Bulk vending tootsie rolls?

pipsqueakfmab

Hi I’m fairly new to the vending business

I recently ordered a few u turn machines from a guy near my area. He had tootsie rolls jammed into small capsules. Apparently, he was vending them through a gumball wheel. Has anyone done this? 

I can see other small products like caramels outselling candies like skittles and Gumballs etc... 

maybe it’s personal preference, but I would choose a tootsie roll any day to hard shell candy :)

Peanut M&Ms are pretty much my #1 product. I have 17 locations and every location every month peanut M&Ms out sell everything else. Skittles are #2 . Skittles are cheaper than peanut M&Ms and give a flavor contrast to the chocolate.That’s the candies I run . My personal taste is.............. I don’t like candy lol. Btw I installed a 6 head candy rack about 2 weeks ago and I put in CARAMEL M&Ms in one of the heads. I’ll let you know if they sell. 

Edited by livinginthe80z

3 hours ago, pipsqueakfmab said:

Hi I’m fairly new to the vending business

I recently ordered a few u turn machines from a guy near my area. He had tootsie rolls jammed into small capsules. Apparently, he was vending them through a gumball wheel. Has anyone done this? 

I can see other small products like caramels outselling candies like skittles and Gumballs etc... 

maybe it’s personal preference, but I would choose a tootsie roll any day to hard shell candy :)

Years ago I had a bar location that asked me if I could do big Lifesavers through my bulk equipment. I used 2" capsules and put 4 big Lifesavers in each for 50 cents. Sold ok for a while and fizzled out within 6 month and I never tried anything like that again. I feel the price point was probably too high and the customers perceived it as a poor value. I have also run the Candy Shop mix (2in capsules @50 cents) from A & A and had success in high traffic locations with kids. The Tootsie Rolls that fit in the 1.1 in caps are very small so the perception even at a 25 cent price point may be they are not getting their money's worth. Your cost would be fine at probably less than 6 cents each when all is said and done. Putting the candy into the capsules is labor intensive but wouldn't be prohibitive unless you wanted to do it on a large scale. Some people may also like the added hygienic quality of wrapped/capsuled bulk candy but I'm not sure it will be a huge driver for sales. I think the result, like any other candy fare in bulk vending, will be mixed. Good luck with it.