Proper way of clamshelling a machine through doors?

Ramsep

Hi, I'm looking at moving 6 machines into a location with 180 employees. There will be one pair of machines (drinks/snacks) going into each of three breakrooms.

The 501e machines are 35" deep, and the door jams are 34" if I remove the doors, 33.5" if I don't. The manager said OK with removing the doors.

I am putting the machines directly from the truck's lift on top of a pallet jack, and obviously the machine's door must be open in order to pass into those rooms.

What's the best sequence? Start on the outside of the room, parallel to the wall on left side of the door, open the machine's door, passing it thru the door, and then start swinging the machine all the way in? Or should I start straight into the door (not sideways)? Should the jack and machine go first, then the door?

With the AP machines the issue (or not) that I see is with the delivery door being in the way.

Any help will be appreciated. 

Thanks.

Since you will be clamshelling all machines, go to a tool rental store and rent a set of piano Dollie. They clamp on each side of the machines and lift machine so you can roll through the doorways. 

If you have never done it before, I would highly recommend hiring professional movers for your install. The machines can easily become unstable while on a pallet jack with door open. The last thing you want do is to possibly damage your clients property if the machine slips and falls or embarrassing yourself if the machine gets stuck in the doorway. 

Thank you for your concerns. I appreciate your words of caution. I have moved plenty of machines on my 12 years of vending experience, but this is the first time I'm doing it thru interior 34" doors. I've seen others doing it, but never paid close attention to the proper sequence.

On the other hand, using the piano movers will make it somewhat easier, but the question remains: since the machine's door must be open, what's the best sequence to get it in there? Door swings in first, then the machine? Even removing the room's door, the space between the machine and the jams is going to be less than an inch on each side.

Thanks.

Don't use a pallet back for either machine.  You need the piano dollies for the soda and a tall 4 wheel dolly for the snack.  I can't believe that you haven't done this in 12 years but you've obviously been paying someone to do it.  You should continue doing that until you have learned how to do it yourself.  The direction of clamshell depends on where your interior walls are and what obstructions may be in the way.  Each one is different.  I can do it in 5-10 minutes per machine but that is 34 years of experience and all the right tools.  You need a liftgate truck, Dutro dolly, 4 wheel dolly, piano dollies and short narrow pallet jack so you have all the possibilities covered.  If you do it wrong you will be paying a dry waller or flooring guy to fix your mistakes.

It is a lot easier with piano movers like cvending suggested, but there is a lot of variables involved. We always try to go machine first followed by the door, but it depends on the layout of the room. Is it a straight shot in the  room? Is there any walls or other obstructions next to the door? Its hard to recommend with knowing the layout. 

There's plenty of room for maneuvers, inside and outside, after moving a few chairs and tables. 

Yes, it sounds like I've never done this thru interior doors, but it is true. I've moved machines thru exterior 36" doors, but not interiors.

It seems that the consensus here is to keep paying the mover until I observe him in detail. At some point we all become self sufficient, and that's exactly what I'm trying to achieve. Regarding the equipment, the only thing missing from the list that AZ gave, is the piano movers and the narrow pallet jack, the one I have is a standard width one.

Thank you all.

I should also add that if you are going through an exterior door that will be the hardest part.  Single exterior doors have thresholds that nothing easily rolls over and those openings often have uneven floor heights, heavy metal doors, door closers, huge doorknobs, weatherstripping, exterior ramps, etc.  They can be a nightmare but then so can some interior doors.  The best exterior doors are double doors but then you have to remove the center post as well.

Then with the right tools it should be easy to put the cabinets through first followed by the doors.  You will actually use the door to continue pushing the machine through at one point.  You didn't say what AP models but all require you to remove the control panel first.  7600s need the panel pushed back into the cabinet and the coin box removed.  113s and 123s, I think, need the control panel removed and the coin box removed.  All APs need the door travel rod removed on the cabinet side and then you have to watch it closely so it doesn't swing back and jam in the opening, bending the rod and making it useless.

Thank you, AZ, that's the answer that I was looking for, with the cabinet first.

The APs are 7600s, and I know that the control panel needs to he pushed in.

I guess is time to start looking into buying the piano movers.

Thank you all!

Brand new at the Anderson website a pair is $479.00, including a set of raisers to be used with the machines that have 6" legs, like snack and food machines, plus free shipping and no sales tax. 

The mover quoted $400 for the six machines. So they almost pay for themselves on this move alone.

It's a no brainer. I just ordered them.

Thank you all.

Archived