Cooling Issues

hubbell23

Hello,

I have a Vendo V345M that I am already more money in than it's worth, according to another poster on this forum. lol. However, I'm pot committed at this point and am enjoying learning and trying to fix my machine.

So, neither the compressor or condenser fan run when plugged in. Evaporator fan does run. I have tested the continuity and resistance on the compressor, starter relay and overload sensor and I believe they are all ok, although I am fairly green at using a DMM. 

Could it be the thermostat? Also, I have been unsuccessful in locating the temp control, even though I am told it is on the left side of the evaporator coil. 

Any help is appreciated!

The evaporator fan is hooked up to the cabinet, so it runs regardless of what the deck does as long as the machine has power.  The deck plugs into the cabinet.  For a deck to not run, it either has no power or the thermostat is not calling for cooling. 

You can check the deck itself by plugging it in directly.  That will tell you if the problem is with the deck or the cabinet-side (including the thermostat in that sense).  If it runs, then it's the thermostat or the plug inside the cabinet (or some wiring to it. I don't know those details).  It's usually not the plug though but the thermostats do fail.  When a thermostat fails in a good way, the deck won't run.  When it fails in a bad way, it won't stop running and you'll have a mess.

If the deck does not do anything when plugged in directly, i would assume it to be a wiring issue as a deck will usually do SOMETHING (ie click, buzz, etc..) when the wiring is good.  It could be a totally locked up compressor but i'd imagine you'd get constant draws from your electrical.  I think the thermostat is the most likely cuprit though, that's assuming everything is connected (plug going into the deck AND wires for thermostat).  Check the connections first.

If the cooling unit is totally silent and the thermostat is turned on then make sure the cooling unit is plugged in to the main power harness at the lower left corner of the cabinet.  The unit uses a two prong lamp cord-type plug so look for that just hanging loose.  Your thermostat on the left of the evaporator looks like this and has no knob on it.  The capillary tube will be extended inside the evaporator housing.

https://www.google.com/search?q=vendo+thermostat&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwix_LbE1-DfAhWSxZ8KHe8yCwsQ7Al6BAgFEA8&biw=1584&bih=812

Thank you.

To AngryChris: I apologize, but I am unfamiliar with the term "deck." Can you elaborate?

To AZVendor: I did check the compressor plug and it is plugged in to the power harness.

I will look for the thermostat and see if I can lower the temperature and see if it will kick on.

Thanks!

The "Deck" usually refers to the cooling unit as a whole.  For vending, the compressor, fan, and cooling fins are mounted on a removable plate (or deck) with the copper lines and evaporator attached; the unit is made to be removed and replaced in the field by vending people like us with no real refrigeration skills!  The evaporator fan and thermostat are separate from the deck, and most decks have a simple 120 plug that goes to the thermostat controlled outlet inside the machine... so you can plug the deck into any 120 outlet to test it apart from the thermostat.

Thank you, Southeast Treats. I believe I found the problem. I finally located the thermostat, pulled it out and tested it and get nothing. Unfortunately, this was not before ordering a new starter relay, then an overload protection sensor. With my limited knowledge of refrigeration systems and DMMs, I have learned that the nominal 00.2 ohm readings on the starter relay and overload protection sensor were that of the two prongs from the multi meter. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but after watching several tutorials, that is what I believe it was. So now that I know a little more about it, I am more confident that the thermostat is indeed bad after testing it.

I've learned that this particular machine is junk and not worth the money I paid for it, let alone the money I've had to put into it since. However, this seems to be the way I learn about things...expensively :)

Thank you all for your help and guidance. I will let you know if a new thermostat does the trick.

Edit: Any advice on what thermostat to buy? the old unit says Volts A.C. 125-250; Amps. FL 16 8; Amps. LR 80 40. There are other numbers of 368794J and BUL NO 9530N1143, but I'm not sure what numbers I need to replace this.

Thanks!

Awww, that makes sense. Shoot. Well, I wonder what to do now.

Also, how important is it to get the phase right when reconnecting the condenser fan, compressor power, and thermostat? None of the wires differentiate between hot and neutral that I can tell. They are all black.

Archived