Machine removal 30 days

maestro489

I have a new client in which the old vendor hasn’t moved out. After 30 days isn’t there a law that says the property owner takes legal possession of the vending machine if the vending machine owner has failed to remove the machine. I am in Georgia if that helps. 

Move their machines out of the way and face them towards the wall. Treat them with respect like you would want someone to treat your equipment. That's between the location and the old vendor. Try not to get involved if possible. 

Edited by Anacapa Vending

Is the machine worth being accused of theft? 

A couple months down the road the vendor decides he wants his machine back, I don't know whether a letter from the location would legally absolve you of fault.

The location owner disposing of the machine is different from you taking it and profiting off it by using it at another location.

Edited by Mehehe

I would not touch that machine as it is; but if you are willing to reach out to the other vendor he may prefer to sell it to you vs having to pick it up and store it.  A lot depends on how you got the account away from him to start with as to how he will react if you contact him.  I have picked up accounts that were neglected and the location found me, then contacted the other vendor to discuss the situation and made a fair offer for the equipment that I wanted.  Sometimes you are sparing them a lot of trouble.  On the other hand, if you found the account and offered them a better deal, the old vendor will probably be in no mood to talk.

I waited almost three months to take over a location from the previous vendor, their was no space to move them to the side. As for the law its pretty unclear, I have always let location get ride of the old vendor.

I agree with letting the location handle it.  It's not your problem and COULD be your liability if you mess around with the machines.  Yes, you might be missing an opportunity, but that's no different than missing on an opportunity to take the money from a wallet that's been dropped on the floor.  Is it abandoned?  It might be.. might not be.  Is it yours? No.  Can you find out who it belongs to? Probably.  Would taking it for yourself be stealing? Probably.

I don't think I would mess around with it.. but if the machines are decent, maybe offer something as simple as $500 with a bill of sale to turn the machines over to you.  That way, you get the machines, no theft is involved, and you won't have to move anything.  The only potential downside is that locations often want a change of scenery with a new vendor so, if the vendor agrees to sell the machine, you'll want to let the location know what's going on.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...