Average # of Vends Per Group Question

mikejody

Greetings,

Can anyone tell me an average, or your own personal, number of vends per day per group of 10 people, 20 people, 50 people, etc? I know this depends on a lot of things, like location, kind of food, price and probably a lot more. I'm just trying to work out the numbers and am curious if anybody has any insight into this.

I'm talking specifically about beverage and snacks.

So for instance, how many vends from:

10 people at location daily:

20 people at location daily:

50 people at location daily:

and so on.

Thank you for any insight.

that is something you would have to find out by running the machine at the specific location, what my machine makes in 24hrs in a fast or slow location may be the complete opposite, the same, better or worse in your location, you cannot compare 2 locations, unless they are close to each other, and doing that may not even give you an estimate as a barber shop and a pizza shop are super busy, one will always make more even though they are right next to each other, so its never a good idea to estimate of how good or bad a particular location can be, run it, and find out.

if youre installing gumball machines, then i can tell you that per head on each machine, you are most likely guaranteed to make at least $10, 2 heads $20 and so forth, but then again some will make more and some will make less in the same time period, just service some more, and the others less.

6 hours ago, NYCandyMan said:

that is something you would have to find out by running the machine at the specific location, what my machine makes in 24hrs in a fast or slow location may be the complete opposite, the same, better or worse in your location, you cannot compare 2 locations, unless they are close to each other, and doing that may not even give you an estimate as a barber shop and a pizza shop are super busy, one will always make more even though they are right next to each other, so its never a good idea to estimate of how good or bad a particular location can be, run it, and find out.

if youre installing gumball machines, then i can tell you that per head on each machine, you are most likely guaranteed to make at least $10, 2 heads $20 and so forth, but then again some will make more and some will make less in the same time period, just service some more, and the others less.

"I'm talking specifically about beverage and snacks." But thank you for your thoughts, very helpful!

1 hour ago, mikejody said:

"I'm talking specifically about beverage and snacks." But thank you for your thoughts, very helpful!

It depends on many things. Blue collar vs white, nearest 7-11, race (Asians don’t use vending), etc.

I do realize these things, I'm just trying to think of the best way to match machine to business. They may want the Bevmax Media, but with 10 employees that would not work for me. It might work if they had 100 employees. So I'm just trying to figure out how to match machine to location. As I'm new at this, how do I know if we can supply a location with what they ask for, if I have no way to qualify it. Just move the machine in and test for a month or two? Then we're faced with having to move machines all over as we test them. Is there just no way to know? No metrics we can use?

Here's a VERY simple number you can use.  $100/worker per year.  That's a reasonable simple (not very accurate but good enough) number.  Does a 10 employee account deserve a bevmax media?  No.  Regular bevmax? No.  New stack vendor? No.  Refurbished? No.  Is there anything you might justify?  Sure, a cheap $500 can machine,but only if those 10 employees are all in a warehouse/factory setting.  If it's an office, you just walk away because they are idiots if they think they somehow should get one of the most expensive high-volume machines on the market.

For a lot of locations, you can start with 1 vend per employee per week as a rough average, and adjust from there for type of business, competition, worker composition, outside traffic, etc... a place with 10 employees would be hard pressed to support any machine.  I usually want to see 30 or 40 employees minimum to even think about placing machines.

There are exceptions, of course.  One of my best producing machines is a full service car wash with only about a dozen employees, but they work in the Florida sun all day with no other options close, and the customers waiting for their cars also buy a good bit of product. 

1 hour ago, Job Site Vending said:

I am new to vending and I have been trying to evaluate locations based on an average $/person/wk. I have been using $2-3/person/wk for white collar locations and $3-4/person/wk for blue collar locations. Do these figures line up with what you experienced vendors have seen?  

Those are too high for me (particularly white collar) but it depends on your market.  I have a 10-man shop that does $60/week.  I also have a courthouse with maybe 40 employees that does $25/week.  Everything I relevant but I'd say $1-$2/week per person in white collar and 2-5/week for blue collar.