Running a extension cord for a drink machine

What kind of extension cord do I need to hook a coke machine up? Also this is my first coke machine. I’m thinking about adding a credit card reader. How does that work? Are there fees? How much? Also would a surge protector be a wise decision? And what kind of surge protector? Also would bottles or cans? Where is the cheapest place to get product?  Thank you for your help

Edited by livinginthe80z

On a drink machine I have found that surge protectors tend not to work so well, most of the ones you get are not rated for the current when the compressor starts, and they will melt - causing problems not solving them.  I do sometimes use them on snack machines.  Most drink machine manuals will advise against using any extension cord, and fire inspectors frown on them as well.  A heavy duty appliance cord as short as I can get that works would be my choice if I had to do that at all.

Card readers are a whole topic unto themselves.   First questions would be is your machine MDB, what make and model, and what version is the VMC software?  If the machine can support a card reader, then you would have to set up an account with one of the companies (ParLevel, USAT, Nayax,)  and buy or lease a unit from them to install.  Plan about $350 per machine to buy and install a reader.  Then there are monthly fees ($ 7-12 a month depending on provider) and a percentage of each card sale.  Leasing spreads out the cost but you usually have to lease in bulk (6 units or more) to get that deal.   It's usually worth it for the sales increase but for a single unit operator it may not be practical. 

1.So I came to the conclusion that a extension cord was not the way to go. Thanks to all the good advice on here. I hired a electrician to run a outlet. (150 bucks) . A good extension cord was gonna cost me 100$ anyway. 

2. Another question is about the card readers I’m not sure just yet what model machine I have . I dropped it off on location a hour after I purchased it. It was pouring down raining and I stuck it in one of the warehouses the location has until Monday . Anyway, if it does have mdb . Does usat,nayax,or parlevel have push notifications to a cell phone for problems with machine or sales of machine or empty columns ? 

3. If I purchased a reader off eBay can I use it? Or does it have to be purchased from one of the companies directly? I’m pretty computer savvy. I build computers as a hobby . I feel confident in my ability to install a reader like these. 

If you put this in a mini storage place you will make zero money.  Even here in Phoenix where it's over 105 most of the summer you can't make any money in mini storage facility.

• Like 1

If you buy a reader on Ebay you still have to have whoever the reader was originally assigned to transfer it. There is some risk in doing this. The readers could be leased or not paid off yet. Buyer beware. I'd say buy a 4g VPOS right from Nayax directly.  It will have a full warranty, good customer service and they engineer their own devices unlike the other guys. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, AZVendor said:

If you put this in a mini storage place you will make zero money.  Even here in Phoenix where it's over 105 most of the summer you can't make any money in mini storage facility.

No it’s not a mini storage place. It’s a trucking company . Not a very big place. 10 employees working on site. And 10 drivers that come and go in and out during the day. I’m sure it’s not gonna to make a ton of money but I’m looking to get my feet wet with some experience. 

5 hours ago, Anacapa Vending said:

If you buy a reader on Ebay you still have to have whoever the reader was originally assigned to transfer it. There is some risk in doing this. The readers could be leased or not paid off yet. Buyer beware. I'd say buy a 4g VPOS right from Nayax directly.  It will have a full warranty, good customer service and they engineer their own devices unlike the other guys. Good luck!

Thank you for the great advice on the transfer. If I buy one I’ll make sure I communicate that I need the seller to transfer the device.  The location I’m putting the machine is little trucking company so I’m just wanting to get some experience operating a machine and servicing the equipment. Just building my little business up slowly. As I can afford it when I can . 

That isn't the right demographic for a card reader.  You need younger employees or a lot of transient traffic to make a card reader worthwhile.  Otherwise it is just a drag on whatever profit you make because you'll pay each month for the card reader whether it's used or not.  You also want high prices, close to $1, since fees are deducted from the selling price.  You have no idea what is entailed in using card readers and this is not the location to learn on.

• Thanks 1

Well, I think you're doing a good thing by starting small and getting your feet wet.  This location will likely yield a lot of stale products but don't let that discourage you.  You'll need better locations.  You should generally only count the workers on site and not drivers.  

Find blue collar locations with 25+ employees.  These small ones are easier to secure and usually do decent enough to be able to rotate some product when you have enough.

5 hours ago, AZVendor said:

That isn't the right demographic for a card reader.  You need younger employees or a lot of transient traffic to make a card reader worthwhile.  Otherwise it is just a drag on whatever profit you make because you'll pay each month for the card reader whether it's used or not.  You also want high prices, close to $1, since fees are deducted from the selling price.  You have no idea what is entailed in using card readers and this is not the location to learn on.

If it's just canned drinks, I'd estimate $100/month but it could do more or less, and I'd lean toward less.

Stales may not be much of an issue with cans but it certainly can happen if you over fill, especially on diet soda.

• Thanks 1

25+ on site meaning 25 employees that work on the premises.  It can be 25+ on one shift or 20 one shift and 10 on the next shift.  Just don't count drivers who are gone most of the day or foot traffic from outside customers coming in to do business.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

25+ on site meaning 25 employees that work on the premises.  It can be 25+ on one shift or 20 one shift and 10 on the next shift.  Just don't count drivers who are gone most of the day or foot traffic from outside customers coming in to do business.

Ok that give me a good rule of thumb . Thanks 

18 minutes ago, AngryChris said:

Edited by livinginthe80z

Thanks for the great information. I really appreciate it. Sounds like your busy . That’s always good. I’d be happy with 100 a month on the one I got. I’ve got 17 bulk candy machines that are doing about 200 a month. I’m rolling the little candy money over to drink machines. Lol. 

Edited by livinginthe80z