Need advice on a National combo machine I'm looking to buy

Hi All,

I made the big mistake of buying combo machines from Seaga over 5 years ago, model HYC950.  All the stories about Seaga and their machines are true.  I should have never bought any machines from them.  Now that that's out there, I'm here because I'm trying to not make the same mistake twice. 

I need to replace one of my Seaga combo machines.  The problem is I need to buy another combo machine.  The client does not have the space for anything other than a combo machine. So I'm stuck. Luckily, the location is worth it.  I don't mind the investment as long as I upgrade to a manufacturer that won't give me the same headaches as these Seaga combo machines.  

Having lurked around the forums for a while now I know that combo machines of any kind aren't a favorite but my client needs a combo machine.   So it is what it is.  The questions are, what options do I have?  The only other combo machine I've found so far is one made by National.

Headaches I'm trying to avoid in the future

1. My biggest gripe is that in the LA, CA area, no tech wants to work on a Seaga machine.  I've easily spoken to about 30 techs.  Luckily I've become pretty adept at servicing the machines on my own but I don't always have the time to do this.  So I need to buy a machine that a tech will want to work on.  Or at least try to work on.

2. I'd like the parts to be more affordable.  Seaga's parts are not by any means affordable.

3. I'm hoping to buy from a manufacturer that can help you out when there's a problem you can't figure out.  I don't mind paying for this perk.  Although, free is always nice.

4. It would be nice if the manufacturer is open to giving out a wiring diagram for their machine as well.  Seaga does not provide this document yet will tell you that their machines are "very easy to troubleshoot and fix" in the same breath.

With all that said, I'd like to know what the forum has to say about this machine.
The National Vendors 797 (MDB Board) Combo Snack/Soda Machine.  What are the thoughts on this machine?

Additional questions I have

1. From a tech's point of view, would this be a unit that a tech would have a problem servicing?  At the moment, if I mention Seaga to a tech they run for the hills.

2. National as a company, how is their customer support?  

3. Parts - Are parts for National machines accessible?  Are they affordable?

4. Wiring diagram - Does anyone know if they provide wiring diagrams for their machines?

5. Reliability - How reliable are these machines?

6. Degree of difficulty to repair - How difficult is it to repair these machines?

If you all have other combo machine options I should be considering please let me know.  Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Thank you!

Floyd

That National model is a good one though personally I preferred the AP LCM Combo machine.  Both will only vend 12 oz cans and I find the AP easier to work on from a cooling system standpoint.  AP was bought by Crane who owned National and neither model is produced any longer but aftermarket parts are readily available for either with some exceptions, such as the evaporator for the AP.  The National has a more confusing electronics system, especially when it comes to their temperature control and that is why I have always shied away from the National machines.  The vendors who preferred Nationals (in my operating days) preferred them because they ran a lot of National machines.  You really have to learn them well by using them a lot or you will be lost in their electronics.  AP, on the other hand, was more user friendly I found and continued to find when I was strictly a repair man.  Crane may still stock some parts for this model as it was one of the later legacy machines they built but their tech support charges per call for help.  On the other hand, any repair technician who is any good will know how to work on either machine.  

I am surprised that no one would even touch a Seaga.  Even though I will tell any vendor to avoid their machines for the same reasons you mentioned, I still worked on them for my customers.  I didn't like to, but money is money.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to update everyone here.  I ended up buying a new AMS Visi-Combo machine.  I'm glad to get out from under Seaga, for at least one machine.  As time moves along I'm going to replace all of these Seaga machines I have.

• Like 1