MEI 4-in-1 Bezel vs Standalone card reader - which is better for customers ?

SPARK

Is one more preferred by customers than the other ?  Do customers get confused by the 4-in-1 bezel ?

I like the "no additional holes to drill" BUT the standalone card reader has it so a customer inserts their card, the MEI 4-IN-1 bezel does not.

Any advice on what to go with ?

13 minutes ago, SPARK said:

Is one more preferred by customers than the other ?  Do customers get confused by the 4-in-1 bezel ?

I like the "no additional holes to drill" BUT the standalone card reader has it so a customer inserts their card, the MEI 4-IN-1 bezel does not.

Any advice on what to go with ?

I have heard of it happening where people try to jam their card into the bill path but I don't think it's actually possible for that to really happen but maybe it can get stuck in there if they try hard enough.  They do get confused at first but once they figure it out, it's not an issue.  The people that swipe their card know to use the swipe and the people that use cash know where to put the cash.  If you get worried about it, just put a sign up for a week or two letting them know the side is for the swipe and the bottom is for bills.  The only time it can really be a pain is at locations with constant outside traffic.  They might all be first-timers.

10 hours ago, AngryChris said:

I have heard of it happening where people try to jam their card into the bill path but I don't think it's actually possible for that to really happen but maybe it can get stuck in there if they try hard enough.

I have seen it once at a hotel location, the reader was separate but the (intoxicated) customer managed to force his credit card all the way into the validator.  I found it when I went to clear the jam, it was bent into a curve to match the bill path.... returned it to the hotel who knew the customer as a regular, but he had never complained to anyone about the issue!

Which is better for the customer?  I doubt the customer cares as long as they can figure out how to use it.  Yes, there are some challenged customers who can't seem to learn without help (I see them at gas pumps also)  but most can look at it and get with the program.  I use both depending on the machine, the 4 in 1 is much easier to install on the BevMax, and for any machine that needs to stay ADA compliant sometimes the reader mount can be too high.  Otherwise the extra cost of the MEI bezel is not necessary.