How Hard is it to Drill a High Security Lock

fhamann

I am considering buying a drink vending machine DN501E that is closed and the owner has lost the key.  The key is one of those "high security" half moon type.  I have drilled ordinary round key locks, but never one of these half moon locks.  Is it more difficult?  How hard is it to drill out?

regards,

Frank

Orange, CA

I bought a few of Home depot's best "cobalt" drills and they barely made a mark on the lock.  I then called a locksmith to come out next week.  He said it will be $50 to $200 depending on how hard it is to remove this lock.  I will report on how he does once he finishes.

Save yourself the $200 and drill through the t-handle itself to cut the bolt off the lock cylinder.  Whether you have to drill one or both sides of the handle you will have to replace the handle and receiver behind it but that will be less than $200.

Today the locksmith came to open my soda machine.  He looked at it, scratched his head and said, "This is a tough one.  My price is $250.  It might take me 10 minutes, or 2 hours."  I said, "Why dont you start drilling and see if it comes quickly, and if it takes 10 minutes, I will pay you $50."  He said, "No, $250, but I will give you some advice for $15 to cover my house call."  I said ok and gave him $15.  He said to drill 2 holes on either side to drill through the lock post.  So I did and after 45 minutes and 2 holes, I was able to open the machine.  Total cost:  $40 in new drills, $15 for the locksmith advice.  Inside the machine there was $160 in coins and bills.  Now I need to buy a new T-handle.  The machine is working good. 

2 hours ago, fhamann said:

Today the locksmith came to open my soda machine.  He looked at it, scratched his head and said, "This is a tough one.  My price is $250.  It might take me 10 minutes, or 2 hours."  I said, "Why dont you start drilling and see if it comes quickly, and if it takes 10 minutes, I will pay you $50."  He said, "No, $250, but I will give you some advice for $15 to cover my house call."  I said ok and gave him $15.  He said to drill 2 holes on either side to drill through the lock post.  So I did and after 45 minutes and 2 holes, I was able to open the machine.  Total cost:  $40 in new drills, $15 for the locksmith advice.  Inside the machine there was $160 in coins and bills.  Now I need to buy a new T-handle.  The machine is working good. 

Well...that was what AZVendor told you to do...and he didn't even ask for the $15  :)

Archived