I can 'manually' activate the dispense mechanisms for each slot with front of machine open, but it does not vend when the button is pushed. The 'sold out' lights work on 4 of the 5 slots. Coin mech was not present when I bought it. If anyone has any ideas on addressing the issues (no cooling and no vending)  it would be appreciated, but... I have found a replacement machine for a reasonable price (around $300).

The potential replacement machine is a DN 168/99-6 (also Dr Pepper but doubt that matters!!) that is currently operational -- cools and vends. I am curious if there are any parts that can be used from the 100-5 in the 168/99-6.

Appreciate any help on this. Is destined for my shop which currently is not heated. I seem to like a cold beverage in winter that isn't frozen!

I should have said I really know nothing about these machines -- this is my first one.

There is no coin mechanism in the DN 100 and I do not recall seeing a cord that didn't "belong" there -- all the wiring appears to be original.

I loaded cans into each slot and the sold out lights were no longer lit. But no button would activate/dispense. The only way I could get any activity was to remove that cover over the motors and manually make them dispense.

So at this point, my main question is most likely are there parts that are interchangeable between the DN 100 and a DN 168, i.e. motors, switches, etc.?

Roger

Thanks!! That is very helpful as I am figuring the cost of the working machine ($300) could be cheaper than getting the DN 100 operational since I am not able to do the refrigeration part myself. Coin mech I can probably figure out, but I have zero knowledge really on the cooling deck.

I plugged it in at the place I bought it I could feel air that was cooler than not where the cans would be. Compressor came on as I think it should. When I put it in place in my shop and let it sit for 2-3 days, I plugged it in and I could feel it cooling. Compressor operated normally. I checked it 24 hours later and it was definitely cooling nicely. Same in 24 hrs. I was gone for a day and checked it when I got home and it was no longer cooling. It sounded like the compressor was still running but it was warm inside the machine. I did operate the thermostat once it quit cooling but that did not seem to change anything,

Probably a bad compressor is turning the thermostat off makes no change.  It should turn the condenser fan off to so if that isn't turned off then the thermostat is bad which could have burned up the compressor by running it too long.  In any event the older a compressor gets the more likely it is to have issues.

I plugged the machine in this morning and fan comes on immediately. When I turn thermostat from off position the is a click and it sounds like the compressor engages or st least there is a change in the sound the machine makes. Similarly when I turn thermostat to off it clicks and I only hear the fan. 

Will leave it running a bit and see if it cools at all. Have tstat set at 5. 

After an hour the fan and compressor are still running, but there is now warm air inside the machine where the soda and/or adult beverages would go. Rotated thermostat to off position, it clicks and the compressor stops, fan still running. Have unplugged machine.

So am guessing compressor may be shot or in the very least needs a charge. And that doesn't cover the lack of vending which per orsd I need a coin mechanism.  Still am thinking running machine may be most cost efficient solution,

I do realize the older the machine, the more potential issues unless you know what you are doing which I don't, except am somewhat mechanically inclined and can remove/replace parts.

Are there issues other than still being an 80s-90s machine with a DN 168 that means I should stay away from it? I am partial to a non-coke/pepsi machine which is why lean toward Dr Pepper or 7up or something like that. I know badging means little on these machines.

Thanks to all the help so far. You guys have a lot of knowledge that a total newb like me appreciates.

14 minutes ago, RogerinIowa said:

After an hour the fan and compressor are still running, but there is now warm air inside the machine where the soda and/or adult beverages would go. Rotated thermostat to off position, it clicks and the compressor stops, fan still running. Have unplugged machine.

So am guessing compressor may be shot or in the very least needs a charge. And that doesn't cover the lack of vending which per orsd I need a coin mechanism.  Still am thinking running machine may be most cost efficient solution,

I do realize the older the machine, the more potential issues unless you know what you are doing which I don't, except am somewhat mechanically inclined and can remove/replace parts.

Are there issues other than still being an 80s-90s machine with a DN 168 that means I should stay away from it? I am partial to a non-coke/pepsi machine which is why lean toward Dr Pepper or 7up or something like that. I know badging means little on these machines.

Thanks to all the help so far. You guys have a lot of knowledge that a total newb like me appreciates.

The vending parts are rock solid reliable.

The only real “weak spots” is the refrigeration system, but that is expected of a 40 year old system.

For your current situation a coin mech is going to run maybe 40 bucks on eBay. A conplete, rebuilt cooling deck is about 300, but you know that it’s gonna be good for years to come. They are pretty easy to swap, I can pull one in like 20 minutes.

Honestly it depends on which one you like better looks wise, as this is a to be home use machine.

I don't even know what a DN100 is and I've never heard of that model.  There is no guarantee that parts are interchangeable between them.  There are two fans in this machine - one evaporator fan inside the cabinet that runs all the time and one condenser fan under the machine in front of the compressor.  The condenser fan is supposed to turn on and off with the compressor which is dictated by the thermostat.  If the fan that runs after you turn the thermostat off is inside the cabinet then that is not related to the thermostat.  The set point for the thermostat is 3 1/2, not that it matters at this point.  Turn the thermostat CCW to off and see if the fan underneath is off and feel the bell of the compressor to see if it's not running.  

Now turn the thermostat CW from off and that fan should come on.  You should also hear the compressor come on and it will heat up as it runs.  If this is happening but the machine is not cooling then you are out of freon.  Have a trained, certified technician recharge it.  If the compressor doesn't come on then you need a new one and that machine is probably not worth a new compressor.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a working DN 168/99-6 machine and it is still working perfectly. I can see from examining the inside of the machine and comparing to the DN 100 that there are many parts that appear to be shared between the two machines. We are about to get sub-freezing temps so I will be watching the new machine to make sure I have cold but not frozen beverages. Thanks for all the input on these machines and will come back if I have more questions. Appreciate all the input.

I am sure it's rated for outdoor use and there's nothing wrong with it being outside.  I am in ohio and we do get cold winters here.  I only mention the temp because many regions just never get cold enough.  They do make heaters but i couldn't tell you much about them or even if they'll fit in a small model.

My shop is not currently heated so while the machine is not outdoors it will be in cold conditions. I can get close to 0 in my shop during the coldest periods. Of course I don't do much in there at that time!! But, I have an small area I can temporarily heat. I have seen lots of pop machines around here and where I grew up in Minnesota that have dispensed cold but not frozen soda all winter long. And this one is not dispensing soda...usually carbonated malt beverages! 😉 🍺 

For soda machines the evaporator fans run continuously inside the cabinet. The waste heat and insulation will prevent freezing above around 10 degrees. The alcohol in the beer might prevent freezing for a few more degrees. What you can do if it will be really cold (like under 0 degrees) is plug in a low wattage light bulb in a lamp inside the machine. Doesn’t take much, even one of the efficient spiral cfl bulbs should work.

Archived