Bev Max 5591 making horrible noises

Hello, and thanks in advance for the help. Have a DN 5591 that cools well and runs quietly until the compressor comes on...then it is the Night of the Banshees! I am thinking the condenser fan is loose and hitting something or failing but I don't know how to get at it...from the front or from the back of the machine...I have a service manual but I have not found a diagram of the refrigeration unit. Any guidance on how to do it is appreciated...also any other diagnosis if my conclusion about the condenser fan is wrong. Thanks again.

You have to access the fans from the rear.  Move the machine out and unplug the machine.  If either fan blade has excess movement front and back then it could be worn out, loose or be a bad motor.  If you hold the fan blade as you start the compressor you can rule out each fan as the problem and then isolate the noise to one fan or the compressor.  If the noise is from the compressor then you can try to muffle vibration with folded cardboard under the compressor baseplate.  Otherwise it would need a new compressor since there is no way to fix a noisy one.

Actually the fan and not the motor...I thought the latter was bad. Turned out the problem was a small rubber grommet where the fan is attached to the motor. That then should be topped with a metal washer with four indents to accommodate small nipples on the rubber piece. Long story short, the washer was missing allowing the fan to change position slightly after eating up the grommet and bang on the frame. Just for closure and FYI...thanks for the guidance.

Archived