First rack setup - Need advice

Candyguy

Hi guys,

I got approval from a restaurant to setup my first rack.  I was looking at buying this setup locally (pictured below) and wanted to get your opinion on the gear.  Since, it's my first rack, I also wanted to get your opinion on what toys/capsules would be a good run on a setup like this and how you would organize it.  I really appreciate your insights and all your help!

vendingrack.jpg

At some point in the future (or now if u have the money) invest in oak/eagle machines with 50 cent mechs and gumball wheels (because u can remove the spacer in an oak/eagle wheel to vend 1" toy capsules, where the gumball wheel in your northwestern will only vend gum and bouncy balls  26-27mm or less and the toy wheel is a completely different part and using it with gumballs it will vend 2 each time). Having 50 cent toys on the bottom will make a huge difference in your profits.

Question: what did u and the restaurant agree to as far as commission?

7 minutes ago, Zigzag Vending said:

At some point in the future (or now if u have the money) invest in oak/eagle machines with 50 cent mechs and gumball wheels (because u can remove the spacer in an oak/eagle wheel to vend 1" toy capsules, where the gumball wheel in your northwestern will only vend gum and bouncy balls  26-27mm or less and the toy wheel is a completely different part and using it with gumballs it will vend 2 each time). Having 50 cent toys on the bottom will make a huge difference in your profits.

Thanks for the tips.  We agreed on a 20% commission.  I didn't think that was too bad?

9 hours ago, Zigzag Vending said:

Absolutely agree. 

Looks like one of my old racks! 😁

That's a Northwestern setup on a sentinel stand from the looks of it. Very good stuff in my opinion, though I built my business on Northwestern so I may be a little biased.

So, you've got on top:
NW80 with a 38mm wheel, which is kinda rare. You might check to see if that's a fixed wheel, or if it's using an insert for that.
NW80 with a standard 45mm wheel
NW Sticker Machine
NW80 with a standard 45mm wheel

On the bottom you've got:
2 NW60's with candy wheels
2 NW60's with capsule wheels
1 NW60 with a 27mm wheel

Were it me, and I wasn't in a position to change any pricing/wheels...
38mm balls in the first NW80. At 50 cents they still sell pretty well. Depends on where you are to get the best deal on shipping, as that's your biggest pricing factor in the world of BB's. They all come from China, and with only a few outliers are all about the same.

Some sort of popular capped toys for the 75 cent machine. My go-to for higher price vends are usually jewelry items, knockoff legos, or the venerable yo-yo ball. At the moment, THIS is what I'd run for 75 cents, but there's lots on the market, and don't be afraid to shop around, especially if you've got suppliers closer to you.

For the sticker machine I'd run stickers if you're in a colder climate, tattoos if it's warmer. Styles come and go rapidly, so I'd make one column a "mix" column right after you get started with it so you only have to recycle "one" product. Some photo editing software, or even just some scissors, glue, and a card of the same size will allow you to make a "mix" display card pretty easily later on. I only mention this as if it saves you from the inventory mess I had when I first stared with flat items, it's worth it.

The last one is a 50 cent item machine. For this, I'd reach out to A&A and get the product "TREAC25" and run that straight. Get the display card, as it's an invaluable piece for when you need to blow out junk in a hurry. Every order is composed of a balanced mix of A&A's huge catalog of on-the-way-out items, so there's still some cool stuff in there with a lot of little items to keep costs down. You really only need a junk mix like this when you're getting started (or need to cheaply fill a head or complete an order), as when you start to operate your business and start to buy new products, you'll naturally accrue a supply of "junk" items so you won't need to buy it anymore.

For the bottom, Skittles and Mike and Ikes for candy. Long shelf life, good value, good sellers.

Cap toys of the 1.1" acorn cap variety are a bit more tricky, as they vary a bit more from spot to spot. At a quarter, you'll want to aim lower. Were it me, I'd get THIS and THIS as they've both been very good to me over the years. You may wish to shop around a bit, but do keep an eye on those margins- there's not much meat on the bone at 25 cents these days!

Finally, that 27mm product head. Typically, I'd say run gum, but if that's out and you've already got BB's in the upper machine, I'd reach out to the guys at Brand in Arizona. Brand is very proud of their round 1" caps that run through the 27mm wheels just fine. Their biggest issue, in my opinion, is supply- every time I've ever reached out to them they've had very little stock ready to ship, but that's more because they sell so much of it to the big operators (or so I've been told). Pretty much anything Squishland will sell good in my experience. Protip, make sure the card and product are both in stock when/if you order.

Depending on how the setup runs for you, I'd look into upgrading mechs to 50 cents on your toys (so you can run jewelry mixes and higher-tier junk) and get your upper machines to 75 cents/$1 so you can run premium items and get the most money for your vends. The sticker machine is probably fine as-is. The only oddball is that weird 38mm NW80 on the end, hard to say what to do with that one, as it really depends on how the wheel is set up.

If you need further help, assistance, guidance, or insight, say the word. Good luck sir!

Archived