AP 213 Help

cvending

I have an AP 213 FD coffee that has begun to act up.   First call to machine I found display reading "Out of Order".  M22   Bucket was full, creamer motor ran in filled trough with creamer.  When I powered down and back up- on of the whipper motors ran and error changed to M20. On next power cycle the error changed to "M16" which calls to a master reset.  I did that and is last 3 days.  Upon arrival today we found the cream motor had run over again, the bucket was filled. The display no longer scrolled the stand-by message but flashed different parts of the message off and on.  I replaced the control board with a fresh board but when powered up, the message will scroll through one time the starts to flash parts of the message again.  Any ideas what might cause this?

I changed the logic board this AM. Will have to wait and see as the last time I thought I had it fixed it lasted a couple days before going down again. Another issue that I forgot to report that each time it goes Out of Service, one of the water valve solenoids swell up and looks as though the red acrylic melts.  I have had it happen each time. Once to the coffee valve, twice to the tea valve.  As of tonight all is well.

The motor control board you replaced should take care of that problem. The relays are sticking causing the solenoid to stay powered and eventually melting the casing. It was giving you the full bucket issue. We change a lot of motor control boards. They are definitely showing their age. 

I am still leaning towards another bad motor control board. Its a pretty simple system. Signal from the logic board to MCB, voltage from MCB to water valves. How does the wiring look from the MCB to the water valves? You might also pull the MCB off and check the front and back for any burnt spots or loose components. I am going to run this problem across the other techs in my branch tomorrow and see if they have any other ideas.

You might have a bad ground on one of your harnesses that prevents the driver board from turning a relay off.  We used to rebuild 213s for the BEP here in Phoenix and a rebuild would include the complete heater harness, new heaters and seals, rebuild all valves, rebuild all whippers and install new o-rings, etc.  There is a ground from the heater harness and a couple of others in the machine that must be grounded and they all go to one stud on the cabinet back wall.  Not only is M20 a water bucket error but it can also mean you have poor power to the machine from the wall.  Check your wall voltage and polarity and for a clean ground.  If the machine ever went cold you probably have a valve or heater that is leaking.  You might need to remove the heater cover to see it.  Water running down to a heater will short the machine out.

This could also be a overheating condition which could fill the bucket and cause M20.  Did you have a full bucket?  M02 is low water.  Did your tank go low?  

AZ, thanks for your insight. When the problem first occurred we did get a full bucket. Of course that turned off the heater and inlet valve. When the water cooled and contracted it did not leak around heater or valves. I will check out the ground today.

Wheel, it is a fresh motor control board rebuilt by VE. Of course that could still be a possibility.

Any luck with your coffee machine? Sorry I haven't got back to you earlier. I have been on call and covering for another tech on vacation this week and have been slammed with service calls. The other techs I checked with said either a bad MCB or check your power and grounds like AZVendor suggested. 

It seems to be working fine now. Checked my grounds as AZ suggested. Only issue was that someone apparently replaced a water valve with one from a National machine. There was no ground terminal on the valve itself. Maybe that was it?

Archived