Dixie Narco Coin Mech Issue

Romano71

Getting 2 light flashes (disconnected from VMC). This machine was given to me by the account where it was sitting for over a year and I had it all working during my initial inspection before stocking it. Long story short it lets the coins drop right through to the coin return now. Before I buy a refurbished mech I wanted to ask one last time with a photo of the model. I was told it needed coins in it to work, tried that, I was told to bypass the harness to see if it was that. No luck and I've inspected it for any damage or dirt and it seems fine. Any ideas?

2020-01-15 17.01.35.jpg

Edited by Romano71

Was the picture taken before or after you filled the coin tubes?  Does the machine show any errors on the display when you open the door? If you hold down the door switch, does the display show “wait” while it cycles? 

The photo was taken after it was removed from the machine. I don't recall if it says wait but most of my machines do. My next option is to take it to another stop and plug it in to see if it's the mech or the machine. Keep in mind the machine is functioning normally other than not taking coins. The door switch is depressed when you close the door so I can't see that being the issue. 

Edited by Romano71

Since the machine seems to be disabling it, my thought was to check the possible issues like a faulty door switch, making sure the door is closed before trying to vend, making sure any errors the machine is displaying are attended to first. It my be a faulty changer, but the “disables from VMC” seems to point to an issue with the machine. 

I have other machines that do this to the dollar bill acceptor on occasion when I empty them and I just clean it and it eventually corrects itself. With a coin mech there is no electric eye so I'm kind of out of options. Vendors exchange told me to bypass the harness and that's not it. They think it's the mech.

2 hours ago, cvending said:

If it is a Dixie Narco 276 you may just have a stalled motor. If it’s 276E then it could be something different check the model of the machine and make sure which model you have

It's probably a 276e since he has an MDB mech.

By stalled motor, he's probably talking about a vend motor.  If your machine has 6 columns, it's a 276 (not 276e).  If it has 7 columns all the same width, it's a 276e.

Most older 276's (non E models) were single price.  Most 276e's are multiprice.  It matters when you need to diagnose machines.

The 6512 is a great mech.  Since you say the machine had been working on bills-only most recently and if that is still the case AND if you can vend all columns with bills then it's a bad coin mech.  However, since it's an MDB machine and the coin mech and validator are daisy chained together, unplug the validator and plug just the coin mech into the mach by itself (turn power off first).  If it then works the validator is the culprit. 

Why would a stalled motor effect the coin mech?  YouTube videos claim it’s an internal ribbon cable ($28) that goes bad or dirt (it was pretty spotless). They are less than $50 for a replacement so I went through it all today and cleaned it. If the reinstall doesn’t work I’ll buy a replacement.

C39CBBDB-5DDA-4EBC-9806-D85F9E95C689.jpeg

4 hours ago, AZVendor said:

The 6512 is a great mech. 

I bet it was.  I have thrown the last of mine out because they keep failing too quickly and rumor has it that parts are going away.  Crane/MEI apparently discontinued the 7512 within the last few months too.

Vendors exchange wanted $149 plus shipping for the same model refurbished. So I figure I saved $115 today. Plus I already have one in another machine so I’m familiar with it. Even their tech said to junk the 6512. 

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 10:13 AM, savend said:

Was the picture taken before or after you filled the coin tubes?  Does the machine show any errors on the display when you open the door? If you hold down the door switch, does the display show “wait” while it cycles? 

where is the door switch located on a DN501e?