New member introduction/Seeking advice

Jarvis

Hello my name is Jonathan, Thank you guys for allowing me to join. I am a full time commercial plumber looking to start a small vending business I currently own two drink machines DN 276 as well as a DN 501e. I have only been at it for a little over a week now the 276 is running great in a slow location however the 501e needs a little attention before it is ready be placed. I have learned a great deal looking through the forums I would like to thank everyone for donating there time and knowledge, 7 days ago prior to discovering your site I knew nothing about vending machines... I purchased a DN 501e  from Craigslist that seems to be in great working order other than the coin mech has been removed. The bill validator is present MArs model VN-2511 I believe it has been refurbished and someone has wrote on it in sharpie 24v. There is a Y cable Present connected to the validator that leaves  me a 6 pin connecter for my coin mech that I am missing. Despite all my searching I can’t find a clear description of what coin mech I should choose from the approved list written on the machine. I would like to operate the machine using multi price. If someone could point me in the direction of the proper thread, or maybe we could create a topic... choosing the right coin mech/validator combination for the SllD  I would be very appreciative. Thanks for all advice I apologize for the length 

The length is not a problem - AngryChris still writes novels.  Use a Coinco 9302GX or Mars TRC6512.  Both are dependable 3 tube coin mechs.  Your machine runs MDB which is what these mechs are.  With most MDB machines the validator harness plugs into the machine and then the coin mech plugs into the validator harness.  Non-MDB machines and a few USI MDB machines use different interface methods.

• Haha 1

Yep. Any MDB mech will work, you can even add a card reader.

Good mechs: Coinco 9302 GX, Guardian. Mars TRC6512, CF 7512. The first and third options are known as 3 tubes, hold less change but are cheaper. The other 2 are 5/6 tube mechs, hold a lot more change so nice if you get a bunch of 5s. But they’re more expensive.

Thanks for your recommendation I realize now I was just over thinking it. I couldn’t find a clear answer because almost any mdb coin mech would work. That’s like asking what brand tires go on a 2008 Honda Accord. I ended up buying a Coinco vortex vtx-100 because I got for such a good price. Now that I have it I kinda wish I would have went with the 9302Gx. What is your thoughts on the vtx-100 as far as features/reliable? I am not a big fan of the way it doesn’t stack the coins and has to stir them, to me it just seems like something else that could fail.  Everything seems to be working fine with the mech so far, I do have an issue with my VN-2511 validator when my machine is first plugged in or unplugged/plugged back in to reset both the coin mech and validator goes through its initialize process and checks out ok. When I put a bill in the validator it   Accepts the dollar and gives me my credit, vends my selection and gives me correct change, the vend price is set at 55cent. After that the mei bill validator stops working and gives me 2 red flashes. Coin hoppers 2 rolls of coins each in them so I don’t believe it is for lack of change. Even though the validator is in fault mode I can use coins in any order  correct change or go over the preset price of 55cent and the machine will vend as well give me my change if needed. I am going to continue trying to research this problem to find a fix before ordering a new validator. I would appreciate any advice, I am going to be a vending machine technician before this is over haha 

You need to remove the coin mech and empty all change from the hoppers. Reinstall it and enter the tube fill mode in the programming. Then drop all the coins you have in the hoppers into the top of the coin mech so the machine can count all the coins. Without knowing how many coins are in the coin mech no MDB machine will accept bills.  As to the stacking issue, it's not an issue unless bills get jammed up due to incomplete stacking of prior bills.  If that happens then you need to get the validator repaired or return it to whomever you got it from.

The vortex is trash.  While it may work for you, which is excellent, the problems with it are as you suspect.  The whole "stirring" motion as it tries to dispense coins is a part that can and will jam/fail.  Almost every veteran vendor I know despises the vortex and I think the general consensus is the same for the 4-tube Coinco "Quantum Pro".  In fact, the ONLY MDB Coinco mech I recommend is the 9302-gx.  Not only is it the only MDB coinco mech I recommend, it is one of the best MDB mechs ever made.  The older coincos are actually fine but newer Coincos are trash.  In fact, I don't think you can buy any new coincos anymore.  Mars has the better units but Mars/MEI is owned by Crane so it's just a guessing game as to how they are going to screw us all over by discontinuing things.. but they can do that because they have such a monopoly over much of the mech/validator market.

As an alternative to tube fill you can also buy a bunch of drinks with change.

But yes, your intuition with the Vortex is spot on. That is the part that causes issues with those mechs, usually jams which result in failure to payout change. With the Vortexes they work ok when new but they are extremely intolerant of wear so they have short service lives. After a little while they start jamming, and once they do throw it away. Also (this goes with any mech) is to make your prices even quarter increments. Ie .25, .50, .75 or 1.00. Reduces the chances you’ll run out of change.

I had a feeling the vortex would have a short service life, it does seem like a bad design. I got it shipped to me off eBay for $60  claiming to be refurbished, at the first sign of trouble I will switch it out for the 9302-GX.

Back to my validator issue  I read on one of the older posts here that the.   MEI VN-2511 is pulse only, and will not communicate  with a mdb coin mech. I did follow the installation guide on the vortex where I put it into count mode, it allowed me to put the coins through the machine without displaying the amount on the screen. I’m still left with the same problem as soon as it accepts its first bill it goes into 2 flash fault mode. I believe I need to order a mdb validator I have intentions of offering more expensive items  such as energy drinks, I would benefit from being able to accept larger bills 5s should be suffice.  Is there any specific models you guys would recommend? I have the y cable for connecting the mei vn series  if I go with another I may need different wiring 

Yep. Older E series shipped with 110v mechs and validators. They have a connector for 24v MDB as well, which it sounds like you are using for the mech.

What you need to do is to get a Mars VN 2xx2. The first digit is the series, you want a 2. Second digit is the sub model. 3 is older and only does 1s. 4 and 6 won’t work, those are AE amusement validators. 5 and 7 are good. Third digit doesn’t matter, usually a 0 or 1. This denoted the mask it shipped with but they get swapped all the time, and it really don’t matter. 4th digit is the important one. 1 is 110v which you have now. You want a 2 for 24V MDB.

• Like 1

UYeah I am not sure what I have here, I believe it has been refurbished because it looks like who ever done this knew what they wanted to accomplish it has a paper tag that has been tapped down covering model and voltage at both locations stating VN-2511 both places they are listed on the validator. 24v has been written in sharpie under the dip switches  I removed the tag and under it it says AE2411U5 115vac... I really do appreciate you guys helping answer all my questions. I got great news yesterday, after meeting with 2 business owners yesterday I secured one of the locations. It’s a full service Carwash that will do way more volume than I am used to. Failure isn’t an option here for that reason i am gonna order the 9302gx  as well as another validator.. if something happens i need to change em out quickly