idiots jamming stuff into my locks

Starcat

I have a jiffy lube in a bad neighborhood and people are jamming metal things into my locks.. i may have to drill the lock out to replace it, any ideas how you can stop people from jamming stuff into the locks? 

i use an Oak machine with standard locks.

If there is a way to stop it I haven't found it yet. I'll be honest, I am surprised it doesn't happen to my machines more often. If it is consistently happening at one location it may be an employee or a rogue competitor (if one shares the location with you). Kids are usually the culprits using food, candy, gum, pencils or whatever they can find on the floor around the machine. If it continues I would mention it to the manager but I try to keep my complaining to a minimum so he doesn't say "i don't have time to worry about it, just take it with you".

I would suggest carrying a small precision tool kit with you that has small picks, tweezers etc... . I also carry a magnet because that can lift some metal foreign objects  out of the lock if they aren't wedged in too tightly. You can use the tools to loosen up the foreign object then bring in the magnet to pull it out. If it is a single or a double you can take it outside, turn it upside down as you shake and tap the machine to get the item to fall out. Laying it on it's side in the van/trunk while manipulating the foreign  object with a small pick may also be successful. If the item is food like a smashed corn chip, gum, or chocolate you can usually push down hard enough on the key (or tap it down gently with another tool) to pulverize the blockage and get the key to turn. Once the lock is off it is alot easier to thoroughly clean out. Obviously this won't work with metal or hard plastic items.

Unfortunately I have found no silver bullet for the problem but hopefully one of these suggestions help you clear the lock. Maybe someone else has a better idea. if so please share!

yea actually i have a triple head machine at that location and one machine has  something jammed in the lock, and the other wont spin when you put a quarter in it. so that location is trouble. but its a jiffy lube so i definately want it there

Archived