Bouncy Balls Not Dispensing From Round Gumball Head

Dylan

I’ve been looking for a solution to this madness I’m dealing with and thought maybe one of you would have an answer. I have several double head machines (one head gumballs and the other bouncy balls). Sometimes, and this has only happened with the bouncy balls, I don’t get a bouncy ball when I put in a quarter. After that I’ll keep putting in money but still do not get bouncy balls. But other times these work flawlessly. Sometimes I’ll get 5 bouncy balls in a row but then I won’t get any.  I’m new with machines like these. Am I missing something or is there a beginner error?? As you can see I have the opening of the wheel opened all of the way and the machine isn’t full to the top (top compressing the balls). Thanks so much. 

8EF588FA-D597-485E-8D99-56D0EA574681.jpeg

566E0E4E-8306-48D4-ABFD-3CEC84FA822C.jpeg

What you need is a baffle assembly. Essentially, the weight of the bouncy balls is piling up onto the mechanism and locking it up, or forcing more balls through the wheel at a time then it should. The wheel you have looks an awful lot like a capsule wheel to my eye, but it should still work fine for this purpose. 

What sort of brush guard/spring assembly do you have on the machine? A picture of the head with the assembled wheel but no product will tell us everything we need to know.

As for building a cheap baffle, there's a lot of cheap (as in virtually free) ways to get one, and I'm happy to show you some of the crazy things I've come up with over the years. What will work for you really relies on what sort of springs you might have though, thus why that's important.

Looking forward to getting these working for you!

• Thanks 1

You may want to take the riser out (sits under the wheel and looks like pacman) and see if that helps as well. Looks like that wheel may have had an agitator on it at one time but broke off so I would definitely follow Performa's  advice about adding a baffle.

1 minute ago, Dylan said:

I don’t think it broke off as I bought 13 of these new. 

The top of that wheel looked a little jagged (in the center) and I have seen those agitators break off in the past but if you bought them new that must not be the case.

Wow thank you so much for making my day. I’ll have all 7 of my locations replaced with this tomorrow. Is there a certain diameter of a lid (or something like it )I should be going for? What is too big and what is too small?

You'll want a little wiggle room- I like mine to be able to spin at least, but that's a personal preference. You'd be amazed how much performance can increase once you take even a little weight off of the product wheel so it can do it's thing again without jamming. Let us know how it works for you!

• Thanks 1

So I spent all day putting these in both the gum ball heads and bouncy ball heads in all 7 of my locations. I tested and tested and tested and it worked great. At my last location one spin it didn’t give me a bouncy ball but I tried again and it did. I then proceeded to put 30 quarters in after that and got a ball every single time. I consider that a great success. Thank you so much. 

• Like 1

So after a week of testing this “new setup” I’m finding that I’ll have a fail rate of 1 out of 50. Is that acceptable? Also I had to switch out a machine head with another because the balls still would not come out quarter after quarter. What are your thoughts on this?

I took the riser plate out and I gave it a try. I tried the machine 100 times. Around the 50th try I received 2 balls and around the 94th time I didn’t receive a ball. I’m thinking that the balls in the machine didn’t settle around that time. What do you think. Is that good?

You always want the machine to vend correctly every time but I would say 1 failure to vend out of 100 is fine. If it gives two out once in a while that is far better than none at all. Bouncy balls are a little tacky and occasionally bind up even with the diffuser/baffle in place and riser removed so the occasional misvend will happen. Make sure the wheel is timed correctly (meaning the opening in the wheel is directly over the chute every time after each vend) and I would leave it as is and just monitor it over the next cycle.