Drink machine outside business

I just started my vending business and I have a friend that has give me permission to place a drink machine at his job. the only spot that's available is outside the mechanics shop. would a drink machine be ok in the weather like that? I've seen coke machines at walmart outside. just wanted some feedback . thank you for your time. I would have posted this topic to a thread that was already created but I did see one that already existed.... sorry

I have one that does ok, nothing fantastic. There is a lot of foot traffic from apartments being all around. It is also across from a university police station so I have had any issues with vandalism. That being said. I have repaired several that have been broken into & vandalized for other people. It gets expensive quick when they destroy a changer or validator. The other thing I have noticed is if they aren’t protected from the sun the changer & validator fail much quicker. Paint, buttons, signs all fade within a year or two. Upkeep eats up profits in a hurry. 

Well one thing is it’s outside but it’s behide a locked gate/fencing that surrounds the backlot. I don’t believe anyone would bother it. I could be wrong. But on this one I’m less concerned about vandalism. And more about if the drink machine is ok to be left outside. The fading paint/ cosmetic parts I’m really not super concerned about either. it’s going in a mechanic shop that repairs tanker trailers/ box trailers/ ect. And they have approximately 15 people in the office 5 mechanics and 30 truck drivers pull through there to get dhf which is a additive they are required by law to put in there fuel tank before filling up with diesel fuel. It helps with emissions. They are local transporters. The drivers are able to go home every night from what I understand. Very small location vending wise. But I’m wanting to buy a 300-400 pop machine to recoup my investment quickly. Nothing fancy. I’m just adding it to my gumball route.  Is this a worthy location? If I can make 25-30$ a week I’d be happy. I’m just starting out and I need to get some cash flowing.

9 hours ago, livinginthe80z said:

If I can make 25-30$ a week I’d be happy. I’m just starting out and I need to get some cash flowing.

I have two locations that are similar.  One is a fabricator that works with lift gates and stuff of that nature and they easily do $50/week in gross soda sales, but they are located sort of in the middle of nowhere so my sales are exceptional considering they only have about 15 people.  I have another location with concrete mixers and a garage where they work on the trucks regularly.  They probably have anywhere from 10-15 people on-site between 2 buildings (maybe half in the garage where the machines are) and probably another 10+ truck drivers.  That location is a total waste of my time and I don't know why I haven't pulled the machines out already.

My point is that, although asking for $25-$30/week isn't a lot, you might find that you end up totally wasting your time and money with a vending machine at a location the way you describe it.  Hopefully not, but for $300-$400 on a can machine there isn't too much of a risk anyway so why not try.

Archived