DarthNoFace

I am getting into the business

I am looking at getting into the vending business, especially the soda/can business.

I started with looking into healthy type vending and then found big soda.

Big soda looked way better on ROI.

I have been in contact with the big brands and they'll say they will let me place and run their machines and that they will provide and deliver them as well as maintain them, in exchange I have to buy xx+ cases a month per machine, stock the machines and collect the money.

Is this a good way to go?

At first glance, it was like shoot!  I don't have to pay for the machines?!  Wahoo!

But now I am thinking these things have ups and downs, will I be drowning in soda?

I bought 2 sights with big soda owned machines off of a guy and granted it is cold but they are each doing like 2 cases a week, which is below the quota (but it is cold here now) I was told in summer it picks up (makes sense).

If you are currently doing this, would you recommend it?

All the soda brands in my area say I can put a card reader if I ask them first but they won't include one.

What brand of reader/provider do you recommend?

Big soda seems to use USA Tech.

So in short 2 questions:

1. selling soda with a quota for the big boys is it a good way to start?

2. Card readers, recommendations.

I would like a mentor.

Thank you for your help!

Any advice?

2 hours ago, DarthNoFace said:

I am looking at getting into the vending business, especially the soda/can business.

I started with looking into healthy type vending and then found big soda.

Big soda looked way better on ROI.

I have been in contact with the big brands and they'll say they will let me place and run their machines and that they will provide and deliver them as well as maintain them, in exchange I have to buy xx+ cases a month per machine, stock the machines and collect the money.

Is this a good way to go?

At first glance, it was like shoot!  I don't have to pay for the machines?!  Wahoo!

But now I am thinking these things have ups and downs, will I be drowning in soda?

I bought 2 sights with big soda owned machines off of a guy and granted it is cold but they are each doing like 2 cases a week, which is below the quota (but it is cold here now) I was told in summer it picks up (makes sense).

If you are currently doing this, would you recommend it?

All the soda brands in my area say I can put a card reader if I ask them first but they won't include one.

What brand of reader/provider do you recommend?

Big soda seems to use USA Tech.

So in short 2 questions:

1. selling soda with a quota for the big boys is it a good way to start?

2. Card readers, recommendations.

I would like a mentor.

Thank you for your help!

Any advice?

Aside from the monthly quotas they stick you with, you'll also be paying about 15% more for your product than the club;s like Sam;s and Costco.  Most of the soda bottlers will only deliver to business locations so unless you already have one, it might be cheaper just to go out and buy a couple of good used machines - avoid the glassfronts as they don't hold much and are a PITA to fix,  Most canned soda has a ten month shelf life so you can stretch those quota numbers a bit.  Just remember, sooner or later you'll end up buying some of your own machines as each freebie you get from the bottlers will increase your quota.  You generally need really good accounts to cover the quotas - two cases a month won't get it (or make much money)

Another thing to consider is that the bottlers will want their product in the machine which means you can't have Pepsi or 7 up in a Coke machine.  If you end up with a 7 up machine it gets way worse.  You'll find this to be very restricting in your product variety.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, moondog said:

Aside from the monthly quotas they stick you with, you'll also be paying about 15% more for your product than the club;s like Sam;s and Costco.  Most of the soda bottlers will only deliver to business locations so unless you already have one, it might be cheaper just to go out and buy a couple of good used machines - avoid the glassfronts as they don't hold much and are a PITA to fix,  Most canned soda has a ten month shelf life so you can stretch those quota numbers a bit.  Just remember, sooner or later you'll end up buying some of your own machines as each freebie you get from the bottlers will increase your quota.  You generally need really good accounts to cover the quotas - two cases a month won't get it (or make much money)

My locations are slow but it is 2 cases a week, not a month ^_^

I am down with buying machines I just wanted to get in as fast and for as little as possible.

Do you use a cashless system?

Thanks for the advice Moondog! 

I don't use cashless systems myself but do think that they are a great idea in the right setting - meaning the under thirty crowd or office locations.  Eight cases a month in the winter is not all that terrible but I'm sure you get the idea about eventually owning your machines at least to cover the quota if that's the way you go.  My best location does about $500 a month in sodas alone but I get the feeling that most of the people there don't even have a credit card so I'm sticking with cash.  Blue collar locations tend to be like that.  If I were to pay an extra %15 for product I would easily own the machines outright in less than a year.

• Like 1

Thanks, Moondog!

I want to build an empire so these two machines better start doing better than 2 cases a week each!

They have been on site for 9 years so the client is happy, the machines are old though.

Good point Moondog.

As I build up I will buy my own :)

• Like 1