WMH-188 Challenger Claw Machine Claw Not Opening, Hot and Smoking

ATGV

I have a WMH-188 Challenger Claw Machine and the claw lowers but will not open to grab a prize. The claw assembly is hot to the touch and giving off smoke with a burned wire smell. Has anyone encountered this issue and know the fix? Any help is much appreciated!

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks, I checked the solenoid and it was burned up. I replaced it, and the same issue, claw lowers but won't open. I touched the claw and it was extremely hot, so I unplugged the machine. My next step will be to check the voltage going to the solenoid (the red and white wires). Anyone know what the correct voltage should be?........I'm thinking maybe the VR1 and VR2 meters or control knobs are bad and sending too much voltage to the claw?.......sorry for all of the questions as I'm not in the business and the machine is for home use.

Claw2.png

Claw1.png

If the claw is closed then it is probably in a claw strength test mode. Once you killed the power to the machine the claw should open up.  If the crane is in test mode then that would explain the solenoid overheating because it is constantly sending power to the claw. I have included a manual that I found on the internet. Hope this helps.

https://brokensecrets.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/wmh-188-manual.pdf

• 9 months later...

If the solenoid is engaged regardless of mode, I would be looking to the driver board.  There must be either a shorted component (transister or driver ic) engaging that solenoid.  It will eventually swell the coil until the core can't move freely.  It shouldn't be hard to find as the shorted component should be hot to the touch. Be careful though, I've left my finger prints on shorted transisters before. 

• 9 months later...