Amusement Vending in Arizona

arenorthvend

Hey everyone. I'm trying to get a vending route going in Arizona. I was thinking of starting a pop and snack route, but also looking at other possible opportunities that come up, and amusement vending sounds interesting also. I have been doing some research in the cities of Phoenix and surrounding cities and this stuff is complicated for amusement vending. It seems almost every city here makes you register your machines in their city, and pay certain fees per machine, from $20 a year up to $50 a year per machine.

The main thing I'm having trouble figuring out is the state of Arizona has an interesting law that is a little weird. In theory I guess it's a good law, but I think it would also limit the machines that I could use. Here is the law:

"13-3312. Crane games; prohibited acts; classification

A. It is unlawful for a person to knowingly cause or commit the following actions:

1. Altering or maintaining a crane game so that the claw is physically unable to grasp exposed prizes.

2. Displaying prizes in a crane game in a manner so that the claw is physically incapable of grasping exposed prizes.

3. Misrepresenting the value of prizes in crane games.

4. Using cash or currency as prizes in crane games or awarding prizes in crane games which are redeemable for cash or currency.

B. A person who violates this section is guilty of a class 1 misdemeanor."

So my question is about section 1. There are some crane machines out there, probably the newer ones, where the crane strength is weak until the machine has made a certain amount of money. So I'm assuming these types of machines would be illegal in Arizona if I'm reading this right.

If you are new to vending then focus on one thing to begin with.  Can soda is the best starting point as it sells the best in our heat, of course.  Once you are comfortable with handling soda machines then you can branch out to snacks.  With snacks you need a minimum of 5 full size machines out so you can minimize your stale products.  You can get machines from many sources.  Craigslist has some good deals but you have to know how to test and repair machines just to buy one in that way.  There are several individuals who sell used machines how are capable of getting them location ready for you.  That will cost more but is money well spent.  Don't buy from anyone who tells you they can finance you or that they can find you locations.  That's the beginning of an expensive road.  I can refer you to a couple of people if needed.

Don't dabble in amusements unless that is all you're going to do.  You have to fully understand any avenue you take and amusements is the much tougher road.  The law you quoted above isn't vague.  It says you can't rip people off.  Your machines have to have a real chance of winning and you can't have them never pay off.

14 hours ago, AZVendor said:

If you are new to vending then focus on one thing to begin with.  Can soda is the best starting point as it sells the best in our heat, of course.  Once you are comfortable with handling soda machines then you can branch out to snacks.  With snacks you need a minimum of 5 full size machines out so you can minimize your stale products.  You can get machines from many sources.  Craigslist has some good deals but you have to know how to test and repair machines just to buy one in that way.  There are several individuals who sell used machines how are capable of getting them location ready for you.  That will cost more but is money well spent.  Don't buy from anyone who tells you they can finance you or that they can find you locations.  That's the beginning of an expensive road.  I can refer you to a couple of people if needed.

Don't dabble in amusements unless that is all you're going to do.  You have to fully understand any avenue you take and amusements is the much tougher road.  The law you quoted above isn't vague.  It says you can't rip people off.  Your machines have to have a real chance of winning and you can't have them never pay off.

Thanks AZVender! I really appreciate the advice. I'm trying like crazy to get locations, but nothing seems to be working. I know I need to get comfortable just going to these places and talking face to face. I know I can be a good salesperson, but just getting out of my own head is challenging sometimes. I thought that by trying every avenue, I may be able to get more locations, but your right. I need to try and focus on one thing at a time and get comfortable with it.

I have seen there are a few companies out here that refurbish and warranty their machines. That is the avenue I'm going for. Especially never cracking open a machine for myself I don't need to be dealing with problem machines right off the bat. I'm also trying to buy newer machines even though they cost more. I have the capital to get something good off the ground quick, but finding locations is becoming irritating.

19 hours ago, arenorthvend said:

Thanks AZVender! I really appreciate the advice. I'm trying like crazy to get locations, but nothing seems to be working. I know I need to get comfortable just going to these places and talking face to face. I know I can be a good salesperson, but just getting out of my own head is challenging sometimes. I thought that by trying every avenue, I may be able to get more locations, but your right. I need to try and focus on one thing at a time and get comfortable with it.

I have seen there are a few companies out here that refurbish and warranty their machines. That is the avenue I'm going for. Especially never cracking open a machine for myself I don't need to be dealing with problem machines right off the bat. I'm also trying to buy newer machines even though they cost more. I have the capital to get something good off the ground quick, but finding locations is becoming irritating.

Quick question, who is going to fix your machines once you find some locations? Just because they are newer or refurbished doesn't mean stuff isn't going to break. Any downtime on any machine is money lost.... 

8 hours ago, brmorr said:

Quick question, who is going to fix your machines once you find some locations? Just because they are newer or refurbished doesn't mean stuff isn't going to break. Any downtime on any machine is money lost.... 

I haven't gotten that far in the process, but I'm assuming the company I'm buying the refurbished machines from will offer service or at least have good recommendations as to who I could use.

14 hours ago, arenorthvend said:

I haven't gotten that far in the process, but I'm assuming the company I'm buying the refurbished machines from will offer service or at least have good recommendations as to who I could use.

This exactly what I am talking about. If you go through the place that you bought machines from or someone they suggest, it's not going to be cheap. I know if you called me to do a service call on any of your amusement games out on location, its going to run you some $$$. Might want to learn some repair in case something breaks down, if you don't you can kiss your profits goodbye.

19 hours ago, brmorr said:

This exactly what I am talking about. If you go through the place that you bought machines from or someone they suggest, it's not going to be cheap. I know if you called me to do a service call on any of your amusement games out on location, its going to run you some $$$. Might want to learn some repair in case something breaks down, if you don't you can kiss your profits goodbye.

Well that is the hope, especially being smaller. I love mechanical machines, so I won't really mind tinkering and youtubing fixes that I could do myself. The companies that I'm looking to buy from offer free lifetime phone support, so I should be able to troubleshoot a lot of the problems myself without having to call a tech out.

Offering free lifetime support is until they retire, die or go out of business. ;)  You will become a great nuisance if you don't learn to do things yourself or they will get tired of the "free service call, line one" calls they get and tell you that a tech needs to look at it.  It happens to all of us.  Email me the names of who you are working with and I can give you some guidance.  I probably know most of the players.  rbepic4gatgmaildotcom