Cracking Peanut M&Ms

livinginthe80z

2 hours ago, livinginthe80z said:

I serviced my route yesterday and almost all heads with peanut M&Ms are cracking. Badly. Any suggestions?

Temperature variations (cold to hot, hot to cold) will often cause cracking. Consistently warm temperatures caused by direct sunlight or no air conditioners will cause the shell to deteriorate in short order as will high humidity. Product age also plays a role but if the product is stored at a consistent temperature (60-75 degrees) they can last 2 years. Make sure you are not filling the machine all the way to the top with product unless sales warrant it. The extra weight will accelerate the cracking towards the bottom of the globe especially if it is warm. 

One thing I have noticed is that since Sam's has moved from the 62oz bags to the 62oz jar the product seems to be scuffed up and more pieces appear cracked. I assume they don't settle as well in the jar as they do in the bag and get bounced around more. Once you start to notice cracks in the Peanut M & Ms you need to get them out of the machine pretty soon especially if it is warm. They stale much quicker, look unsavory to the customer and will fall victim to Indian Meal Moths before you know it and that turns into a real mess.

• Thanks 1