Light-weight Wooden Honor Snack Box

Savemyworld

Greetings all!

I'd like to take a poll----

If my organization, Save My World, offered light weight wooden honor snack boxes, would you have interested in purchasing if the price was right with great features and benefits for snack items?

Please respond if you would give consideration to purchasing a light weight wooden honor snack box. We're currently working on the design and dimensions for the wooden honor snack box.

On another note-----

I have to give much credit to Rodney at Vending Locator 4 U.  We've ordered a good number of locations for our honor snack boxes and the quality of the locations and the service provided by Vending Locator 4 U has been the most trusting, outstanding, locating service.  The secret to getting ahead in the honor snack box biz is self locating while at the same time having a reputable, trustworthy, locating organization.  Give Vending Locator 4 U a shot, you won't be disappointed. They'll get you into some prime honor box locations that most people wouldn't be able to get into!

We look forward to receiving feedback on a lightweight wooden honor snack box. In the meantime, picture in your mind an honor snack box, just made out of light weight wood readily available when you need it. 

Wooden honor boxes have been discussed multiple times on here and all have ended the same.  I tried a couple prototypes myself and decided they were too heavy and expensive with hinges, hasp and lock.

Honestly, I am curious what you come up with.  I would love to see your prototypes.

My thoughts...

-Solid wood would probably end up too heavy unless you use Pine but would look great.

-Plywood has so many voids that painting would be a pain but would be cheap.

-Press boards (Particle Board, MDF, OSB) very likely to break if dropped and very likely heavy, but easy to paint.

Good luck!

I like the enthusiasm, but realistically, a wooden honor box would be a waste of time.  A wooden box will be much heavier, bulkier, more awkward to carry, clumsy to stack in your vehicle, and too expensive.  The beauty of the Honor Snack business is the ability to service a GREAT number of small accounts with very little overhead.  The idea of a wooden box would not be very cost effective for a start-up business.  It also would not be profitable for YOU, because there would not be enough demand for it.

You need to understand that for the average honor box start-up and/or veteran, replacing a cardboard box with a wooden box is not an earth-shattering concern for them.  The primary focus should be on Placing New Accounts, Servicing your Existing Accounts on a Schedule, Working your Shortages, Rotating Inventory and Menus, Keeping your Expenses in Check.  Buying 50 wooden boxes puts WAY TOO MUCH overhead costs on a small honor box business with very little return on investment.  

The best way to help small businesses is to be successful with your own honor snack business and then share that experience and wisdom with others.  I have been in this industry for 25 years and have watched ideas for "improving" the honor system come and go.  I've seen wooden honor boxes, plastic honor boxes, boxes with locks, boxes with mechs that open once money has been inserted, and ALL of them are gone.  The cardboard box is just way more practical and cost effective for this industry.  It is inexpensive, durable, and easy to handle and pack.  Why "reinvent the wheel" only to make it heavier and more costly.  Sink your energy and enthusiasm into your honor snack business and share the success stories.  THAT will have a more positive impact on the industry.  TRUST ME! Just my 2 cents.  :) 

Feedback is great but business is never a once size fit all approach either. What works in one market may not in another. What worked for 20 years may not work next year. The key is to alaways better our product, our service, and our industry. That's the joy of the forum.

1 hour ago, Savemyworld said:

In some of my solid locations they actually want more than a cardboard snack box that's customized to their needs so just giving it the try maybe a durable three shelve counter stand for that market 

What if you design the wooden box so to insert the cardboard box in. Leave the wooden box .You my be able to incorporate a cash box to it.

2 hours ago, Savemyworld said:

Thanks Flintflash don't tell this to an engineer whose trying to make the wooden box as durable as paper!!! This is the fun of what we're trying to accomplish hasn't been done is the interesting challenging part.

Feedback is great but business is never a once size fit all approach either. What works in one market may not in another. What worked for 20 years may not work next year. The key is to alaways better our product, our service, and our industry. That's the joy of the forum.

I also run two other businesses so many of the characteristics from my other businesses get me excited about the possibilities in snack vending biz.

I'm just looking out for your best interest and that of my fellow forum members.  I would hate to see you waste your money, time and effort on an idea that is not necessary nor is there a demand for it.  Feel free to pursue it.  I am just sharing my years of experience with you.  You'll do what you want to do, but you asked for feedback.  Just ask yourself if a wooden snack tray is going to make a huge impact on the 50 accounts that you service.  If THAT is what you think your business needs to "move to the next level", You're probably not going to last long.  I don't mean to be so blunt, but that's me being straight up and honest with you.  If you're trying to make a quick buck off the folks on this forum, then I am here to be their voice of reason.  Again, just my 2 cents.  :) 

Trying to tell veteran honor box vendors that there is a better box after they have tried them all from cardboard to plastic is foolish.  Your only market will be vendors who have no experience yet.

14 hours ago, Savemyworld said:

Several of my locations have request other than the cardbox snack box. I totally agree that there are already awesome cardboard snack boxes.

If this is what you want to pursue for your own Honor Snack business, good luck and God Bless.  More power to ya'!  But why don't you pursue your idea first and THEN share the excitement and results with the community.  I don't want to see other small honor snack businesses fail, even though YOU are prepared to fail (which I understand is how we learn and move forward).  

Even experts though the Titanic was unsinkable.

Don't really understand THIS comparison.  No one is claiming that ANYTHING is unsinkable (or the perfect solution).  What I am explaining is that your idea is NOT new, it's been tried with no success.  It would be more like Coca-Cola trying to reintroduce New Coke again, only hoping it didn't fail this time.  I'm sure the "Experts" would say "Sorry, No.  Been there, done that!"

13 hours ago, Savemyworld said:

I'm at 100 locations and counting but I want to leave my light weight wooden boxes on location open my keycoin box and take the proceeds. I'm having an engineer see how a credit card processing box can be added to my light weight wooden snack box

13 hours ago, Savemyworld said:

Then I just take my rolling cart on wheels and refill my boxes instead of carrying so many darn boxes 

If your would like TRUE, HONEST, CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK, I would be more than happy to share.  I could save you a TON of money and heartache regarding these two ideas.  

I have always believed in everything I do in life professionally and personally there is always room for further greatness. I back that with 20 years of education and experience respectfully.

I would think that with your business education and experience, that you would see that the Card Reader idea would NEVER pan out.  It just the simple rule of ROI, Return on Investment.  An average Honor box will generate roughly $20 per service.  Once shortage and inventory costs are figured, you may be looking at $9-10 GROSS Profit.  Now, a card reader will run you between $250-300, PLUS a monthly service fee, let's say $8 (they can be anywhere from $5-12/month).  You ALSO have the 3-4% of sales that you have to give the credit processing.  An honor box simply could NOT sustain the expense.  And all this BEFORE you even get to the real "nuts and bolts" expenses.

Again, the BEAUTY of the Honor Snack industry is it's SIMPLISTIC service concept and it's LOW investment (no equipment).  You see...I am running the everyday Luxury Steamliner and YOU are building the TITANIC.  I am only trying to point out the 500 Icebergs that are in your way.

Aayyeee!!!! The possibilities

More like " Ay Caramba!"  But seriously, I would be happy to give feedback that will greatly help you and your Honor Snack business.  Please feel free to message me any time.  

Just my 2 cents!  :)

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:43 PM, Savemyworld said:

My approach is for those locations that don't want a paper backrd snack box I'm ok failing that's the only way ive succeded in life.

I have only been doing this 4 years, but in the 4 years, I have never once has someone tell me they would rather have something better than a cardboard box.  The question I have been asked is if I had the full line vending machines.  As long as your card board boxes are in good shape and nicely designed, I don't see businesses wanting anything more.  They like to keep it simple as do most of the honor snack box people I talk to on here, which is the exact reason most of us got into this business in the first place.

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 9:39 AM, flintflash said:

... the BEAUTY of the Honor Snack industry is it's SIMPLISTIC service concept and it's LOW investment (no equipment)...

Yep, no need to re-invent the wheel from they way I see it. Cardboard boxes are very cheap, and they work well. Cardboard boxes are also real light and won't gouge your car seats, scuff things, break if you drop them, or give ppl splinters.

I've made some minor tweaks to my Cameron boxes that I really iike over my time doing snack boxes, but the main reason I use them is that they are under $4 each (even with the slight mods and name badging I put on them), and they work well and look good. I can replace them cheap and easily when auto places get grease on them or if they begin to look ragged. Heck, I even balked at the idea of spending roughly $10 each (plus cash box) on plastic snap boxes from hardware stores for the semi-outdoor locations where dust or mice might be a problem. I like the simplicity and speed and low cost of cardboard ones that much.

Obvious pros of snack boxes is low start up cost, simplicity of locating and re-locating, fast change-outs, no equipment (dolly, truck or van, machines, etc).

Obvious cons are theft %, lower volume per location, serious pricing limitations (no change or cards).

...it seems to me that due to low volume and theft % of snack boxes, you have to really keep costs minimal on your supplies (boxes, marketing materials and website, etc). Your price and the quality of candy and snack that you deliver for that price are your selling points, so you sure don't want to compromise there. You will get more return if you put more money into your snacks or your marketing; the boxes just need to be passable and functional.

Also, remember, you are probably going to need at least 50% more boxes than you have locations. That is in order to always have some ready for new locations and assuming you want to go in to existing locations and do a quick and smooth switch (greet the biz staff, drop off a full box, and take away the prior box... which lets you do exchanges in two minutes, tops), so keep it cheap and consistent with your boxes. JMO

Archived