Best Cashless Set up

rjh914

I'm getting ready to add card readers to several machines.  This will be my first step into cashless operations.  

Ideally, I'd like to find one set-up and use the same type for all my equipment.  I'm not afraid to spend a little more if the features warrant it.  Essentially, I'm looking for the best VALUE in card readers and CC processing companies.  What do you folks recommend?

Also, I'm running some older equipment.  Can it all be upgraded with a card reader reguardless of age?   If not, what are the requirements.

Thank you! 

Nayax and USAtech are the big players. About the same cost, I personally slightly prefer Nayax because USATs customer service, well let’s just say it’s almost as bad as the DMV.

The requirements typically are that the machine supports MDB. This means that your mech and Val use a small, 6 pin plug (power off machine whenever you unplug or plug in anything). However, this is not a gurantee, as some early MDB machines don’t like to work with readers. For other machines you may need a software update. (Usually supplied as a chip that is plugged it/ replaced on the board) Also note that for some machines, you will be able to have a card reader work but you will not be able to get cash sales data remotely. Go to the downloads section here and look for something called USAT compatibility guide. It will list pretty much every machine that can have a card reader. 

As for the older stuff, yes most can technically be updated to take cards. But the question to ask is, is it worth it? Most conversion boards run 3-400, and add to that the cost of a MDB mech and Validator and you quickly approach 6-700. For me that’s simply not worth it considering I can get newer stuff that can support MDB for not much more. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the education - greatly appreciated.

Did the "USAT Compatability Guide" get moved?  I can't seem to find it in the downloads section.

An additional question, how do the card readers communicate with the merchant company?  Do they use wireless internet, or do they need to be hard wired on location?

Thanks!

As for communications the monthly service fee (as an aside the fees are typically 300/reader for equipment (one time until the reader becomes obsolete) then 8/mo and 6% of all card sales) covers cell phone data service (all the cell equipment is built in)  which the reader uses for communications.

Also the fees cover all merchant fees, the rest goes directly to you.

Edited by orsd

• 3 weeks later...

Upgrades required depend on the control board in the machine.  Some can be upgraded with a new Eprom chip, or a flash upgrade, and others may require a new board.  I have been installing some of the InOne boards in my snack machines to bring them up to cashless and so far have been very happy with the process and the product.  Costs will of course vary depending on the type and extent of the upgrade.  I can have Dixie Narco S II D boards upgraded fairly cheaply (less than 50 if my memory serves); to upgrade to an InOne board for a USI Snack will be around 300 for the parts kit.

3 hours ago, Southeast Treats said:

Upgrades required depend on the control board in the machine.  Some can be upgraded with a new Eprom chip, or a flash upgrade, and others may require a new board.  I have been installing some of the InOne boards in my snack machines to bring them up to cashless and so far have been very happy with the process and the product.  Costs will of course vary depending on the type and extent of the upgrade.  I can have Dixie Narco S II D boards upgraded fairly cheaply (less than 50 if my memory serves); to upgrade to an InOne board for a USI Snack will be around 300 for the parts kit.

An SIID EPROM is just over 20 from Dixie. 

Easy to swap too. 2 screws, pull cover. Locate eprom, note the orientation (there will be a half moon notch on one end). Pull old, insert new (don’t bend any pins)

Done. Extra credit, swap the CR 2032 button cell battery while your at it.

Edited by orsd
  • Like 1