Women in the Healthy Vending Biz

Rpdelta8

I am interested in getting into the healthy vending business and wondered if there are any women vendors out there and if you feel it’s more difficult to get a contract than it would be if you were a man. Also can folks in general comment on healthy vending their experience with the healthy vending segment?

1 hour ago, Rpdelta8 said:

I am interested in getting into the healthy vending business and wondered if there are any women vendors out there and if you feel it’s more difficult to get a contract than it would be if you were a man. Also can folks in general comment on healthy vending their experience with the healthy vending segment?

Healthy vending is a poor performing niche compared to regular products.

You will fill your machines with products, they will not sell, and go stale.  If you are smart, you will then fill you machines with chips, candy bars, and fattening pastries. They will sell and you will be happy. If you are not smart, you will continue to fill you machines with healthy products until you go out of business. The someone on this site will buy your machines for 20% of what you paid. If it is an AMS, 35%.

They will be happy, you will be broke.

No one is sitting at their desk with a craving for granola bars. Snickers and M&Ms on the other hand...

Funny that I just popped in here for the first time in months and see this thread😀. I bought my business from another woman, with locations already secured, but I’ve had no problems getting new contracts.  And contrary to what everyone else here says, I’ve had nothing but success with the healthy vending segment.  I’ve been in business 2.5 yrs and my machines are in YMCAs and schools.  I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have few "healthy naturals" machines which I bought for a friction of the new price because people had healthy vending concept.. and feiled unfortinutly.. I also run my own espresso stand and when people come for a treat they want a treat.. that means sugar calories coffeine and fat..simple as that..

If I ware you, I would leave 2 snack rows for healthy choice~bela vita from costco,nuts again from cosco, and maybe green granola bars again from costco because that is the best value for the money.. Rest I would fill up with snickers m&ms etc.. soda pick and choose..no orange juices etc..That is my sucesfull recepie.. People will hasatate to spend more than 2 dollars per Item in vending machine.. but yet some of them will complain..I stoped listening to ones who are stingy and on top of that complain.. "majority determines the rulles"..and most people will be happy because they are happy people to begin with..Good luck

On 2/19/2019 at 10:30 PM, taysha said:

Funny that I just popped in here for the first time in months and see this thread😀. I bought my business from another woman, with locations already secured, but I’ve had no problems getting new contracts.  And contrary to what everyone else here says, I’ve had nothing but success with the healthy vending segment.  I’ve been in business 2.5 yrs and my machines are in YMCAs and schools.  I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.  

Healthy does great in places like that with requirements for healthy and a captive audience. But outside of that it doesn't work, people in an office have cars and are willing to drive to the nearest gas station to get their fix.

That's not to say that you can't have anything healthy in the machine, but they should only be there if they sell. Usually stuff like peanuts, pretzels, and beef jerky do ok. Depends on location.

There has been some shifting in purchasing over the last few years, and the selection of better for you type products is improving also.  I do find that many items marketed as healthy are not any better than a bag of plain chips if you read the nutrition panel, but perception is reality for most people... My better locations with nice looking large machines and credit card readers are starting to move some more of the higher price point items, like clif bars, but it's still a struggle to source and manage good healthy items, and they require more frequent rotation of products as people tire of the same item quickly.   Meeting the widest amount of customer demand results in the best sales volume.  Pleasing the location management results in keeping the location.  Doing both at the same time can be quite a juggling act!

Archived