Card Reader install - Royal 804

Wanted to share this experience and see if anyone has a better idea... went to install a USAT card swipe on a new Royal 804 today (bottler machine).  Knockout was available above the validator, so I proceeded as normal.  Did not pay attention to the fact that the screw posts for the knockout were wider than the validator posts until I went to place the card reader and backing plate... no bueno.  The card reader fit fine but the backing plate did not even come close to the mounting posts.  Poor design or intentional? 

Anyway, my quick and dirty fix was to use gorilla tape inside the machine to stabilize the card reader in the knockout, then reinstall the validator, which extends over the back of the card reader to keep it from being pushed in to the machine.  It works and the customers can't see the creative engineering, but I would like a more secure fix.  Input??  Thanks in advance.

You can either buy the mounting plate for a Royal from USAT (different from what comes in the box) or remount the knockout plate after putting the card reader on.

In the second option, mount the card reader to the plate included in the box and put it in the opening and reinstall knockout plate running the wire out the top. Just don't tighten too much and pinch the wire

• Like 1

Those openings were still designed for the first generation of card readers like Danyl and Debitek and they never changed the openings as new card readers took over the market with bill validator footprints.  It was one of Royals more tone deaf moves over the years, which were few until the recent plant closing.

You run into the exact same problem on Vendo 721 and 720's.

I don't like drilling into machines if I can avoid it.  You can purchase adapter plates for the Vendo's, but I've found you can leave the card reader mounted to it's mounting plate and put it in the knockout, then use large body washers on all four corner mounting studs to lock it in place works very well.  It's solid and sturdy.

1 hour ago, Chard said:

You run into the exact same problem on Vendo 721 and 720's.

I don't like drilling into machines if I can avoid it.  You can purchase adapter plates for the Vendo's, but I've found you can leave the card reader mounted to it's mounting plate and put it in the knockout, then use large body washers on all four corner mounting studs to lock it in place works very well.  It's solid and sturdy.

I ordered maybe 8 adapters plates from Vendo.  I only needed about 4 but they were on back-order so I ordered more than I needed since they were so cheap.  The downside was that there minimum charge was something between $50 and $75, so you need to order something else to make the minimum just to get the adapter plates.  It's a little off topic but just a gripe I have.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, David801 said:

Did you have to do any programming to the machine to get the CC to work?. I'm installing one now with Crane telemetry unit and Curenza ready.  When I swipe the card the reader says Disabled By Vending Machine.

No, but the bottler refurb on mine probably included a firmware update.  You may have an older version or there may be something with the crane telemetry....