Cleaning Condenser fins

tblake05

What does everyone use?

Some of the machines we purchased have such large amounts of dust buildup on them, a vacuum cleaner wont touch them.

I'm considering buying one of those refillable air cans that refill much like a tire valve since most of our locations are in a deal.  Also possibly one of those dewalt battery vacuum cleaners.

Thoughts?

We use a little portable shop vac.  I know you just got these,  but once you get them clean stay on top of cleaning and a small shop vac will do great.

The compressed air will typically only last a couple of stops before you have to refill.

If I don’t have them on location I take them to the car wash. Air compressor & shop vac combo help to reduce the dust. Even more portable is a leaf blower. I’ve also used condenser cleaner & a brush that I bought at Home Depot. Has a lemon scent to it. 

D&S Vending has a coil cleaner that you spray on the fins, let it soak for a couple minutes and it will dissolve the dirt/dust. Turn the compressor back on and it does the rest. It’s about $8/can. Good for multiple machines per can. No clean up needed

Sometimes when the dust is super thick the coil cleaner does jack golpher. I like to get a clean Hudson sprayer (the roundup branded ones at HD are decent) and use that to spray water.

Or if the location doesn’t mind dust floating around (shop, outdoors, etc) compressed air does wonders.

I always carry a regular hair comb in my tool bag to use exclusively to drag down the front of condensers to pull the dirt off so the dirt isn't pushed into the condenser.  If one is syrupy then pull the condenser and hose it out.  If the dirt is dry and loose but too deep to get out with a comb then compressed air will blow it out.  I always used a CO2 cylinder with a nozzle on a hose if I had to blow one out on location.  It will make a huge dust cloud though.

Archived