Converting r12 to r134a

Edin

I recently purchased soda machine DN276. Its an older 6 select model..I bougt it because I love the small machine..  It came with bad cooling deck.. No freon at all.. It had a small leak and everything came out.. Eitherway I did not even think about because all my machines are newer and they all use R134 I decided to fix the leak,evacuate and vacum the system, and in process of filling up I read its a R12 freeon.. lol. Still I feeled up with 134 and had it run for about an hour. It cooled great. Condensor got frosty and compressor was medium hot.. Everything appeared to work just fine.. Now, I am not a certified AC guy, I used to be an car mechanic and use that knowlege where I can.. My question at this point is Can I leave it like this and have  in my machine just the way it is now.? I know there are "refurbished" cooling decks out there relativly inexpensive and I would use that as my last resort.. the way it is now seems to work just fine but I am not sure?  Had anyone had similar expiriance? I appriciate every input.. Thank you all.. )

I have a similar machine that I put 134 in about 5 years ago and it’s still cooling great. My AC buddy says the Oils aren’t compatible. We tried it in another one and that didn’t work. It only cooled for about a week. 

The R134 will eventually react with the oil in the compressor and cause it to fail, IF the compressor is truly an R12 compressor.  You need the numbers off the bell housing to find out what model compressor it really is.  If there is evidence that it was changed out, new filter drier, a brazed on Shrader valve, etc, then you might have an R134 bell housing on it.  Otherwise it will die a slow death.  

If you want gas that can be used with either type of oil then use MP39 which is R401a.  It's a drop in on both types of freon and is the only gas I used at all for soda machines and old food machines.

1 hour ago, AZVendor said:

The R134 will eventually react with the oil in the compressor and cause it to fail, IF the compressor is truly an R12 compressor.  You need the numbers off the bell housing to find out what model compressor it really is.  If there is evidence that it was changed out, new filter drier, a brazed on Shrader valve, etc, then you might have an R134 bell housing on it.  Otherwise it will die a slow death.  

If you want gas that can be used with either type of oil then use MP39 which is R401a.  It's a drop in on both types of freon and is the only gas I used at all for soda machines and old food machines.

True, MP39 will drop in and work well but it's expensive AF. Almost 4 times the cost of 134A

Thank you.. It seems to be an R12 compressor. Someone in 2015 has added "dupont suve mp39" freon in the past.. left the tag on there.. also there is an tag on the deck itself which says r12 and 8.5 oz for quantity.. At this point  I think I will evacuate entire system again, I do have a cup of r134 compressors from my another soda machines I have scraped in the past..replace the compressor, vacum it out very well for a long time,and recharge the system.. maybe I have a chance to make it right this way.. 

Also, just FYI, the 608 certificate (which is nice to have so you can shop at refrigeration suppliers and be legal) costs like 25 dollars and takes a couple hours. It’s open notes too so as long you have at least a room temeperature iq you should pass it on the first try. Plus you can do it online.

Archived