Red Bull

tblake05

Does anyone have luck selling Red Bull?  I've got a machine at a location with a bunch of kids teenagers I think it may sell well.  Sam's sells them by the case, do the math, costs 1.43 each.  If I price them at 2.25, do you think they'll sell well.

Next question, machine is a Genesis GO-127.  I know, I know, but has anyone ever installed the redbull can shim in one of these?  Is it very difficult?  Looks like I could handle it. (See the link, about 3/4 of the way towards the bottom is the can adapter)

https://genesisvendingmachineparts.weebly.com/

After 2 locations practically begged for it, I gave in. It sold well for about 6 months, then dropped to about 3 cans per week total. I have since discontinued it. Changed one of them to Monster, and it does ok.

I have red bull in my location. It sells ok.. I instlled the shim and it works fine with office delli combo machine.. that is the silver machine on your link.I sell them for 2.50 I would not sell the cheaper than that.. Also you can try monster or rockstar.. Office deli will alow that with no special upgrades like shims etc.. Good luck )

Thanks guys,

We have monster at other locations that sell decently.  Red bull are small cans for the same price though, so I'm not sure if they would be willing to spend the money as Chris stated.

The machine we own requires the shim, so we'd have to at least make enough in sales to pay for it.

Otherwise, has anyone tried the 16oz cans of monster in the GO-127 vertical sections?.....

It is location dependent, but I had an account where it was outselling coke. They would go through over two cases a week in my combo machine there, and it was priced at AU$3.50 versus coke for $1.60. Energy drinks seems to be a personal (and perhaps regional) taste.

I sell monster at a few locations.  One in particular sells a case each week.  I may need to switch columns so i can double up on it because itd oes so well.  I never tried redbull because it's SO expensive, it usually requires a shim kit to vend properly, and people have this misconception that vending machines shouldn't sell things at prices comparable to convenience stores.  They'll buy it at the c-store for $2.50.  They'll buy a case at the grocery store for $1.50/unit.  But $2.25 from a vending machine?  Maybe, maybe not.  I KNOW i am not the only vendor here who has stocked products that people BEGGED for only to see it barely sell and become a huge disappointment.  Begged!!!

Energy drinks in general are strong sellers for me.  I don't have Red Bull in too many locations, mostly Monster and in price sensitive locations Venom.  In my experience, kids in general have never had a dollar they didn't want to spend RIGHT NOW and could care less about price as long as they have the money. 

13 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I KNOW i am not the only vendor here who has stocked products that people BEGGED for only to see it barely sell and become a huge disappointment.  Begged!!!

Yep, been begged, threatened and bribed for product that goes past date before getting consumed. 

Had a 10 selection Vendo stacker that had decent sales - main contact at the account told me I HAD to put in Mellow Yellow (because everyone was clamoring for it!) - told him no problem, which one do you want to take out - he's says no one likes Diet Pepsi so that one can go.....

Mellow Yellow was a golpher for me to find - at least up here in Seattle hardly any stores carry it - finally found a couple cases at Target of all places.  Loaded the machine, sold about 3 cans a week for 4 weeks and then nada for months - not a single can.  Started getting notes and requests to put Diet Pepsi back in the machine, found out the guy who demanded I put the stuff in there got transferred and no one else had any interest.

Had a rough looking gal at a metal fab shop offer to show me her tata's if I'd stock Diet Mt. Dew (I passed on the Tata's - most of the guys there had already seen em and told me I wasn't missing much)  Diet Mt. Dew sold like 2 cans before it went past date.

Seems like very time I get one of these requests, the requestor claims to be speaking for the group when in reality they are only speaking for themselves - sometimes it works out - had a guy claim that "everyone" at the account wanted me to stock Nutty Buddy bars - I figured he was full of bs, but filled a spiral and damned if it wasn't empty next time I was in there - so I filled two, damn near emptied both of them during the next cycle, so I kept them full and sold the hell out of Nutty Buddies for the next year and a half, then it just stopped - didn't sell a single one for weeks - found out that just one guys was eating 3 or 4 of those a day, every day - and he got fired so that was the end of that.

I hate selling the energy drinks - everyone has a favorite and although I can stock lot's of different options in the bottle drops, never seem to pick the right ones - Monster sells the most reliably for me, NOS, Rckstr not so much - Red Bull is really hit or miss

3 hours ago, ABCVending said:

Yep, been begged, threatened and bribed for product that goes past date before getting consumed. 

Had a 10 selection Vendo stacker that had decent sales - main contact at the account told me I HAD to put in Mellow Yellow (because everyone was clamoring for it!) - told him no problem, which one do you want to take out - he's says no one likes Diet Pepsi so that one can go.....

Mellow Yellow was a golpher for me to find - at least up here in Seattle hardly any stores carry it - finally found a couple cases at Target of all places.  Loaded the machine, sold about 3 cans a week for 4 weeks and then nada for months - not a single can.  Started getting notes and requests to put Diet Pepsi back in the machine, found out the guy who demanded I put the stuff in there got transferred and no one else had any interest.

Had a rough looking gal at a metal fab shop offer to show me her tata's if I'd stock Diet Mt. Dew (I passed on the Tata's - most of the guys there had already seen em and told me I wasn't missing much)  Diet Mt. Dew sold like 2 cans before it went past date.

Seems like very time I get one of these requests, the requestor claims to be speaking for the group when in reality they are only speaking for themselves - sometimes it works out - had a guy claim that "everyone" at the account wanted me to stock Nutty Buddy bars - I figured he was full of bs, but filled a spiral and damned if it wasn't empty next time I was in there - so I filled two, damn near emptied both of them during the next cycle, so I kept them full and sold the hell out of Nutty Buddies for the next year and a half, then it just stopped - didn't sell a single one for weeks - found out that just one guys was eating 3 or 4 of those a day, every day - and he got fired so that was the end of that.

I hate selling the energy drinks - everyone has a favorite and although I can stock lot's of different options in the bottle drops, never seem to pick the right ones - Monster sells the most reliably for me, NOS, Rckstr not so much - Red Bull is really hit or miss

It wasn't a big deal, but I had a girl at a location ask SPECIFICALLY for "spreamint" gum.  As it turned out, she thought "spearmint" was a brand so she got upset when I put Orbit spearmint in there.  She immediately got an attitude and said she wouldn't buy it until I got Wrigley's Spearmint. Thing is, she had an attitude when she requested it and wouldn't specify the brand, acting as if I was dumb for not knowing what "spearmint" was.  So, I ignored her little "threat" to refuse to buy my gum until I put wrigley's in there.  The orbit gum ended up selling decently to everyone else so it didn't matter.

The worst recent request was from a lady at a location that claimed that "everyone" wanted healthy items in the machines.  It turned out that she was on a power trip and just wanted a way to tell me what to do and effectively tell her fellow employees what they should eat [at the vending machines].  I think she got embarrassed in the end because the healthy crap didn't sell well JUST like I told her it wouldn't.  She had a very condescending attitude and I really think she was convinced that her opinion was superior to my 12+ years of experience stocking vending machines.  I wouldn't be surprised if there was more than that (like if she tried to contact other vendors to do healthy) but the location kind of had a quasi-revolt and "demanded" that I go back to how it was before.  I was happy about that, but she hasn't ever contacted me since.

I wasn't the stop's dedicated driver, but 10+ years ago a fellow driver had an account that demanded coke zero in the machine.  In other power-trip situation, this lady (we called her the dog-faced lady) would apparently call the office whenever ANYTHING was sold out of a bottle-drop machine (or even almost sold-out), even if there were adjacent selections of the same product right next to it.  Mind you, there was a stack vendor right next to it as well.  The office got tired of calls and sent me to take over for a little while.  After a couple weeks, dog-face called the office saying that coke-zero was out.  My boss, after trying to belittle me for my "mistake", sent me out of my way to take care of the location.  I get there and low-and-behold NOTHING was sold out whatsoever.  In fact, the reason why she called was because the machine was down to THREE coke zero bottles left and she said it wasn't enough to get them through until the next service.  Thing is, it had been almost a full service cycle and I had only stocked FOUR bottles because I had previously pulled about 6 expired coke-zero bottles from the machine.  In fact, I informed the boss (who had treated me like crap and threw me under the bus) that the location had too many selections and much of the products would expire if you filled them up all the way.  The company eventually just pulled the machines out and canceled the account and we found out that dog-face had gotten fired because her company found out that she was spending much of her time harassing about every contractor that had anything to do with the location.  The way my former employer treated me from this ordeal was one of the reasons why I decided to go into business myself.  The customer isn't always right.

Archived