Mars VFM1 Problem

Hello all, I'm VERY new to vending in general. I picked up an older Pepsi machine at an auction and it was working great for the past two years. Now the bill acceptor starts kicking on at random. No one will be at the machine at all and you can hear it across the warehouse spinning like someone put a bill in. It also won't take a dollar when you try to put one in. It happens once or twice an hour. Any idea what could be wrong? It's a Mars VFM1-L1-U2CS. I've seen them refurbished on ebay for around $100, but if it's as terrible as everyone seems to say it is, am I better off replacing it with something else? I'd appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 9:00 PM, Grispy said:

Hello all, I'm VERY new to vending in general. I picked up an older Pepsi machine at an auction and it was working great for the past two years. Now the bill acceptor starts kicking on at random. No one will be at the machine at all and you can hear it across the warehouse spinning like someone put a bill in. It also won't take a dollar when you try to put one in. It happens once or twice an hour. Any idea what could be wrong? It's a Mars VFM1-L1-U2CS. I've seen them refurbished on ebay for around $100, but if it's as terrible as everyone seems to say it is, am I better off replacing it with something else? I'd appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks!

While this was a very good validator in it's day (I still have one that works) you'll find that most refurbishers won't touch it as  they can't get the parts.  For a Soda machine, the VN2512 wold be your best bet.  Unfortunately, most suppliers of refurbished validators won't take yours as a core exchange so you'll end up paying a bit more.

Ps. I'd be highly skeptical of anybody on Ebay with a "refurbished one".  It's been at least five years since any good refurbisher would touch one of these.

The only parts that can be new on one are the belts and those will be aftermarket.  Mars hasn't supplied new parts for them for several years so any other parts replaced are used ones from junked validators.