Plastic snap-shut cases for snack box (not what you think)

FlyGuy

No, I'm not talking about the acrylic lollipop ones... I'm looking for real plastic snack boxes with a snap lid. I didn't find it in a search at all.  

This would be only for semi-outdoor locations, such as open-air mechanic shops, workshops, warehouses, or other industrial places... and any places where mouse issues might be a problem in warm weather. Sorta like this idea:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/honorsnack/services/

I never really considered this concept before since the box cost would be more and I do fine with my simple cardboard boxes, but one biz owner I marketed to recently mentioned mice as an issue with a past vending service they'd tried and cancelled. I had never run into this issue in hundreds and hundreds of location calls (I do all my own box placements).

...The plastic snack box would need a cash box (and I hate the idea of a separate cash box beside it), so I was thinking to use one of its inner compartments, probably center, for the cash slot and my logo (which means even less space for snacks, though).

These two links below (and pic attached) would be the best potential I've found with limited scanning, and they're still 3-4x as costly as a regular cardboard small snack box. My thinking is that the less frills (clasp parts, hinges, etc) the better... less stuff to break. I might check ebay or alibaba or amazon, but I don't like to buy these kind of things sight unseen... and I think shipping might negate any savings buying online could give.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tough-Box-Large-Sorter-16-Compartment-Plastic-Small-Parts-Organizer/1000365905

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-in-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485

If anyone does this sort of plastic dust/mouse-proof snack box with success, I'd be interested to hear. Can you fit much for snacks into it? Does it allow you to get some new accounts you otherwise couldn't? My initial thinking was that those locations are probably not ideal anyways, but you never know until you try. Some locations I though would be slow or high theft have been amazing for me, and vice versa, over my time doing this.  

I have plenty of room to expand, and I currently have about 2-4 locations on every commercial mile stretch nearby. I was hoping these tougher boxes for select locations might help me maybe get to 3-5 per mile strip by re-trying some locations I'd passed over in the past. I am only part-time, so I like to keep my locations tight for a real fast route. Thanks :)

plastic divider box.jpg

Most places would have a back room that the box could go.  If its too "outdoor" how much supervision will it actually have?  I would be more worried about theft than the box getting wet...

Honestly none of those look deep enough for a bag of chips.  what about these?

Sterilite® Clearview Latch⢠15 Quart Clear Storage Bin

https://www.menards.com/main/storage-organization/storage-totes-bins/storage-totes/sterilite-reg-clearview-latch-trade-15-quart-clear-storage-bin/17531712/p-1444444112788-c-12667.htm?tid=-8326287673681453706&ipos=38

Interior Depth is about 6" which would be tall enough for bags of chips to sit upright.  You would just have to figure out the cash box portion.

This entire idea just seems like its not worth the effort for the handful of locations you would need these for...

Good feedback. I am finding that same that some businesses that have already had honor snack boxes in the past are willing to give it a second try but they do want an upgrade for the cardboard snack box. So it has been a worthy discussion looking at other snack box alternatives that aren't costly in the long run.

21 hours ago, FlyGuy said:

No, I'm not talking about the acrylic lollipop ones... I'm looking for real plastic snack boxes with a snap lid. I didn't find it in a search at all.  

This would be only for semi-outdoor locations, such as open-air mechanic shops, workshops, warehouses, or other industrial places... and any places where mouse issues might be a problem in warm weather. Sorta like this idea:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/honorsnack/services/

I never really considered this concept before since the box cost would be more and I do fine with my simple cardboard boxes, but one biz owner I marketed to recently mentioned mice as an issue with a past vending service they'd tried and cancelled. I had never run into this issue in hundreds and hundreds of location calls (I do all my own box placements).

...The plastic snack box would need a cash box (and I hate the idea of a separate cash box beside it), so I was thinking to use one of its inner compartments, probably center, for the cash slot and my logo (which means even less space for snacks, though).

These two links below (and pic attached) would be the best potential I've found with limited scanning, and they're still 3-4x as costly as a regular cardboard small snack box. My thinking is that the less frills (clasp parts, hinges, etc) the better... less stuff to break. I might check ebay or alibaba or amazon, but I don't like to buy these kind of things sight unseen... and I think shipping might negate any savings buying online could give.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tough-Box-Large-Sorter-16-Compartment-Plastic-Small-Parts-Organizer/1000365905

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-15-Compartment-Interlocking-Small-Parts-Organizer-in-Black-2-Pack-320034/204515485

If anyone does this sort of plastic dust/mouse-proof snack box with success, I'd be interested to hear. Can you fit much for snacks into it? Does it allow you to get some new accounts you otherwise couldn't? My initial thinking was that those locations are probably not ideal anyways, but you never know until you try. Some locations I though would be slow or high theft have been amazing for me, and vice versa, over my time doing this.  

I have plenty of room to expand, and I currently have about 2-4 locations on every commercial mile stretch nearby. I was hoping these tougher boxes for select locations might help me maybe get to 3-5 per mile strip by re-trying some locations I'd passed over in the past. I am only part-time, so I like to keep my locations tight for a real fast route. Thanks :)

plastic divider box.jpg

A couple of issues with this option.  1. is the cost, but more importantly 2.  the size.  This box from Home Depot or Lowes does not look deep enough to hold your product.  The candy bars are too tall and you can't close the lid.  If you leave the lid open, then you are defeating the purpose of the plastic tray for mouse issues.  Mehehe is correct.  Purchase a plastic box to place your snack tray into for protection from mice.  It's WAY cheaper and you shouldn't really need many.  We also have accounts that will place boxes in refrigerators or in cabinets to protect them.  In 2 months, mice won't be a real issue since they will go back outside once it warms.

2 hours ago, Savemyworld said:

Good feedback. I am finding that same that some businesses that have already had honor snack boxes in the past are willing to give it a second try but they do want an upgrade for the cardboard snack box. So it has been a worthy discussion looking at other snack box alternatives that aren't costly in the long run.

It's bizarre that this is an issue.  I can HONESTLY say that in 25 years of being in the Honor Snack business, we have never had a customer EVER ask for something different than our box.  You must be in some extreme upscale area like Beverly Hills or Hollywood or something that people would even have an issue with a cardboard box.  Personally, I would avoid them.  My experience has been that the "Picky-er" the customer, the less likely they will pay.  That's just the trends that I have experienced.  Best of luck to you!  :) 

If you're in the honor snack box biz and you have our own snack box that you use or that is other than cardboard please share. I've seen a few on the forum that do their own thing on snack box set ups. I'm sure cardboard snack boxes are the way to go. No debate there just interested in what's creatively out there.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, Mehehe said:

Most places would have a back room that the box could go.  If its too "outdoor" how much supervision will it actually have?  I would be more worried about theft ...

...This entire idea just seems like its not worth the effort for the handful of locations you would need these for...

For sure. It's very possible that this ends up being more trouble than it is worth. That is why I was asking, though. The only snack place trying this which I'd run across is the one in the FB link in orig post.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, Mehehe said:

...Honestly none of those look deep enough for a bag of chips...

... Depth is about 6" which would be tall enough for bags of chips to sit upright...

I actually don't do chips. I do a few Veg Straws and Cheez-It and Cracker Jack sometimes, but no chips. Veggie straws sell well and don't cost much, but they take up massive space in the box. Avoiding chips lets me have less expired snacks since they have poor shelf life relative to most snacks (I'm part time with just one route day weekly and relatively few locations), avoids grease marks on my boxes, and keeps the box healthier overall from a locating standpoint. The main reason for no chips is much less space in my house and car and the snack boxes... no chips lets me pack 70-75 snacks in a Cameron box fairly easily.

The Menards link was awesome, thanks! I forgot about them since relatively few in my area. They have the same boxes as Lowes but with different branding (Stanley instead of TuffBox, pic attached), and I was able to get a few for $8.50 each out the door after rebate. Still over double what a Cameron white box costs, but maybe it will get my snacks to a few accounts I couldn't get otherwise. That might be worth it, especially if those accounts are right near my house and/or other locations. They are 17x13x3.5in plastic trays, so we will see how it works. I will post a pic of a loaded up plastic box with logos and cash box and snacks when I get a chance.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:50 AM, flintflash said:

A couple of issues with this option.  1. is the cost, but more importantly 2.  the size.  This box from Home Depot or Lowes does not look deep enough to hold your product.  The candy bars are too tall and you can't close the lid.  If you leave the lid open, then you are defeating the purpose of the plastic tray for mouse issues.  Mehehe is correct.  Purchase a plastic box to place your snack tray into for protection from mice.  It's WAY cheaper and you shouldn't really need many.  We also have accounts that will place boxes in refrigerators or in cabinets to protect them.  In 2 months, mice won't be a real issue since they will go back outside once it warms...

Definitely a good point about asking accounts to put the snack box in a cabinet or fridge. If any of mine ever have a mouse problem or mention a past problem, I will probably spin that idea... even if I give them a plastic one.

The candy bars and other snacks will be laid down and stacked, so I will see how many I can fit. I'm sure it won't be 70+ snacks like my regular boxes, but I will report back once I find out. I'm all about the cardboard boxes and keeping it simple and effective, but I just am trying to solve one of the few shortcomings I've ever found with cardboard boxes. Between the increased box cost and decreased size, it may or may not pan out. Don't know until ya try, I guess :)

stanley.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:50 AM, flintflash said:

A couple of issues with this option.  1. is the cost, but more importantly 2.  the size.  This box from Home Depot or Lowes does not look deep enough to hold your product.  The candy bars are too tall and you can't close the lid.  If you leave the lid open, then you are defeating the purpose of the plastic tray for mouse issues.  Mehehe is correct.  Purchase a plastic box to place your snack tray into for protection from mice.  It's WAY cheaper and you shouldn't really need many.  We also have accounts that will place boxes in refrigerators or in cabinets to protect them.  In 2 months, mice won't be a real issue since they will go back outside once it warms.

It's bizarre that this is an issue.  I can HONESTLY say that in 25 years of being in the Honor Snack business, we have never had a customer EVER ask for something different than our box.  You must be in some extreme upscale area like Beverly Hills or Hollywood or something that people would even have an issue with a cardboard box.  Personally, I would avoid them.  My experience has been that the "Picky-er" the customer, the less likely they will pay.  That's just the trends that I have experienced.  Best of luck to you!  :) 

I have several places that have mice problems.  My solution to that is buying containers from Walmart and the problem is solved without changing from the cardboard boxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Update with prototype plastic snack box is pictured below. The plastic one fits 60 snacks: 38 dollar items (2 cheez it, 4 cookies, 15 candy, 5 crackers, 5 trail mix, 3 fruit snack, 2 oat bars, 1 trail mix bar, 2 nutri grain) and 22 half dollar ones (4 reeses single, 4 fun size candy, 6 slim jim, 6 peanuts, 2 gum). I tried to keep it as close as possible to my standard cardboard box that you can see in the left side of last attached pic (73 items:  50 dollar 23 half dollar).

I can post more pics of the plastic ones when I put logos and cash area cover onto it (cash area will be two squares in middle, covered with a cardboard logo piece approx. 4x6in), but for now, you get the jist of things.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:08 AM, jerrybrooksvendall said:

Just a quick question if you were to change over on some locations, where would you put the cash box? How about your charity affiliation sticker? Where would you put your company information? Telephone number, company name, etc?

I hope not to change over any locations since the plastic boxes are more expensive. They will just be an alternative for any new locations that have that dust/mice objection.

No charity affiliation for me; I find it phony and unnecessary... good product and service sells itself in my experience. Box logo cards would go on the outside (clear lid) of the plastic box and on the cardboard piece that will be cash slot/cover, which would be the two square middle sections.

DSCN3566a.jpg

DSCN3567a.jpg

DSCN3568a.jpg

Archived