Compressor is Loud - DN5591

fhamann

I recently purchased a DN5591 bottle drop drink machine.  It works fine and cools down quick.  The compressor cycles on and off as it should and properly controls the temperature.  There is no ice on the evaporator.  The compressor deck looks clean and fairly new, probably not the original.  The problem is that when the compressor runs, it sounds too loud, like a small motor cycle.  What can cause this?  How can it be fixed?

Regards,
Frank

Orange, CA

It might be a bad fan motor.  Unplug the machine and get behind it.  Firmly hold one fan blade to keep it from turning and plug the machine in.  If the compressor runs with no noise then that fan motor should be replaced.  Turn the machine off before releasing the blade (safety warning).  If you have two fan motors then you may need to repeat with the other motor.  DO NOT grab the fan while it's running.  You can only safely do that when the machine is off.  The motor is not strong enough to rip the blade from your hand but if there are two fans then stay away from the running blade.  Remember they are a blur when running.  If neither fan stops your noise then you have a noisy compressor or it has set up a harmonic vibration.  You can loosen the hold down bolts and shove cardboard under the condensing base then bolt it down to quiet some vibrations.  Internal noise from a compressor could mean the rotor is off of one of the three springs it rides on due to rough handling of the machine.

If the deck doesn't sit flush with the bottom of the machine cabinet, it will make all sorts of loud noise when it runs.  I have a machine that does that in a tool shop and I have never figured out whether the problem is with the cabinet or the deck.  The tool shop is loud itself so I haven't had any reason to figure it out.  I am guessing the plate on the deck is what's warped though.

I did the fan test AZ suggested on both fans.  It is not the fans.  The compressor seems to vibrate more than normal.  Could it be that it needs new rubber mounts?  Or is there something wrong inside the compressor that causes it to vibrate more than normal?  If so, can the compressor be fixed or must it be replaced?

Nothing you can fix inside the bell housing.  If there are 4 run ber bushings on the compressor then they are fine.  At that point just loosen the base and shove folded cardboard under it.  You can often press down on corners of the base to see where to put the cardboard.  If none of that helps then you'd need to put a new compressor on it for around $800.

Archived