DN 368 BE questions

Thanks for the add! I recently bought a DN 368 BE 7-up machine for use in my car shop. I have been reading your posts and am very happy to have found such a helpful group. I really appreciate the mentoring I’ve read about with folks getting into your business.  

The unit is very clean and seems to cool and vend well. The dollar validator is a DN USA-15.  It took a while to get it to pull in the bills. I ordered a box of the waffle cleaners and it works well. I am concerned that the belts are a bit dry and am wondering if there is something I can put on them to tack them up a bit?

The unit had the BE serial number suffix but I’m not certain which year that makes it.

I would like to be able to vend the center racks for some plastic bottles but my machine doesn’t have the spacer bars. I’d like to see if I could buy some or fabricate something that will work.

i would also like to see if I could get some casters for the unit and am wondering if it’s easier to source them locally than to try to buy a used set.  

Thanks so much for reading my post and I hope to learn some tricks to take care of my machine. John

Welcome!

As for the bill validator, the USA-15 is obsolete. You may be able to still buy new belts for it, but when it breaks its time to upgrade to a Mars VN.

The BE suffix dates it to sometime to the early 80's (I'm too lazy to do the exact count backwards from Z, which is 2001)

If you want to do bottles you are limited to 16.9 oz, 1 deep in the narrow columns. No shims really needed, just pull your rear spacer forward and set the cam so only 1 notch is showing.

As for casters I don't really like them, they make the machine a little too tippy. Is there a reason you want them?

Thanks so much for the quick reply!  My math says 1980!  

As for the column spacers, the cutout detents are there in the columns, but the spacers are missing. I’d like to figure how to get some or make something that will work. I’d like to be able to vend some bottles although I haven’t determined what’s available yet.

I’ll also need to find some of the sold out lights. Two are flickering now.

My Coinco Dex 9300 model 9370-S is working fine. The bill validator DN USA-15 seems to only work well after the cleaning sheet moistens the belts. I’d like to either see if I can rejuvenate the belts or replace them. Any chance I can take some of the cleaner sheets and put some thing on the spots that touch the belts that would give them a bit more traction?

I’d like to be able to move the unit around. Everything in my shop is on wheels... I would crib it up to make it stable once located. It’s in an amateur racecar shop that’s not  open to general public so I’m not as concerned about mischief.  I’d like to see what capacity castors I need and see if anyone had some that they would like to part with. I’m in suburban Chicago. 

I need to clean the inside a bit more, there is some old soda goop on the center vending mechanisms. I’ve read here that mild TSP and warm water is good for that. Would you recommend that also?

Thanks again for your time, I do appreciate any direction available.

john

Just hose it out. Soap and water if needed. Replace the validator because nothing will make it better. You can do 16.9 oz bottles or smaller in the narrow columns only and you won't need a shim for that in a narrow column. No larger bottles will work.  Keep in mind that the machine is a single price machine so you can't sell different products at different prices.

If you can't buy the spacers, then good luck on making your own.  The majority of us here are just vending operators and not fabricators.

Your best bet is to hose it out like AZ said, and let it dry thoroughly.  And you need to trash the USA 15 if you want the machine to work better.  Shipping and all, a refurbished mars validator with all of thr harnesses should go for less han $150 or close to it.  That will make the machine take bills sooo much better.  Or, just continue to struggle with what you have.

Deerpark makes a 16oz vendable bottle for exactly what your doing. Probably some other makes as well, but i have only seen the Deepark. Don't try any Wal-Mart or grocery store brands, the bottle is too squishy and will jam the machine. The 16oz Deer park sells for about $7 a case, so you can just price it the same as the sodas. I had a 368 set up the same way. I ditched the diet soda for water, since no one was buying the diet.

As for casters, that machine is easily 500lbs, probably more when full. Could be a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have plain concrete floors in your shop, just pick up some metal furniture sliders, and problem solved.

Good luck.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:52 PM, Corvus Corax said:

Deerpark makes a 16oz vendable bottle for exactly what your doing. Probably some other makes as well, but i have only seen the Deepark. Don't try any Wal-Mart or grocery store brands, the bottle is too squishy and will jam the machine. The 16oz Deer park sells for about $7 a case, so you can just price it the same as the sodas. I had a 368 set up the same way. I ditched the diet soda for water, since no one was buying the diet.

As for casters, that machine is easily 500lbs, probably more when full. Could be a disaster waiting to happen.

If you have plain concrete floors in your shop, just pick up some metal furniture sliders, and problem solved.

Good luck.

The machine is 750 lbs empty. Full around 1000-1200lbs

I like to factor in a margin of safety so I would say 400 lb casters minimum.

Thanks guys! The Dearpark bottles don’t seem to be available in my area (Chicagoland). I’ll see what I can find that may have decent packaging.

I’ll look for some 400#+ casters. When I use wheels on heavy equipment I usually crib the machine up on blocks and shims when located to level it and make it more rigid. This helps to take the weight off the wheels so they don’t take a set or crush the floor tiles.

Thanks! I’m looking for a distributor online now. Are they 1/2”-13 stem casters about 400#? I’ve found those online with reference to the DN 368 model for 75.00 plus shipping. 

As I get more familiar with this thing I’m wondering if the the evaporator fan runs constantly or is it also controlled by a thermostat? My wiring diagram on the door seems to have given up the ghost. 

Thanks again to all for the help!

John

12 hours ago, Johnny Turbo said:

Thanks! I’m looking for a distributor online now. Are they 1/2”-13 stem casters about 400#? I’ve found those online with reference to the DN 368 model for 75.00 plus shipping. 

As I get more familiar with this thing I’m wondering if the the evaporator fan runs constantly or is it also controlled by a thermostat? My wiring diagram on the door seems to have given up the ghost. 

Thanks again to all for the help!

John

The kit I cited are 5/8 thread as are most Dixie Narco machines. You'll find manuals in the download section of this site.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello All, Happy Thanksgiving!

I have made some good progress on my machine. A new set of belts made the bill acceptor work fine. I received a set of HD casters from Access Casters that I haven’t installed yet. I have the refer deck out to clean everything and I replaced the condenser fan motor since the wires were cracked. My current issues are that the inside of the unit has a rusted through spot on the right side floor. My guess is that it wasn’t level for a while and condensation and spilled product must have collected on that side. I’m looking for ideas on how to best repair it. It looks like I’ll have to build up a section to make sure that it drains to center.

also, I need to either repair or replace the bottom section of the door gasket. It’s ripped where it must have stuck to the cabinet during leakage incidents... does anyone have one or can salvage me a piece big enough for the bottom?

thanks so much for looking at my post and take care, John.

• 5 months later...

Hello all and thanks again for your help. My machine is working again after a local vending guy sold me a refurbished 368 deck. My old one was r12 and I was feeling bad using up old cans trying to make it work... the one I have now is 401. I don’t have any “experience” with that stuff but my deck has a new compressor, filter drier and fan. And works well. He did try to bring me some depth spacers that didn’t fit. The ones he brought had finger holes to adjust the spring loaded ears. Photo shows ones that didn’t fit. Those must be for later model 368s. Mine is a BE. Does anyone know where I could buy a few for my singles?

the casters I installed have grease fittings and move the machine with little effort when loaded. 

Hope all is well and hope to find some of those depth spaces so my kids can get some juice and Gatorade’s...

thanks again,

John

150554D4-7C08-4A12-A3A0-48A1F9BC0038.jpeg

Those are the correct spacers for older DN machines but it sounds like you have one of the machines that Pepsi had built that had no rear spacers as they were made for 12 oz cans two deep only.  Pepsi experimented with making the machines simpler for their full service drivers by using this machine with no rear or side spacers.  Any spacers that Dixie made for it are no longer available, anywhere.  The inner walls are different with different locations for adjustments and you are chasing your tail on an oddball cabinet.  The rotors are different on that machine too which makes them very hard to find new.  Your best hope, should one get bent, is to get one from a similar machine.

Thanks for the quick reply. The machine has stamped out adjuster slots in the racks.  It looks like something would slide in sideways and then lock in perpendicular in those vertical slots. I think I’ll just cobble something that locates off the rear supports. Advice I’ve read is to have “2 fingers” of front to back clearance for the bottles, cap to the rear.  Thanks again!

john 

I just picked up a single price 368 from one of my locations as I'm trying to upgrade worthy accounts.  If I recall, my particular 368 had back spacers like a 501e.  Maybe I'm wrong but the other odd thing is that this 368 also had a coin insert decal like an e series.  Perhaps it had been converted or maybe Dixie was still making single price machines and just used "e" style parts in late single price machines.

My “budget” machine... it looks like it was rebranded or updated with the 7up wrap. It has dark wood grain vinyl visible at edges of the green on the front. The bill acceptor was cobbled I to the front door.

76CF3059-244F-4418-A257-97E328836BB8.jpeg

Edited by Johnny Turbo
Extra info

5 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I just picked up a single price 368 from one of my locations as I'm trying to upgrade worthy accounts.  If I recall, my particular 368 had back spacers like a 501e.  Maybe I'm wrong but the other odd thing is that this 368 also had a coin insert decal like an e series.  Perhaps it had been converted or maybe Dixie was still making single price machines and just used "e" style parts in late single price machines.

That was a later machine. DN updated the coin insert to the E series style, but the rest of the machine is the same. I’ve personally seen 368s, 440s, and 501Ts done up like that. I have also seen single price 501Es, that DN confirmed left the factory as single price (technically 501ERs).

6 hours ago, orsd said:

That was a later machine. DN updated the coin insert to the E series style, but the rest of the machine is the same. I’ve personally seen 368s, 440s, and 501Ts done up like that. I have also seen single price 501Es, that DN confirmed left the factory as single price (technically 501ERs).

I have a 501 ER in my garage.  I'm trying to find a home for it.