Sell coins?

Barts

First of all, thanks for taking time to read this.  Second,  BIG TIME THANKS if you reply!

Do any of you sell the coins you collect from your machines to individuals?   If you do, what are your terms of sale?  If you don't, what is/are the reason(s) why.

Again, thank you for your time and any information you offer.

Most of us in full line vending have electronic coin changers which do not accept anything other than modern coins. Those in the amusement business with mechanical mechs will catch the occasional silver coin. 

Yup.

Bulk (gumball machines) have the mechanical mechs and I get some oddball stuff from time to time. Silver, foreign coins (lots of Canadian) tokens, electrical box knockouts, etc.

But as LA said, the snack soda stuff uses electronic mechs and will not accept anything but current US coinage, as they can sense the composition of metals in the coin and will reject it if it isn't right.

As for how I get rid of this stuff the Canadian gets send to relatives in Canada, but the rest of the stuff I collect, unless its just trash. Chuck E Cheese tokens get given to a friend with kids. Silver goes into my silver collection.

But I have seen operators sell stuff by the pound, basically anything that isn't US coins gets dumped into a bucket and sold on CL or ebay by the pound.

11 minutes ago, lacanteen said:

Most of us in full line vending have electronic coin changers which do not accept anything other than modern coins. Those in the amusement business with mechanical mechs will catch the occasional silver coin. 

Thanks lacanteen!  I didn't know that.  

Again, thank you.

28 minutes ago, orsd said:

Yup.

Bulk (gumball machines) have the mechanical mechs and I get some oddball stuff from time to time. Silver, foreign coins (lots of Canadian) tokens, electrical box knockouts, etc.

But as LA said, the snack soda stuff uses electronic mechs and will not accept anything but current US coinage, as they can sense the composition of metals in the coin and will reject it if it isn't right.

As for how I get rid of this stuff the Canadian gets send to relatives in Canada, but the rest of the stuff I collect, unless its just trash. Chuck E Cheese tokens get given to a friend with kids. Silver goes into my silver collection.

But I have seen operators sell stuff by the pound, basically anything that isn't US coins gets dumped into a bucket and sold on CL or ebay by the pound.

Wow, learned more with the first two replies than, obviously,  I knew to begin with.  

Three nuggets here as far as I'm concerned.  Mechanical mech users could very likely be going after what I am, MIGHT find unsorted coins on CL/ebay by the pound, and if buying by pound buy small to begin cuz you might be buying already sorted coins (advertising notwithstanding) that could contain more than just coins.

orsd, big time THANKS for taking time to reply and the info.

• 6 months later...

Little late to the party here, but randomly we do get silver US coins through our non-MDB coinco changers....

Heads up, a silver quarter is currently worth 3.05 in scrap silver, and a silver dime 1.25.  Not a bad return on just .25 and .10.

Plus to anyone who has time to search modern quarters that make it through ALL coin changers (if they are working),  The West Point mint is issuing a handfull "W" mint mark quarters of each of the 2019 national parks.  These "W"'s can sell for about 20.00+ to a collector.  My wife and I have found 3 so far.

One other one to watch out for is the 2004-D Wisconsin state quarter with an extra leaf on the left of the corn stalk.  The extra leaf varieties can sell for 60-70.00 and up depending on condition.

Not to mention 1.00 bill Web Notes and Barr Notes.

Thing is having the time to search for these.