Update vs replace 4-wide?

I have a hotel that could use an upgrade.  Due to the space and contract, there is only about 33" space for a snack and Pepsi does the soda.  The sales are about 3-4k annually and that's out of an old 3013 with no card reader.  I predict that adding a card reader would boost sales significantly and shorten my service cycle.  I think a national or AP 4-wide will fit.  Question is, would you upgrade something like a 148/AP 112 or get a newer machine such as a 158/168 or 122 OR brand new?  I think getting the soda is out of the question but I think the snack could possibly break 5-6k with card acceptance.

I am new to forum but have AP 113, 148, 167 and 123.  I would go with the 122 or 168.  Easier to price and set up.  No need to get new with projected income and I agree card reader will increase your sales 10 to 25 percent.

I have machine in motel next to Pepsi.  Staff keeps asking me to service Pepsi because they don't.

My rookie opinion.

5 hours ago, lacanteen said:

No problem updating A/P 112, but I wouldn't put any money into a 148. JMHO

I also agree that the sales lift will not be greater than 25%. Realistically, 10-15%

Really?  I figured a hotel would see a big lift.  What about $5-$20 acceptance?

13 hours ago, AngryChris said:

We never experimented with that because we felt it would advertise the fact that there are big bills in the machine and lots of change too. 

13 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I also spot checked a few dozen of our hotel snack machines, though not deep enough to see what if any sales boost came with cashless because we have been using cashless everywhere for the past 5 years and I didn't have time to dig that far back. It usually takes 6 to 12 months to see the permanent effects of adding cashless.

Average daily sales (total) is $8-12, average cashless is 31% of the total. The higher end the hotel, the lower the cashless percentage. This is in line with overall cashless sales being 34% of total gross (company wide, all machines.)

On 3/28/2019 at 8:13 AM, lacanteen said:

I also spot checked a few dozen of our hotel snack machines, though not deep enough to see what if any sales boost came with cashless because we have been using cashless everywhere for the past 5 years and I didn't have time to dig that far back. It usually takes 6 to 12 months to see the permanent effects of adding cashless.

Average daily sales (total) is $8-12, average cashless is 31% of the total. The higher end the hotel, the lower the cashless percentage. This is in line with overall cashless sales being 34% of total gross (company wide, all machines.)

Average daily sales (total) is $8-12, average cashless is 31% of the total. The higher end the hotel, the lower the cashless percentage.

Why is the cashless lower at the higher end hotels???

2 hours ago, EddieMac said:

Average daily sales (total) is $8-12, average cashless is 31% of the total. The higher end the hotel, the lower the cashless percentage.

Why is the cashless lower at the higher end hotels???

I'm guessing because higher end hotels are often paid for or reimbursed by businesses and the visitors carry petty cash for their personal expenses from things like vending machines whereas lower-end hotels may have people who are paying entirely out of pocket and use their cards for everything anyway.

Archived